A treatise on a new stadium

Beerball

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree on using rws for a retrofit.

It's a great place to see a game, and increasingly becoming a destination for all fans and that will increase over time. We have something unique. Many are in a hurry to trade it for a sterile, common place.

I don't think we have the high end clientele anyways who will pay top dollar for all the amneties.

Actually, "daily" means morning and afternoon rush hours, which are approximately the same length as traffic for sporting events. Anyone who thinks leaving the Ralph is easy with no traffic problems please raise your hand. People here are pretending like you can get home in 15 minutes or something.

Also, anytime you can spend public money and have something to show for it like a new stadium, and have most of the money go to local businesses (in the design and construction industry) and that will support other local businesses (like restaurants and bars) then I'm all for it. It's a lot better than money that disappears without a trace into overhead positions or the upsurd amount spend on political campaigning.

I take the metro to the Sabres games and have never had a problem getting to and from the games easily and in a timely fashion.

I have to drive as 99% of sabre supporters do & that is a problem. Until Buffalo comes up with 22 miles of track it always will be a problem. Buffalo can't pay the police (lawsuit this week) so don't look change. Where was the architect from for the last Ralph fix up ? Not local. Construction workers? I saw a fair amount of out of state plates last fix up.

How would tailgating cease to exist?? Maybe "jumping on fire tables" and acting like a drunken fool would be monitored or more arrests of obnoxious fans, but would there be a ban on a group/family gathering for BBQ and beers before a game? Seriously, I've heard people say tailgating would disappear but I don't know if that is the case.

The acreage doesn't exist to allow surface lots at any downtown site. Result: they'll build parking garages like Niagara Center has. That's not conducive to tailgating.

There aren't going to be tents, canopies, grills, small generators and RVs in a parking garage.

The acreage doesn't exist to allow surface lots at any downtown site. Result: they'll build parking garages like Niagara Center has. That's not conducive to tailgating.

There aren't going to be tents, canopies, grills, small generators and RVs in a parking garage.

Quite a few open air lots down near the lake, old factories, etc. I think Pegulas would keep tailgating in mind (as dumb as that sounds). They are aware of our traditions.

Quite a few open air lots down near the lake, old factories, etc. I think Pegulas would keep tailgating in mind (as dumb as that sounds). They are aware of our traditions.

Yes.. I believe BBF is right. Pegs would be copacetic to tailgating.

But this stadium would likely be built with public money. So the nanny state politicians and "preservationists" will have their say. They'll get their panties all in a knot about tail gating.

The recent Youtube videos of tailgating Bills fans being complete Bevis/Buttheads to the power of 10, doesn't help.

Context: it looks like last call will change from 4 AM to 2 AM even though the 4 AM closing has not been proven a problem--that's what NY pols do--change stuff for change sake to make a campaign talking point.

2 AM closing will just drive drinking underground unsupervised.

Oh.. and all the lost tax revenue and payroll for shaving 14 hours off the weekly cash register and payroll... really?

I apologize. You didn't intend to hit a raw nerve and cue a rant. Try the first three sentences, then stop reading.

Edited by boater

I have to drive as 99% of sabre supporters do & that is a problem. Until Buffalo comes up with 22 miles of track it always will be a problem. Buffalo can't pay the police (lawsuit this week) so don't look change. Where was the architect from for the last Ralph fix up ? Not local. Construction workers? I saw a fair amount of out of state plates last fix up.

It's called park and ride. Try it.

Do you realize that next season the Bills will play in the 4th oldest stadium in the NFL, and that's already undergone a major renovation? The ones that are older are Soldier Field, Lambeau field and Arrowhead Stadium. All of these have significantly more history associated with them than RWS.

Also, I hear what your saying and don't want to shoot the messenger, but I have to point out that you may be biased in a discussion about moving the stadium.

Edited by vincec

It's called park and ride. Try it.

Do you realize that next season the Bills will play in the 4th oldest stadium in the NFL, and that's already undergone a major renovation? The ones that are older are Soldier Field, Lambeau field and Arrowhead Stadium. All of these have significantly more history associated with them than RWS.

Also, I hear what your saying and don't want to shoot the messenger, but I have to point out that you may be biased in a discussion about moving the stadium.

i would respectfully disagree about the ralph not having significant history. it does not rival lambeau, but is on par with the others, if not more so. the greatest comeback? OJ?, the bills of the 90's, 4 superbowl appearances.. the 51-3 victory in the snow over the raiders in the AFC title game just as the gulf war was starting and the nation was watching as the news dept would cut into the game. i say retro the ralph..

i would respectfully disagree about the ralph not having significant history. it does not rival lambeau, but is on par with the others, if not more so. the greatest comeback? OJ?, the bills of the 90's, 4 superbowl appearances.. the 51-3 victory in the snow over the raiders in the AFC title game just as the gulf war was starting and the nation was watching as the news dept would cut into the game. i say retro the ralph..

Maybe you could make a case for Arrowhead, but it's not even close to Soldier field, IMO. Both Bills championships were when they played at War Memorial remember.

