OLB JOSHUA PERRY
OHIO STATE
114: R4P19
DE SHELDON RANKINS
LOUISVILLE
144: R5P17
WR BRAXTON MILLER
OHIO STATE

This draft would be phenomenal, amazing and utterly spectacular! I don't see it happening on a hot day in hell (what do I know?), but good lord that would be awesome!

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We need two offensive linemen, one as a starter (early pick unless a FA)? Hope the front office figures this out even if many in this thread can't seem to. Apparently Henderson and Kujo are satisfactory. Good luck with that.

RT is the one spot I'd look to fill in FA. There's a handful of guys (Schwartz / Beachum / Barksdale / Osemele / Andre Smith) available who would be an upgrade over our in house options and I'm not overly thrilled with the prospect of using a 1st or 2nd round pick on a RT.

the idea that the Bills don't take a qb in the first 3 rounds strikes me as implausible.

Really? I just don't see it. I don't see them wasting a pick on a guy with question marks when they need a starting RT, a starting WR, a starting S and up to 3 starters in the front 7. My thought is that the Bills will try to get at least 3 starters out of this draft class. I used to think that it was a distinct possibility but as I look at the draft board I don't see the "who" you would slot in? I certainly don't think that they take one before round 3 and am thinking that round 5 or 6 is more likely.

Really? I just don't see it. I don't see them wasting a pick on a guy with question marks when they need a starting RT, a starting WR, a starting S and up to 3 starters in the front 7. My thought is that the Bills will try to get at least 3 starters out of this draft class. I used to think that it was a distinct possibility but as I look at the draft board I don't see the "who" you would slot in? I certainly don't think that they take one before round 3 and am thinking that round 5 or 6 is more likely.

The problem is, the Bills seem to feel this way nearly EVERY year about drafting a QB relatively early, and this goes back decades. It's a gamble, of course, but if you don't enter the lottery, you have no chance of winning. The QB position is so so so so so much more important than LB or safety that it demands more attention than Bills have historically given it. Who that player is I don't know, but I'm guessing the Bills will have a chance at some point to draft a player out there who will end up being a solid NFL qb.

Edited by dave mcbride

The problem is, the Bills seem to feel this way nearly EVERY year about drafting a QB relatively early, and this goes back decades. It's a gamble, of course, but if you don't enter the lottery, you have no chance of winning. The QB position is so so so so so much more important than LB or safety that it demands more attention than Bills have historically given it. Who that player is I don't know, but I'm guessing the Bills will have a chance at some point to draft a player out there who will end up being a solid NFL qb.

I think that the Bills are in the best QB shape that they have been in since the 1990's. I don't see them looking for another guy that you hope can get to the level that Tyrod just played at. That is what you are talking about with the guy you will be considering. Goff is off the board and everyone else has serious flaws.

Realistically, maybe 2 of these QBs turn out better than Taylor. One of them is likely to be Goff. With that being said we have to pick the 1 other guy out of ALL of the QBs coming out that may be as good as Tyrod. That is asking a lot. We are not in the desperate place that we have been for years when it was ignored. If Losman or Edwards or EJ or Holcomb were under center than yes, you take your chances. The Bills aren't in that situation. They are in search of a long-term answer as a backup. It is more likely than not that Tyrod is the guy. If he is not the Bills will be picking early next year and have a chance to get the franchise guy. Reaching for a 2nd tier guy isn't going to upgrade the starting position IMO.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I think that the Bills are in the best QB shape that they have been in since the 1990's. I don't see them looking for another guy that you hope can get to the level that Tyrod just played at. That is what you are talking about with the guy you will be considering. Goff is off the board and everyone else has serious flaws.

Realistically, maybe 2 of these QBs turn out better than Taylor. One of them is likely to be Goff. With that being said we have to pick the 1 other guy out of ALL of the QBs coming out that may be as good as Tyrod. That is asking a lot. We are not in the desperate place that we have been for years when it was ignored. If Losman or Edwards or EJ or Holcomb were under center than yes, you take your chances. The Bills aren't in that situation. They are in search of a long-term answer as a backup. It is more likely than not that Tyrod is the guy. If he is not the Bills will be picking early next year and have a chance to get the franchise guy. Reaching for a 2nd tier guy isn't going to upgrade the starting position IMO.

There has to be someone in the first 100 picks and who falls after #18 who is a better option than Manuel. I refuse to believe that this isn't the case. I expect Manuel to be gone anyway, and for the Bills to eat the contract.

I'm not sure the Bills are sold on Taylor, btw. I think he's very good, but this is a big year for him.

The Pack didn't need to spend a 4th on a QB last year but they did. They didn't need to spend a first on Rodgers either but they did (Favre had 5 good years left in him).

Edited by dave mcbride

19: R1P19
DE DEFOREST BUCKNER
OREGON
49: R2P18
OLB DARRON LEE
OHIO ST
80: R3P17
OLB JOSHUA PERRY
OHIO STATE
DE SHELDON RANKINS
LOUISVILLE
WR BRAXTON MILLER
OHIO STATE

While this would pretty much be a dream draft, people need to just look at what some of the draft boards look like right now. Let's take CBS as an example. Walter's, ESPN, and others are very similar +/- a few spots.

