Rob Ryan joining Bills staff

FluffHead

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone Rex trusts to help him with scouting opponents and implementing his schemes. No real reason to get upset about this.

I don't like Rex. But, since he is staying I agree and think this may help him be more of a HC. So, he can focus on everything and not just his defense. He needs to focus on everything better.

Yeah I def cannot get in the "support Rob Ryan" mode just yet....

I am more trying to understand WHY......I mean.....it has happened. You can either try to understand the decision or B word about it all offseason.

Some will choose to B word

It happened cause he was unemployed and his brother was in a position to get him working. It is that simple.

I personally cant wait to see Rob in action. This teams needs more bravado and machismo and I feel like Rex toned it down a bit once the weight of the season hit him. He needs an assistant to help light a fire under our fans, not sit back in the shadows, like Thurman does.

Rob should be the kind of guy to be able to juggle the Tim Grahams & Sullys, and at the same time, provide TBD with plenty of pitchfork material.

Yes all of this.

I find it funny so many in this thread call the Ryan brothers buffoons or idiots. Rex is a buffoon w a 27 mil contract. What an idiot !

These are the same guys that will kiss his shoes and beg him to take a picture if they see him walking out of the grocery store.

Rex has been deep in the playoffs when his roster wasn't crap.

Guess ill join the tearful masses in a few years.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Yes all of this.

I find it funny so many in this thread call the Ryan brothers buffoons or idiots. Rex is a buffoon w a 27 mil contract. What an idiot !

These are the same guys that will kiss his shoes and beg him to take a picture if they see him walking out of the grocery store.

Rex has been deep in the playoffs when his roster wasn't crap. 2 more years baby then I join the tearful masses.

yeah then go home and throw darts at a dart board with their picture on it while swilling beer.....:)

but to each his own!

I am sure Ryan looked under every rock to find the best coaching addition. Its just a coincidence that he is his brother. It reminds of the time that Russ Brandon looked under every rock, and in a matter of days found that the best NFL coaching option was right down the highway in Syracuse.

You dont know that....you have absolutely no proof of that....and you need to state this as your opinion.

"Proof"? Give it a break John. None us have any proof of anything we state on here? It is absurd that you go to that area. I don't recall anyone asking you for "Proof" of anything you post ever.

Not only did he talk his way into a 27 mil contract, but a guaranteed 27 mil contract! He certainly got the best of who is supposed to be a good businessman on that one.

But just because a person is rich, doesn't mean they are not a buffoon. Just look at Donald Trump.

Rob Ryan has been a DC for 12 years in the NFL. On average, his defenses have ranked 22nd in yards allowed. He finished in the bottom half of the NFL 9 of 12 seasons.

Oakland

2004 #30

2005 #27

2006 #3

2007 #22

2008 #27

Cleveland

2009 #31

2010 #22

Dallas

2011 #14

2012 #19

New Orleans

2012 #32

2013 #4

2014 #31

2015 #32 (when fired)

The defenses he inherited weren't good either. The Raiders were ranked #30 the year before Rob arrived. The Browns #26. The Cowboys #23. The Saints #32. This might suggest he didn't have much talent to work with.

But - with the exceptions of 2006 and 2013 - he never did much with the hand he was dealt either.

Like most coaches, Rob has strengths and weaknesses. On balance, he made a poor DC. But if Rex finds a way to leverage Rob's strengths and avoid his weaknesses, maybe this can work. Just maybe.

Edited by hondo in seattle

As stated by many, Assistant HC means zero. Anthony Lynn also has that title. Seven different NFL teams have hired this guy. Many of them have won multiple Super Bowls. Belichick, probably the smartest coach ever, had him for three years and they won two super bowls with him coaching linebackers that played at a high level. The guy knows some football, you just don't want him running your defense. Rex is NOT going to let his brother, knowing it's a make or break season, talk him into doing something stupid. I just don't see how this is going to hurt the team. I don't think it helps much either but who know what will happen. Maybe he is a guy that can do stuff that allows Rex to concentrate on teaching his defense and game planning more.

I'm mostly against this because I now have to endure threads like this. ;)

Kelly, I usually agree with you but I'm not certain that - in this case - Assistant Coach means zero.

It may be that Rex wants Rob to have authority over Thurman. In other words, maybe Rex wants Rob to run the D. Rather than demoting Thurman, maybe Rex purposefully gave Rob a more exalted title. Let's remember that Rex did not give Thurman a ringing endorsement at the end of the season.

Even if it's not Rex's intent to place Rob over Thurman, it may become the reality. Rob has better access to Rex and a longer, closer relationship.

This could become a power struggle. And while Thurman was not impressive in his first year as the Bills DC, I trust Rob to run a good defense even less.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Rex Ryan has been a DC for 12 years in the NFL. On average, his defenses have ranked 22nd in yards allowed. He finished in the bottom half of the NFL 9 of 12 seasons.

Oakland

2004 #30

2005 #27

2006 #3

2007 #22

2008 #27

Cleveland

2009 #31

2010 #22

Dallas

2011 #14

2012 #19

New Orleans

2012 #32

2013 #4

2014 #31

2015 #32 (when fired)

The defenses he inherited weren't good either. The Raiders were ranked #30 the year before Rob arrived. The Browns #26. The Cowboys #23. The Saints #32. This might suggest he didn't have much talent to work with.

But - with the exceptions of 2006 and 2013 - he never did much with the hand he was dealt either.

Like most coaches, Rob has strengths and weaknesses. On balance, he made a poor DC. But if Rex finds a way to leverage Rob's strengths and avoid his weaknesses, maybe this can work. Just maybe.

The twins are already screwing you up! That looks like Rob's resume :lol:

Maybe this is going to be a good cop bad cop routine. Wrecks seems unable or unwilling to crack the whip, and none of the lower-ranking coaches would do it if Wrecks didn't, so maybe he hired his brother to instill some discipline.

I think that has the makings of a catchy song...you may be wrong but you may be right...just need someone with some musical talent to flesh it out a bit. I think we've got a hit on our hands. Course I may be wrong...

Is this the song you are referring to? You may be a hard arse sheriff but I'm sure you have soul.

The Buffoon Bills. Lawd almighty. P. T. Ryan's womb mate Bobby, 12 years a DC, 10 of them with his Ds ranked mostly in the lowest levels, fired from every job, never offered a HC position,and topping it off with the extremely rare mid-season firing this past season, partly because of ongoing defensive confusion and failure to get the D calls to the players in a timely manner.

As infuriating as the 2015 season was, 2016 already shows signs of being worse, much worse.

"Proof"? Give it a break John. None us have any proof of anything we state on here? It is absurd that you go to that area. I don't recall anyone asking you for "Proof" of anything you post ever.

To say this is really really stupid.

How long has it been since the brothers have worked together? How long has Rex Ryan been a head coach?

At any time he could have brought his brother in to work on his teams......yet it hasnt happened since they were much much younger......

Stop throwing **** at the wall and hope it sticks

The twins are already screwing you up! That looks like Rob's resume :lol:

Well....they are TWINS....:)

To say this is really really stupid.

How long has it been since the brothers have worked together? How long has Rex Ryan been a head coach?

At any time he could have brought his brother in to work on his teams......yet it hasnt happened since they were much much younger......

Stop throwing **** at the wall and hope it sticks

Well....they are TWINS.... :)

It hasn't happened because Rob Ryan was too busy being terrible around the rest of the NFL, using his last name and brother's reputation to continue to get jobs.

It hasn't happened because Rob Ryan was too busy being terrible around the rest of the NFL, using his last name and brother's reputation to continue to get jobs.

That's almost complimentary of Rex.