A treatise on a new stadium

Beerball

when HSBS opened, there was a written understanding that the old "aud" would/could not compete.

Yep.

Related: Go to google images and search "Pontiac Silver Dome." After the Lions moved to Ford field, the Silver Dome became a money pit albatross for Pontiac MI.

The Ralph would be also.

Edited by boater

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many are assuming it will be sterile. We don't know that to be the case at all. Is Canalside sterile? Do you think the Pegula's have shown that they will do things in a cookie cutter fashion? I don't. They seem to like to move in silence then make a splash when they do show up. I would think a downtown stadium would be something that fits the city while at the same time standing out in a good way architecturally. It won't be jerry world, but it would be recognizable in its way. And if I recall correctly, when they bought the team, Terry Pegula said there would eventually be a new stadium. He didn't say when, but he said it would be. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

I am pretty certain in will be sterile. Assuming its an indoor stadium, all indoor stadiums seem very sterile to me. On TV and the few I have been to in person. You watch a game from DET, DAL, IND, STL, ATL, it always seems to be muffled, dark, every game is miscellaneous.

Anyways, I know Pats fans who long for the day when they can go to their old venue. Some actually go to one Pats game a season and it is the one played here. Like Kirby said... one of the "reasons" will be so they can properly "stratify" the seats. You will have the wealthy closest to the field and on the sidelines. The common fans will be pushed into the corners and far away. This will dampen the atmosphere even more. I'm sure there will also be all sorts of amneties and peripheral B.S. that will take away from the game.

How many Sabres fans wish they could have the Aud back? I would probably pay much more than my current STH price for that. We will feel the same way with Ralph Wilson Stadium.

Maybe we can get the best of all worlds with RWS? We can keep the nostalgia, site lines, amazing fan involvement... but also revamp it in a way that makes more money for the NFL, and at the same time, keep costs more reasonable. For most of the over the top perks going into these new venues, I do not believe we have enough clientele. The thing that drives the NFL in this town are the common fans. I would say it is similar to Green Bay. Do they have a lot of over-the-top perks at that stadium?

I think it is also important to imagine how crazy ticket sales would get if the Bills can crack into the top 1/3 of the league for any period of time. We would absolutely have a locked in waiting list and they would be able to steadily drive ticket prices up each year and people will happily pay. It will also become a destination for all NFL fans like I mentioned.

Pretty up RWS and take another look at things in 2025. It's the only option that survives the steely eye of logic.

A new downtown stadium would come with $50.00 parking, PSL's & on & on. It ain't broke - don't fix it.

GO BILLS. !!!

Pretty up RWS and take another look at things in 2025. It's the only option that survives the steely eye of logic.

A new downtown stadium would come with $50.00 parking, PSL's & on & on. It ain't broke - don't fix it.

GO BILLS. !!!

Concur!

And I pray to be here in 2025.

I wouldn't be in such a hurry to want the new stadium. It's going to be downtown and tailgating will be a shell of what it is now. Also higher ticket prices and more traffic. I think we need to enjoy the Ralph while we can

You realize the NFL AND the Bills want this, right?...

GO BILLS. !!!

In the NFL's eyes, it is broke, and NFL > Everything else.

You realize the NFL AND the Bills want this, right?...

In the NFL's eyes, it is broke, and NFL > Everything else.

Well.. yes and no.

Pegs just wants to win and fill the stands and have a positive cash flow... including the TV contract.

The NFL can wish whatever they want--screw them and they aren't everything else.

If they were 'everything else' they would have had a team in LA 10 years ago.

Vin... what history does Arrowhead have over the Ralph?

Not much. In all honestly, it's not that highly regarded and they probably should have built a new stadium. The only thing Arrowhead has going for it is that the Chiefs won a championship there and that the scoreboard is shaped like a football.

Edited by vincec

I would like to see them do something with the Ralph like was done with Lambeau.

http://www.ibmadison.com/In-Business-Madison/August-2013/A-brief-history-of-Lambeau-Field-renovations/

I completely agree. A new billion dollar stadium is a colossal waste of money that can be spent on far more worthwhile needs... the Ralph is completely update-able, sits on a huge lot and is one of the best seating venues in the league.. just keep updating it.

I'm surprised at how many fans seem to want an old stadium with limited amenities as long as it has cheap parking and low ticket prices. That doesn't sound like something a franchise committed to the highest quality and to a great fan experience would embrace.

I completely agree. A new billion dollar stadium is a colossal waste of money that can be spent on far more worthwhile needs... the Ralph is completely update-able, sits on a huge lot and is one of the best seating venues in the league.. just keep updating it.