Deforest Buckner - Would love the pick at 19th. However, most boards have him as a consensus top-10 prospect. CBS has him 10th. Likely gone unless we trade up.

Darron Lee - Most boards have him top-25. CBS has him 17th. So he's going to basically slide an entire round to us at the 49th pick.

Joshua Perry - Again boards have him top-50 or so. CBS has him 52nd. He slides and entire round as well to 80th?

Sheldon Rankins - Another guy in the top-50 and the Bills will get him with the 114th pick. No way.

Braxton Miller - CBS at 130th, and they pick 144th. Possible.

More plausible scenario:

19 - I do think DE is a priority for them in the first. How about Jonathan Bullard (Florida)?

49 - I'll give you OLB Joshua Perry, but again for the earlier pick.

80 - At this pick, maybe an OLB in Jordan Jenkins out of Florida.

114 - if you want a DE, Charles Tapper (Oklahoma)

144 - I'll concede WR Braxton Miller as a good pick here

I like the positions being picked, but don't think every guy we like is going to fall 30-50 spots in the draft. Honestly, if the Bills got Buckner with the 19th pick, I would already give them an A grade, regardless of what they did with the rest of the picks. That would be a huge win.

Granted the future at QB is brighter with Taylor and he may turn out to be that franchise QB, but very little has been proven yet. Given the importance of the position teams have to keep trying to find that franchise QB. One of the biggest reasons the Bills haven't made the playoffs in 16 years is because they haven't found that QB. In rounds 2 & 3 you're looking for that diamond, but you just have to take that chance year after year until the right QB is found. Mediocre with an excellent defense isn't good enough anymore to win the Super Bowl.

Agreed. But we absolutely need a reliable back-up. EJ far from fits the Bill(s).

While this would pretty much be a dream draft, people need to just look at what some of the draft boards look like right now. Let's take CBS as an example. Walter's, ESPN, and others are very similar +/- a few spots.

Deforest Buckner - Would love the pick at 19th. However, most boards have him as a consensus top-10 prospect. CBS has him 10th. Likely gone unless we trade up.

Darron Lee - Most boards have him top-25. CBS has him 17th. So he's going to basically slide an entire round to us at the 49th pick.

Joshua Perry - Again boards have him top-50 or so. CBS has him 52nd. He slides and entire round as well to 80th?

Sheldon Rankins - Another guy in the top-50 and the Bills will get him with the 114th pick. No way.

Braxton Miller - CBS at 130th, and they pick 144th. Possible.

More plausible scenario:

19 - I do think DE is a priority for them in the first. How about Jonathan Bullard (Florida)?

49 - I'll give you OLB Joshua Perry, but again for the earlier pick.

80 - At this pick, maybe an OLB in Jordan Jenkins out of Florida.

114 - if you want a DE, Charles Tapper (Oklahoma)

144 - I'll concede WR Braxton Miller as a good pick here

I like the positions being picked, but don't think every guy we like is going to fall 30-50 spots in the draft. Honestly, if the Bills got Buckner with the 19th pick, I would already give them an A grade, regardless of what they did with the rest of the picks. That would be a huge win.

I used the drafttek board http://www.drafttek.com/2016-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1.asp and there are bargains the whole draft- Billings 52, Jarran Reed 66, Josh Perry 83, Su'a 90, Noah Spence 113. Drafttek projects Jenkins to the Bills in the 2nd. I like Bullard at 19 and it is quite plausible he is our pick. Bullard can play DE in a 3-4. Perry would be a great pick in the second. And Braxton Miller is going to be drafted much higher then projected IMO.

There has to be someone in the first 100 picks and who falls after #18 who is a better option than Manuel. I refuse to believe that this isn't the case. I expect Manuel to be gone anyway, and for the Bills to eat the contract.

I'm not sure the Bills are sold on Taylor, btw. I think he's very good, but this is a big year for him.

The Pack didn't need to spend a 4th on a QB last year but they did. They didn't need to spend a first on Rodgers either but they did (Favre had 5 good years left in him).

I don't disagree but with his fully guaranteed contract he probably isn't going anywhere. The Bills have some holes that are more pressing than a #2 QB. With limited FA dollars they are going to have to draft well.

In terms of the Rodgers pick, he was thought by some to be the best player in that draft. if he was still on the board in the early 20's the value was there. That isn't going to be the case this year. Everyone loves QB prospects until they are on their roster. Remember just a couple of years ago all of the debates on here of which QB should be our QB of the future: Geno, EJ, Nassib, Landry Jones, Glennon, Barkley, Bray, Dysert, Tyler Wilson and McGloin?!? Every single one of those guys was at least somewhat appealing to a large group around here. The same thing is going to happen this year but the reality is that these guys are more likely to be bad than good.

