1-22: Doug Whaley and Rex Ryan on WGR

1-22: DOUG WHALEY TALKS FREE AGENCY ON WGR (17:47)

WGR550

Whaley on his recent contract extension: "It goes to what the Pegulas have said from the beginning: They want continuity."

Whaley on hiring of Kathryn Smith: "She's qualified and she earned the position....everything we do is win-driven."

Whaley on trying to re-sign free agents: "Right now, it's pretty restrictive...we have complete confidence we'll get (free agents signed)"

Whaley on Percy Harvin: "The first thing for Percy is that he has to get healthy." Says Bills would love to have him back

Whaley on Mario Williams: "Right now he's under contract so we're worried about our restricted and unrestricted free agents"

Rodak

Doug Whaley notes on @WGR550 that the Bills are over the 2016 salary cap and VP Jim Overdorf will "work his magic" this spring.

Doug Whaley says on @WGR550 that the Bills will "seriously look into" drafting a WR, but notes that is true for all positions.

Carucci

#Bills GM Doug Whaley on WGR 550: "Right now, we're over the cap." Re-signing FAs won't be easy.

Rex is on now.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1-22 REX RYAN ON WGR (16:05)

WGR550

Rex Ryan coming up NEXT on WGR

Carucci

Rex Ryan on WGR 550 on hiring twin brother Rob: "That's a huge hire for us ... going to be a huge, huge help for us."

Rex Ryan on WGR 550 on long-standing friendship w #Bills DC Dennis Thurman: "He's like a brother to me."

Rodak

Rex says he’s taking criticism of him and Rob personally. “I think it’s hilarious. I just say, look at the background and see what happens."

More Rex Ryan to @WGR550 on him and Rob being criticized: “Someone’s gonna be right and I know who that somebody is."

Whaley: Our cap situation is pretty restrictive

Senior Bowl week is currently on the front burner for the Bills personnel department, but prior to leaving for Mobile, Alabama, the front office had a personnel meeting to discuss their offseason priorities concerning their current roster with their own free agents the focus. Naturally Richie Incognito and Cordy Glenn remain at the top of the list with both set to become unrestricted free agents in less than two months. But Buffalo’s salary cap situation has to be rectified first.

Appearing on Bills flagship station WGR Sportsradio 550, GM Doug Whaley outlined how at the outset heading into the new league year in March, the Bills have some financial maneuvers to make as they are currently over the projected salary cap for 2016.

Which is further proof the Bills were going all in last year. Great D, question mark at QB, so do whatever you can to beef up the offense. Tyrod was a pleasant surprise and the offense in general was improved. No one could imagine the D would suck.

For once, reading "Overdorf will work his magic" actually makes me feel better

I feel that he isnt tied down in terms of money and contracts like he was in the past

CBF

He is very restricted with how he and the Bills have handled the cap. No amount of magic will fix it unless you think releasing 1/3 of the roster is a good idea.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Um.. I was thinking how he has more freedom now in restructuring contracts thus creating more cap room

CBF

Restructuring is a lot more difficult than people think as you need the players permission to do so. Deferring cap hits is also not a good plan either IMO especially if Tyrod ends up the guy and they have to sign him to a monster QB deal. Eventually you have to take the hit. The only player that will give the Bills potentially a few extra million is Clay. Restructuring won't do much in adding the needed cap space to sign 1st tier FA's if they are keeping Glenn and Incognito anyways.

Restructuring is a lot more difficult than people think as you need the players permission to do so. Deferring cap hits is also not a good plan either IMO especially if Tyrod ends up the guy and they have to sign him to a monster QB deal. Eventually you have to take the hit. The only player that will give the Bills potentially a few extra million is Clay. Restructuring won't do much in adding the needed cap space to sign 1st tier FA's if they are keeping Glenn and Incognito anyways.

If I recall, it was mentioned at the time that the Bills structured Clay's deal in a very smart way that, in a practical sense, prevented Miami from matching but would give the Bills flexibility this year. I think that was actually some astute cap planning at OBD.

Players who want to win will routinely agree to restructure. Cutting Mario is going to add big $$ to the kitty. There are other moves to be made.

I am not worried about the Bills not being able to re-sign the players they want to re-sign, while still retaining the other key pieces.

If I recall, it was mentioned at the time that the Bills structured Clay's deal in a very smart way that, in a practical sense, prevented Miami from matching but would give the Bills flexibility this year. I think that was actually some astute cap planning at OBD.

Players who want to win will routinely agree to restructure. Cutting Mario is going to add big $$ to the kitty. There are other moves to be made.

I am not worried about the Bills not being able to re-sign the players they want to re-sign, while still retaining the other key pieces.

Cutting Mario is only going to give the Bills money for Glenn and maybe a very small portion of Incognitos salary.

Also, keep in mind the 2015 base salary cap was 143 million. Even if you project generously that it will go up by 10 million that brings the base salary cap to 153 million. Even with that added extra 10 million and carryover (if there is even any) the Buffalo Bills will probably start the off season over the cap still or very, very close to it.

More Rex Ryan to @WGR550 on him and Rob being criticized: “Someone’s gonna be right and I know who that somebody is."

Rex has zero credibility with his off-season predictions, here or with the Jets. Why does he still say these things?

And "look at the background"?? His brother's background has more pink slips that Kaitlyn Jenner's closet...

Rex has zero credibility with his off-season predictions, here or with the Jets. Why does he still say these things?

And "look at the background"?? His brother's background has more pink slips that Kaitlyn Jenner's closet...

I am not defending the Roby Ryan hiring at all cuz I am in total wait and see mode but.....

it does need to be said.....yes he keeps getting fired....he keeps getting hired to