Ed Reed to join Bills coaching staff

YoloinOhio

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This also helps support the fact that Rex wants to be all in on his scheme next year

I think it supports that Rex believed there were communications issues so he has Reed come in to translate (What do you call a bruinette between two blonds - a translator) and that is same reason why the DC will be concentrating on DBs too with Rex's brother concentrating on down and distance, etc.

Great players often don't make great coaches, no matter the sport. I really, really hope this case is an exception.

This is true. But I think it all depends on how they will use him on staff. He's technically an assistant DB coach with Tim McDonald, but then we heard Dennis Thurman will be working with DBs as well. I think it may play out that Thurman heads up that group and McDonald and Reed split duties. With that in mind I can see Reed having a certain role that would fit things like film study, game prep, practice demo, etc. I mean he could literally get out there and run plays with them to show technique. I see it kind of like Vrabel in Houston. He was not as a great a player as Reed but he's close to a player-coach in terms of mentality.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I'm getting the following out of the off-season so far: the defence is being overhauled and the offence is status quo from a coaching standpoint, but a vocal majority of posters here are not happy despite seeing and stating throught the season that the defence was the issue. Ed Reed and Rob Ryan are both very familiar with Rex and his schemes. They, assuming Reed is hired, will have been brought in to communicate these effectively to a group of players that largely did not understand or did not buy into the schemes that were put in place. I love to prognosticate as much as the next guy, but I'm going to hold off on slamming these hires until the product on the field. I'm not sold on Rex in the least, but the fact remains that he has fielded overwhelmingly very strong defences and I expect that to be the case with the Bills. At the least, I do not blame him for bringing in those close to him with a high familiarity with his methods. Now, losing Donnie Henderson? That's an issue I do have with Rex.

Agree with you 100%--have to give the FO credit--they're limited with what they can do in regard to player moves this offseason so they're doing the next best thing, brining in coaches who can support the scheme and who I believe the players will respect and will want to play for. Personnel moves in "lesser" coaching spots aren't sexy moves but they're part of building a winning foundation. I thought the offseason would be dull--looks like we might have a little fun (and at least some fodder for debate).

I really think the hiring of Ed Reed is pretty cool. Instant credibility with players, and as I'm sure has been stated all across this thread, has intimate knowledge of Rex's D and what he wants DBs to do in the system.

This lessens the blow of losing Donnie Henderson considerably.

It was official well before then when the Bills announced it via their app, twitter, and website.

thanks for that clarification - way to put me in my place...))

I had read it as though it was not a fait accompli via the Bills "app, twitter, & website". My mistake.

I feel better knowing it was formally official before the NFL.com announcement. The minutiae on this Board can be astounding.

"Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach."

Certainly doesn't hurt to have his scheme knowledge and football IQ on staff but I don't know the guy well enough to know if he has the articulate nature to get his knowledge across as a coach. Certainly don't see how this could be a bad thing.

You win this round, Rex.

Edited by Blokestradamus

Now let's have Duke Williams exit the organization.

hear hear. I think Duke failed the Wonderlic. There is something to be said for smart players.

He may have hit the nail on the head.

then why has Crossman not been axed yet?

"Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach."

Certainly doesn't hurt to have his scheme knowledge and football IQ on staff but I don't know the guy well enough to know if he has the articulate nature to get his knowledge across as a coach. Certainly don't see how this could be a bad thing.

You win this round, Rex.

Umm, you've seen football coaches before, right?

At least you didn't question whether or not he'd be "well spoken."

:doh:

I would like to see Ed Reed coach McKelvin.

It would be like me teaching my 4-year old how to write.

The first time I seen McKelvin interviewed, I was shocked that the Bills interviewed him and took him in the first round. I believe McKelvin will be a cap casualty.

Someone remind me. A former player of Rex's from his Baltiless days was quoted this year saying something like "The thing about Rex's D is everyone has to have buy-in or it doesn't work."

I don't think it was Ray Lewis... Was it Ed Reed? Whatever the quote was, it stuck out to me in retrospect as maybe being a dig against Mario.

Edited by jimmy10