Pegula gives Whaley,Ryan 1 year to fix Bills? (BN retracts!)

YoloinOhio

I hate this.

Either he thinks Whaley and Rex are the right guys for the job and he should give them a couple of years to work things out, or he doesn't think they are the guys and he shouldn't waste any more time in replacing them. I'm sure Whaley and Rex already know the ice is thin, giving them a playoffs or bust ultimatum will only lead to short sited decision making.

We were a .500 team the last two years, other than Mario / Kyle most of the roster is trending up, if they go 10-6 next year and miss out due to tiebreakers, should everyone be canned? Besides, the goal of the franchise shouldn't be "make the playoffs" it should be "build a championship caliber team". I understand at this point the baby step of making the playoffs would be nice, but just showing up to the dance and getting our butts kicked because we "accomplished the goal" is pretty hollow.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

someone at OBD loves to feed this crap. I highly doubt Vic makes stuff up

wgr guys this morning said they heard Whaley was likely getting an extension soon. who knows.

Vic definitely has a source who feeds him info they want out there for whatever reason

I hate this.

Either he thinks Whaley and Rex are the right guys for the job and he should give them a couple of years to work things out, or he doesn't think they are the guys and he shouldn't waste any more time in replacing them. I'm sure Whaley and Rex already know the ice is thin, giving them a playoffs or bust ultimatum will only lead to short sited decision making.

We were a .500 team the last two years, other than Mario / Kyle most of the roster is trending up, if they go 10-6 next year and miss out due to tiebreakers, should everyone be canned? Besides, the goal of the franchise shouldn't be "make the playoffs" it should be "build a championship caliber team". I understand at this point the baby step of making the playoffs would be nice, but just showing up to the dance and getting our butts kicked because we "accomplished the goal" is pretty hollow.

I agree with this as well. The goal shouldn't just be to make the playoffs. It should be, as you say, to build a championship caliber team.

On the other hand, the talent was there this year to make the playoffs and Rex totally screwed that one up. Pegula is almost saying to them, if you can't make the playoffs with the talent that's on this team now, why should I trust that you can build a team any better?

This if from Vic Carucci?

Hmm.

Okay.

LOL, same reaction here. I don't doubt something like this was said, but I take anything from the BN with a grain of salt these days. Remember these guys said Whaley was a goner just two weeks ago.

That said, who is the source of these leaks? My money is on Russ Brandon.

No pressure, right? But, it wasn't a rebuild. It makes sense. They are close. Gotta get it done.

Well, first of all, the Bills have tolerated mediocrity and given it 3 years for too long. "Consistency - it's only a virtue if you're not a screwup". The Bills FO *should* feel as though they're playing for their jobs.

That said, it's just stupid for an organization to back itself into a corner like this. What if Doug hits on a great draft, brings in just what Rex needs on D, Rex turns around the team discipline and fight and the Bills look to be prepared in a superior way and making in-game adjustments, are in every game scrapping to the end, but they just don't get it done in the final game because two teams from other divisions have super records as the #2? Would it really serve the Bills interest to axe Whaley and Rex in that case?

How many "leaks" has Carruci broken and how often has he been right or wrong this year?

The only problem I have with a statement like that is, in my mind, if I'm a GM and I need to get it right I'm not looking towards the future and building. So, that means not drafting a QB to groom because I may not be here. I would role with Taylor and if next year goes well and I get an extension, then I select a QB. I would probably draft less high risk players. I'm looking for guys who can start right away.

Completely agree, if this is true then it already creates a disconnect between the best interests of the GM and the best interests of the franchise. Decreased likelihood of picking developmental prospects, increased likelihood of mortgaging the future in trades, etc.

That said, it's just stupid for an organization to back itself into a corner like this. What if Doug hits on a great draft, brings in just what Rex needs on D, Rex turns around the team discipline and fight and the Bills look to be prepared in a superior way and making in-game adjustments, are in every game scrapping to the end, but they just don't get it done in the final game because two teams from other divisions have super records as the #2? Would it really serve the Bills interest to axe Whaley and Rex in that case?

Completely agree.

Edited by SoFFacet

Agreed on that.

Unlikely IMO

Russ covets his relationship with the Pegulas

Most leaks come from agents. Rex's perhaps in this case?

It used to be that Vic and Russ weren't the tightest of friends (not acrimonious as it were, just not chummy)...unless that's changed, I doubt Russ is feeding info to Vic

2 words - Russ Brandon.

I'm starting to think this guy has more power than we think. Yes, he signed TO while he was the defacto GM, but bringing in Rex was a classic "let's sell tickets" move. That part worked, but it didn't get the team any closer to the playoffs.

I really hope the Pegulas have Russ on the hot seat, too.

I agree with this as well. The goal shouldn't just be to make the playoffs. It should be, as you say, to build a championship caliber team.

On the other hand, the talent was there this year to make the playoffs and Rex totally screwed that one up. Pegula is almost saying to them, if you can't make the playoffs with the talent that's on this team now, why should I trust that you can build a team any better?

it wasn't specific as to what "fixing" them means. We assume it means making the playoffs. It could mean 10-6 and developing a franchise QB. Just saying.

Well, first of all, the Bills have tolerated mediocrity and given it 3 years for too long. "Consistency - it's only a virtue if you're not a screwup". The Bills FO *should* feel as though they're playing for their jobs.

How many "leaks" has Carruci broken and how often has he been right or wrong this year?

His track record this year is frankly pretty bad.

I don't believe the conversation happened as portrayed.

I know a lot of wealthy business leaders/owners and they rarely talk to their employees like this. It's just not healthy and it's completely unnecessary.

If the key people in your company aren't already committed/motivated, why would you employ them in the first place?

If people don't perform, you fire them. There's just no need to threaten them ahead of time.

I'm starting to think this guy has more power than we think. Yes, he signed TO while he was the defacto GM, but bringing in Rex was a classic "let's sell tickets" move. That part worked, but it didn't get the team any closer to the playoffs.

I really hope the Pegulas have Russ on the hot seat, too.

As the managing partner, Russ gets asked his opinion. He's not, in any way, the deciding voice in football decisions--that's Whaley all the way

let me break it down..

what was the obvious failure of the team this season? the defense

what was the chief complaint about the defense? players were confused, and their confusion made them ineffective

what does the defense need? players who can execute the system

it ain't that hard to figure out.. for cryin' out loud, you got Pegula's kid making snarky remarks about the D on social media.. it's all about the D, and how it has to be fixed.

this year's O - as is - would have been one of the highest scoring Os in the league if the D could turn the ball over occasionally, and get us shorter fields. just get our left side signed, and take a look at some RT probables. adding another WR takes a backseat to getting the right D people in place for Rex.

Unlikely IMO

Russ covets his relationship with the Pegulas

Most leaks come from agents. Rex's perhaps in this case?

It used to be that Vic and Russ weren't the tightest of friends (not acrimonious as it were, just not chummy)...unless that's changed, I doubt Russ is feeding info to Vic

I felt he was the leak for #RogueWhaley just because the main cause of outrage beyond sentiment was a marketing deal involving Freddy.