Not gonna happen. Orchard Park is too far away from the Pegulas' new center of activity which is downtown Buffalo.

It is almost a certainty that anything that was deemed feasible, affordable and worthwhile was included in the previous renovation. To think that they are going to do a second, affordable renovation and add a bunch of features is very, very unlikely. You are either going to spend a ton of money to make significant changes or put lipstick on it.

Pegula's can tell the league they're fine with the current stadium and there's nothing the NFL can do to force a new stadium. I love how Roger has let up on pushing the issue.

If I'm Terry I recognize the value and tradition of tailgating and keep it alive for the fans regardless of where I choose to build.

I would tighten up a few parking lots with some more security, reasonable new rules like a better garbage disposal plan, a memo on how to have sex before the game inside your car instead of up against it, fire safety 101 etc.

I think the people saying its gonna be a dome with parking garages and no tailgating are the ones that were sure the Bills were getting sold and moved a few years ago--they'll assume the worst until they actually see it happen.

Personally I like my 74 inch tv and the whole family over for the Bills games every Sunday, football throw at halftime in the front yard, 2nd tv on red zone, no traffic, great seats for all and lots of food and drink, even after halftime.

Pegula's can tell the league they're fine with the current stadium and there's nothing the NFL can do to force a new stadium. I love how Roger has let up on pushing the issue.

If I'm Terry I recognize the value and tradition of tailgating and keep it alive for the fans regardless of where I choose to build.

I would tighten up a few parking lots with some more security, reasonable new rules like a better garbage disposal plan, a memo on how to have sex before the game inside your car instead of up against it, fire safety 101 etc.

I think the people saying its gonna be a dome with parking garages and no tailgating are the ones that were sure the Bills were getting sold and moved a few years ago--they'll assume the worst until they actually see it happen.

Personally I like my 74 inch tv and the whole family over for the Bills games every Sunday, football throw at halftime in the front yard, 2nd tv on red zone, no traffic, great seats for all and lots of food and drink, even after halftime.

How's your wifi situation?

Recalling the municipal breakdown of services due to the snow emergency a year ago....that relocated the Jets game to Detroit a day later than scheduled, I am thinking the Erie county isn't the best idea in the world........basically the county exec and others told the NFL they couldn't allow the game to go off as scheduled as they didn't have the police, or other emergency personel to deal with the game and the ongoing emergency. Now, if not Erie county, where....Niagara County? Batavia? The point is a domed stadium would not have saved the situation for the Jets game....they just couldn't handle the cars on the road and the usual traffic, drunks driving etc etc. So, Orchard Park was a bad choice in 1970's.....it would be an ongoing bad choice 50 years later...as would the city of Buffalo. I don't know all the statistics, but, I can tell you that Buffalo's national reputation for snow is based on the snowfall in the southtowns. I can also tell you that Niagara county gets about 1/3 the snow that falls south of Buffalo based on multiyear averages. All the city location talk is really brave talk imho.....I think a regional look see has to be done.......the pols all want to put it in the city......urban redevelopment etc etc., but, I, as a season ticket holder, will never attend a game in downtown Buffalo. The traffic nightmare deters me in the extreme.

Niagara county is more corrupt, nothing gets done, and has a fraction of the tax base. It's not even in the conversation.

Last year was a 100 year weather event. People were in danger. Football takes a back seat

Edited by May Day 10

Recalling the municipal breakdown of services due to the snow emergency a year ago....that relocated the Jets game to Detroit a day later than scheduled, I am thinking the Erie county isn't the best idea in the world........basically the county exec and others told the NFL they couldn't allow the game to go off as scheduled as they didn't have the police, or other emergency personel to deal with the game and the ongoing emergency. Now, if not Erie county, where....Niagara County? Batavia? The point is a domed stadium would not have saved the situation for the Jets game....they just couldn't handle the cars on the road and the usual traffic, drunks driving etc etc. So, Orchard Park was a bad choice in 1970's.....it would be an ongoing bad choice 50 years later...as would the city of Buffalo. I don't know all the statistics, but, I can tell you that Buffalo's national reputation for snow is based on the snowfall in the southtowns. I can also tell you that Niagara county gets about 1/3 the snow that falls south of Buffalo based on multiyear averages. All the city location talk is really brave talk imho.....I think a regional look see has to be done.......the pols all want to put it in the city......urban redevelopment etc etc., but, I, as a season ticket holder, will never attend a game in downtown Buffalo. The traffic nightmare deters me in the extreme.

The idea of a stadium in Niagara county or Batavia is a joke. It's not a solution and it would create more problems than the stadium in OP or downtown.