Rob Ryan joining Bills staff

FluffHead

This is just what the Bills needed. The Rex Ryan debacle just got worse. He hires his idiot brother as assistant head coach. He hires the defensive coordinator who oversaw the worst defense in the history of the NFL!

WTF!!!!

I was hoping the Pegulas were smarter people. Apparently, I was wrong.

write Kim a letter....I am sure she will care

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You seem to be a glutton for punishment. Let's hear it.

I eagerly await to contrast your opinion on what can do Robbie to help this defense with your long-documented opinion that any failures on the field fall mostly on the players. And I do mean eagerly.

I don't pull the covers over my eyes.

I'm not pulling anything over my eyes..but geesh man. It's January 11, 2016 and the 2016 season is over for you.

What problem were the Bills having that hiring Rob Ryan solves? How, exactly, does this make the team any better?

Well, he sure as hell isn't going to be a "yes" man. Maybe that's important, maybe not. Rob certainly won't hesitate to express an opinion, even if it differs from Rex's.

George Edwards was an abomination as a DC for the Bills. Looked totally inept. He's the DC for the Vikings now but in Chuck Modkins name only as Mike Zimmer runs that defense. But Edwards has been given high marks for being an assistant, and was one of six candidates to be on the "please interview me, I'm a minority list" that the NFL uses for the Rooney rule, along with Anthony Lynn. There are endless examples of guys that are terrible coordinators who are not terrible coaches.

I didnt realize there was a rule....is that published somewhere?

Okay John. I see you're going the childish route. I won't both discussing this with you any more. Rob Ryan objectively has been a worse DC than Jim Schwartz. The evidence speaks for itself.

I'm not pulling anything over my eyes..but geesh man. It's January 11, 2016 and the 2016 season is over for you.

It's not over. Still plenty of time for the Bills to make a positive move or two.

George Edwards was an abomination as a DC for the Bills. Looked totally inept. He's the DC for the Vikings now but in Chuck Modkins name only as Mike Zimmer runs that defense. But Edwards has been given high marks for being an assistant, and was one of six candidates to be on the "please interview me, I'm a minority list" that the NFL uses for the Rooney rule, along with Anthony Lynn. There are endless examples of guys that are terrible coordinators who are not terrible coaches.

Yup.

But on the flip side, how does his qualification of having being a good LB coach in the distant past makes him the ideal candidate for Asst HC/Defense ? In general, organizations create new positions when a great candidate becomes available but they don't have an existing spot for that person. Is this action implying he was that 'dying let him get away' candidate?

Fan....I think this needs to be said

Just because "a great candidate comes available" does not mean they would even be hired. THIS IS REX RYANS defense.....and it does not matter if THurman is retained or if his brother was hired....THIS WILL BE REX RYANS defense

You can like it or you cant hate it but it is what it is.....that is why I was hoping for Pettine's return because they had worked together in the past.

Okay John. I see you're going the childish route. I won't both discussing this with you any more. Rob Ryan objectively has been a worse DC than Jim Schwartz. The evidence speaks for itself.

It's not over. Still plenty of time for the Bills to make a positive move or two.

Im sorry...you said rule.

I am not even saying your wrong because you might be right.

I am not even saying your wrong because you might be right.

I think that has the makings of a catchy song...you may be wrong but you may be right...just need someone with some musical talent to flesh it out a bit. I think we've got a hit on our hands. Course I may be wrong...

Two Asshats instead of one. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Another point, however, is that whatever his title and whatever his role, Rob's presence will be looming over Thurman and the rest of the defensive coaches and can very easily create a lack of trust between Rex and the other coaches (e.g., the other coaches constantly worrying about Rob encroaching on their responsibilities or talking behind their backs to Rex). This is just another appalling move by Rex, and one that should have been nipped in the bud by the Pegulas. Unfortunately I do think they are over their heads in terms of running a football business.

That's why we all want to understand Rob's role. His track record as a DC isn't good. But will he simply be an adviser or role-player with the Bills? Will he have the job, for example, of breaking down opponents' offenses? Will he just be an extra pair of eyes - and extra voice - on the practice field? Will he work mostly the LBs (his job before becoming a DC)?

Or - as the "Assistant Head Coach" - will he have real authority to make significant decisions and/or run the D?

He's got enough NFL experience, he could probably be an asset in the right role. But his record says de facto DC is probably not the right role for him.

That's why we all want to understand Rob's role. His track record as a DC isn't good. But will he simply be an adviser or role-player with the Bills? Will he have the job, for example, of breaking down opponents' offenses? Will he just be an extra pair of eyes - and extra voice - on the practice field? Will he work mostly the LBs (his job before becoming a DC)?

Or - as the "Assistant Head Coach" - will he have real authority to make significant decisions and/or run the D?

He's got enough NFL experience, he could probably be an asset in the right role. But his record says de facto DC is probably not the right role for him.

As stated by many, Assistant HC means zero. Anthony Lynn also has that title. Seven different NFL teams have hired this guy. Many of them have won multiple Super Bowls. Belichick, probably the smartest coach ever, had him for three years and they won two super bowls with him coaching linebackers that played at a high level. The guy knows some football, you just don't want him running your defense. Rex is NOT going to let his brother, knowing it's a make or break season, talk him into doing something stupid. I just don't see how this is going to hurt the team. I don't think it helps much either but who know what will happen. Maybe he is a guy that can do stuff that allows Rex to concentrate on teaching his defense and game planning more.

I'm mostly against this because I now have to endure threads like this. ;)

I wonder if he might have been brought in because he is a good communicator to defensive players