Granted the future at QB is brighter with Taylor and he may turn out to be that franchise QB, but very little has been proven yet. Given the importance of the position teams have to keep trying to find that franchise QB. One of the biggest reasons the Bills haven't made the playoffs in 16 years is because they haven't found that QB. In rounds 2 & 3 you're looking for that diamond, but you just have to take that chance year after year until the right QB is found. Mediocre with an excellent defense isn't good enough anymore to win the Super Bowl.

I guess this is what I am not agreeing with. You need to find the right guy but throwing numbers at it doesn't work. You cannot get the reps and QBs are always overdrafted. You need to find value in the draft and it is hard to do that at QB. You need to find the right guy to fit what you want to do. The Bills MAY have done that for the 1st time in forever. If not, they will be bad and drafting early with a chance to land an actual franchise QB not some flawed guy that you hope becomes one. The problem is that they have kept taking flawed guys and trying to turn them into franchise QBS (EJ, Edwards, Fitz, Losman). You need the right guy not more guys.

I used the drafttek board http://www.drafttek.com/2016-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1.asp and there are bargains the whole draft- Billings 52, Jarran Reed 66, Josh Perry 83, Su'a 90, Noah Spence 113. Drafttek projects Jenkins to the Bills in the 2nd. I like Bullard at 19 and it is quite plausible he is our pick. Bullard can play DE in a 3-4. Perry would be a great pick in the second. And Braxton Miller is going to be drafted much higher then projected IMO.

Good to know. I'll have to run it a few times and see what comes up for me. Thanks for heads up!

i have a sick feeling that belichik is going to take Miller (because he's tight with Urban and urban is probably talking him up to him all the time because he loves him) and he will become the next Edelman there, only bigger and faster. Belichik drafted many of Urban's players in the past from when he was Florida. I want him to go anywhere but the afc east unless it is with us.

My latest iteration:

19: R1P19
OLB JAYLON SMITH
NOTRE DAME
49: R2P18
WR JOSH DOCTSON
TCU
80: R3P17
DE ANTHONY ZETTEL
PENN STATE
DT VERNON BUTLER
LOUISIANA TECH
QB BRANDON DOUGHTY
WESTERN KENTUCKY
174: R6P17
S TYVIS POWELL
OHIO STATE
Edited by BuffaloHokie13

Rd 1) Shaq Lawson / Jaylon Smith / Jayron Kearse

These guys were all open to be picked in my draft - I choose Jaylon Smith because of the high praise he is constantly recieving - Both of the other players are good and are from clemson, soooooo Rex Ryan connection.

Rd 2) Josh Doctson / Andrew Billings / Landon Turner

I'm not 100% sold on Doctson but he is the BPA here - I like Billings but probably doesn't fit Ryans Scheme. Turner is my alternative at this pick from the board I had to choose from.

Rd 3) Jalen Mills / Hunter Henry / Yannick Ngakoue

Taking Jalen Mills who I can't see lasting 3 rounds - I've read a lot of mixed reviews on Hunter and Yannick on both sides of the sleeper/bust spectrum - Going with safer pick and more pressing need.

Rd 4) Sheldon Rankins / Noah Spence / Avery Young / Braxton Miller

Torn between De and OT - This would really come down to FA - I simply can't pass up on Sheldon and take him here.

Rd 5) Spencer Drango

Kicking this load of a man inside - Compared to Zach Martin

Rd 6) Tyler Higbee

UDFA's - I would love to have these guys in camp to at least compete Tarae Sharpe / Cole Toner / Joe Schmidt / Justin Simmons

Why wouldn't Manuel be a good option as a backup qb when this team has so many needs? I understand your position on the importance of drafting qbs. It makes a lot of sense. But it is safe to assume that Goff will be gone early in the draft (Cleveland) and the other qbs, some good prospects, won't be able to offer much immediate help.

I'm confident that Whaley and Rex are not in the rebuild mode. There is ownership pressure (rightly so) to get things done sooner rather than later. And considering that our cap situation is tight there is some expectation that our top three draft selections will be getting playing time right away.

On a couple of occasions last year I listened to Whaley on WGR. He made it abundantly clear that his first immediate goal is to make it into the playoffs. He stated that he needed to break the barrier of not being playoff participants. Not making the playoffs this past season when he expected to certainly will motivate him to do what he has to to get over the non-playoff hump. That is why I believe that in this draft he will be using his early picks to select players who can fill immediate needs.

@NFL_CFB

.@LanceZierlein's mock draft 1.0 New home, new QB for @RamsNFL --> http://bit.ly/20jwS54

CZWTGgVWQAE94Dw.jpg

Pick No. 19

BUF.png

Robert Nkemdiche DT, Mississippi http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=0ap3000000557180

I can see him next to Dareus!! I know I might sound crazy, but after watching him at Eastern Washington, Oregon and now the East/West game Vernon Adams Jr. may be the next Russell Wilson. This kid is accurate on the run, in the pocket and is a straight baller. Draft this kid and let him battle it out with Tyrod and EJ. He can spin the ball as well.