Edited by vincec

Maybe you could make a case for Arrowhead, but it's not even close to Soldier field, IMO. Both Bills championships were when they played at War Memorial remember.

fully aware about the AFC championships, but my take from your post was that the ralph doesnt have the history, etc. if you are looking at past years, the romance of the game, the elements, lots of shots of OJ running with the flakes in the background, snow games before they suddenly became fashionable, anyway, dont wanna get too much in the weeds, but while not lambeau, fenway, wrigley field, the ralph does have a bit of historical panache.

..snip..

I take the metro to the Sabres games and have never had a problem getting to and from the games easily and in a timely fashion.

Well that's just dandy, if you live within walking distance of a Main Street metro station.

98% of us do not live near the subway to nowhere.

$50 parking!

Yes, that will be an issue.

Yes.. I believe BBF is right. Pegs would be copacetic to tailgating.

But this stadium would likely be built with public money. So the nanny state politicians and "preservationists" will have their say. They'll get their panties all in a knot about tail gating.

The recent Youtube videos of tailgating Bills fans being complete Bevis/Buttheads to the power of 10, doesn't help.

Context: it looks like last call will change from 4 AM to 2 AM even though the 4 AM closing has not been proven a problem--that's what NY pols do--change stuff for change sake to make a campaign talking point.

2 AM closing will just drive drinking underground unsupervised.

Oh.. and all the lost tax revenue and payroll for shaving 14 hours off the weekly cash register and payroll... really?

I apologize. You didn't intend to hit a raw nerve and cue a rant. Try the first three sentences, then stop reading.

I'm with you and understand your argument. I'd rather tailgate at Hammers and go to games at RWS. But, the original argument was that "tailgating would be done" with a downtown stadium...I don't see that happening.

I've written a few times why a retro fit isn't a realistic option. The main reason is that in RW Stadium the best locations aren't combined with the best amenities. That will have to be the case to maximize revenue moving forward. If you use the NBA for example the floor seat holder pay anywhere from $350 to a few thousand per ticket per game. With that they have parking, exclusive events, food, drinks, private clubs, behind the scene access, etc... Those people are willing to pay that premium because of the combination of view of the game, "prestige" of the seats and all of the perks.

I am not suggesting that the Bills charge floor seat prices. They will however need to combine their best locations with the best perks. That's the only way to do it. The reason that it won't work at RWS is because you will lose too many current people. People do not downgrade locations. Trust me, I oversaw a ticketing department for close to 10 years. It doesn't work that way. So what are the Bills going to do with the people that have had tickets for a long time that are 20 rows up at midfield? Their tickets are currently $1000 per season and they will be a minimum of $2500 - $5000 per season in that same place. In order to be able to get those prices while not angering everyone they need the clean slate of a new stadium. With that there will not be a sense of ownership from the people that previously sat there. They do not have their same friends around them, same routine, etc... You obviously give the 1st crack based on tenure but if they will naturally fall to a place that best suits their budget.

It is a little bittersweet because many of my best memories are from the Ralph. At the same time it's exciting to have a new modern stadium. From a business perspective though, regardless of what is said, it isn't practical.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Kirby, I was waiting to see how long it would take for you to step in. Does this ever tire you?

I love RWS, but the idea of something new is kind of exciting too. I rarely get back these days, but when I do it's special. Since I have zero control, I'll find other things to worry about. But I get how the regulars have strong opinions.

Kirby, I was waiting to see how long it would take for you to step in. Does this ever tire you?

I love RWS, but the idea of something new is kind of exciting too. I rarely get back these days, but when I do it's special. Since I have zero control, I'll find other things to worry about. But I get how the regulars have strong opinions.

Ha ha, no I don't mind. I don't have a dog in the fight. I love RWS but a new stadium would excite me as well.

I am one of those people that I was referring to earlier FWIW. I have season tickets on an aisle, row 20, at the 30 yard line with my brother. I know that at the new stadium I probably will have to sacrifice my sight lines some. I don't think that I will be paying $3000 a ticket (not for the 2 games a year that I get to).

Ha ha, no I don't mind. I don't have a dog in the fight. I love RWS but a new stadium would excite me as well.

I am one of those people that I was referring to earlier FWIW. I have season tickets on an aisle, row 20, at the 30 yard line with my brother. I know that at the new stadium I probably will have to sacrifice my sight lines some. I don't think that I will be paying $3000 a ticket (not for the 2 games a year that I get to).

Those are awesome seats! I happen to be an aisle freak. Can't stand being trapped in the middle. Went to an Atlanta Hawks game last year stuck in the middle with zero leg room. I literally walked the entire second half as I was too claustrophobic to return to my seat. One of the guys with me walked too. I'll pay a premium for the aisle. That was a big factor in my seat choice for the Titans game this year. Do they charge differently for aisle vs right in the middle? I bet they could. (At least with me!)

It's a great place to see a game, and increasingly becoming a destination for all fans and that will increase over time. We have something unique. Many are in a hurry to trade it for a sterile, common place.

Many are assuming it will be sterile. We don't know that to be the case at all. Is Canalside sterile? Do you think the Pegula's have shown that they will do things in a cookie cutter fashion? I don't. They seem to like to move in silence then make a splash when they do show up. I would think a downtown stadium would be something that fits the city while at the same time standing out in a good way architecturally. It won't be jerry world, but it would be recognizable in its way. And if I recall correctly, when they bought the team, Terry Pegula said there would eventually be a new stadium. He didn't say when, but he said it would be. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.