Most Loathed Coaches All-Time

Who are the opposing coaches you loathe the most, either because of their personality, or how they dominated the Bills?

These are my top five.

1. Bill Belichick

2. Don Shula

3. Jimmy Johnson

4. Bill Parcells

5. Bill Cowher

Belichick is #1 by a mile, for so many reasons. There is a big drop off between every other one, except Shula and Johnson, whom I could have rated 2.a. and 2.b.

If this topic already exists, could someone please refer me to it? Thanks.

(If you could include other sports, I would have Tom Heinsohn in there.)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Belichik and Shula are tied for #1. Although he's recent history, I'd have to put Marrone as #2 though by the way that he quit on the team. Sure, it was well within his rights to take the buyout, but his handling of it was the true test of his character. As for my #1 choices, they're both cheaters; although, at least Shula was THE greatest coach ever. Takeaway Brady, and what does BB have? Parcels' coattails and nothing else!

Who are the opposing coaches you loathe the most, either because of their personality, or how they dominated the Bills?

These are my top five.

1. Bill Belichick

2. Don Shula

3. Jimmy Johnson

4. Bill Parcells

5. Bill Cowher

Belichick is #1 by a mile, for so many reasons. There is a big drop off between every other one, except Shula and Johnson, whom I could have rated 2.a. and 2.b.

If this topic already exists, could someone please refer me to it? Thanks.

(If you could include other sports, I would have Tom Heinsohn in there.)

perfect list

perfect list i think Shula is very close to #1 in my book but never was caught like BB has been

Bellichick is number 1 of anyone I can remember. Shula to me is mitigated by the fact that I saw the latter half of his career (late 70s to 95) where he had ceased to be dominating. Jimmy Johnson was also obnoxious with the Cowboys, but a joke with the Fins.

Edited by Livinginthepast

Belichick is #1 by a mile, for so many reasons.

Really? Belichick isn't even in Shula's universe as far as I'm concerned. Jimmy Johnson would be second.

I don't really hate Belichick at all. He's probably the best coach of all time, and I completely appreciate how he addresses idiotic questions from the media (last week's "how do you plan to use Chandler Jones" being the latest example.

Yea I thought that too. How could anyone hate Tony Dungy? He's like the nicest guy in the NFL. That's like hating Marv Levy

Maybe he confused Tony with Herm Edwards. :lol:

I'll go with:

Don Shula

Barry Switzer

Jimmy Johnson

Bill Parcells

Herm Edwards

Bear in mind I have only watched the NFL since 2002 - here are mine:-

1 - Belichick - a grudging respect I just hate that he is in our division to beat us twice a year.

2 - Chip Kelly - obnoxious man, overrated football coach

3 - Mike Shanahan - overrated coach and difficult personality

4 - Jim Harbaugh - very good football coach but I couldn't be in a room with him for an hour he is an exhausting personality

5 - John Gruden - very high opinion of himself based on a Superbowl win where he beat his offense with someone else's defense.

I honestly considered putting Rex #5. Before he was hired as Bills coach he'd have been on this list. Another year like this past season he might reappear.

Edited by GunnerBill

Bear in mind I have only watched the NFL since 2002 - here are mine:-

1 - Belichick - a grudging respect I just hate that he is in our division to beat us twice a year.

2 - Chip Kelly - obnoxious man, overrated football coach

3 - Mike Shanahan - overrated coach and difficult personality

4 - Jim Harbaugh - very good football coach but I couldn't be in a room with him for an hour he is an exhausting personality

5 - John Gruden - very high opinion of himself based on a Superbowl win where he beat his offense with someone else's defense.

I honestly considered putting Rex #5. Before he was hired as Bills coach he'd have been on this list. Another year like this past season he might reappear.

funny you mention that about Harbaugh. He just slept over at a HS kid's house on a recruiting visit. Creepy.