FAA: Rams stadium possible hazard to aviation

http://crankyflier.com/2016/01/19/los-angeles-may-have-the-rams-back-but-the-faa-has-problems-with-the-stadium/

You know Stan Kronke never considered the impact having LAX two miles from his dream stadium would have. The FAA is like the Spanish Inquisition...Nooooone expects them to eff up your plans until they do. I've had several FM radio projects get derailed by these guys before.

http://crankyflier.com/2016/01/19/los-angeles-may-have-the-rams-back-but-the-faa-has-problems-with-the-stadium/

You know Stan Kronke never considered the impact having LAX two miles from his dream stadium would have. The FAA is like the Spanish Inquisition...Nooooone expects them to eff up your plans until they do. I've had several FM radio projects get derailed by these guys before.

There has long been talk about it so close to LAX. I have no idea what Kroenke has done, if anything about it. But it's not as though he never thought about it or people didn't bring it up. The first thing you would say if someone asked where it is would by "right by LAX."

There has long been talk about it so close to LAX. I have no idea what Kroenke has done, if anything about it. But it's not as though he never thought about it or people didn't bring it up. The first thing you would say if someone asked where it is would by "right by LAX."

Is it the old Hollywood Park and LA Forum site? Why would there be a problem with a football stadium but not hoop or a horse track? Maybe it isn't that site. I thought I read that somewhere.

Is it the old Hollywood Park and LA Forum site? Why would there be a problem with a football stadium but not hoop or a horse track? Maybe it isn't that site. I thought I read that somewhere.

Mainly it's the height of the stadium but in this case it's also potential disruption to radar.

There's a high-rise in Arlington, on the landing path to National Airport (maybe a mile away), that the FAA had serious reservations about...but finally permitted (even though some people from Saudi Arabia bought the top three floors and turned them in to a penthouse). I think a stadium two miles away from LAX should be fine.

There's a high-rise in Arlington, on the landing path to National Airport (maybe a mile away), that the FAA had serious reservations about...but finally permitted (even though some people from Saudi Arabia bought the top three floors and turned them in to a penthouse). I think a stadium two miles away from LAX should be fine.

This one..and a more recent case...the Santa Clara 49ers stadium is in an approach path for San Jose International and about 2.5 miles away. It will be interesting.

I was at the Forum over the New Year holiday. Its a great site -- Kronke has more than just a stadium planned -- its multi-use retail, office and I even believe some residential. Its got wonderful existing access...

Except that according to the link provided above, a report questioning the impact of the stadium on LAX approach radar came out in November. Sounds like the stadium designers assumed if the 20 year old design was OK, their lower design would be fine and didn't consider materials.

Not sympathetic to FM radio projects that are questioned, the upper FM frequencies butting right against the lower FM frequencies used by ILS (instrument landing system) approaches (used by enroute navigation too, but that's largely redundant).

Once looked out the left window of a commercial airliner shooting the ILS 30L into STL. Got a prime view of a billboard much TFC to the plane's left wingtip. Pilot exited the cockpit looking as though he saw God and his Angels next to the Fires of the Pit. Found out pilots had been reporting intermittant interferance with the localizer for a couple of months. That kind of thing is a bear for the FAA to track down as it can have nothing to do with their equipment. Could be some ijit with a pirate FM station only operating intermittantly, who knows. I doubt the rest of the plane had any idea how close they came to glory.

agreed. Nothing a couple quick bribes couldn't clear up. Or do they call it lobbying now?

You want the safety and convenience of an aviation system running on bribes and with more radar holes than a habitrail maze, move to Brazil. Hear the beaches are great thataway.

Edited by Hopeful

You want the safety and convenience of an aviation system running on bribes and with more radar holes than a habitrail maze, move to Brazil. Hear the beaches are great thataway.

I'd say he's just fine where he is for a place where the safety of the public falls short to big business. Watch that stadium get built as planned.