Jerry Sullivan

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lol....i especially love the threads simply titled "Jerry Sullivan."

at least once a month a jerry bitchfest pops up with that same title and same-sounding complaint.

"OOOOOHHHHH he's so MEAN!"

i don't happen to agree with him, but we'll see. surely predicting doom and trouble for the bills has been a winning hand for a long time.

For 16 years!

Wow, you managed to gloss over all facts to make a non-factual point. That's really something.

No I didn't. You didn't present any facts to support your argument. You said "all these things have happened and I think that means a team on the rise and if it doesn't what does?" I suggested that a team who has improved their record might.

You are bad at recognising facts.

the last words from his article today. the two changes are we cut Mario and have perhaps a tougher schedule next year. and he says things could get worse next year. I know this negativity thing is his tagline and his everlasting M.O. sure, the world could end next year too. but we found an effective QB, and owner spending on offensive talent across the board, a front office who can source talent and an offensive scheme that works, and this guy has to throw cold water on everything. glad I live in DC and don't have to read this stuff all year....

Have you made a decision on your screen name yet?

Anyone else think it is funny that the OP's screen name is "8-8-- no more"?

Ouch! :D

Great minds think alike. :)

This board has amazingly funny screen names.

He makes his living on being negative and is thriving here. I can't wait til we are good, just to rid ourselves of Sully.

Given what the Bills have done these last 16 years you think he should have been writing positive articles full upbeat projections? I think he has been very fair and realistic and the results certainly have shown him to be pretty accurate,

No I didn't. You didn't present any facts to support your argument. You said "all these things have happened and I think that means a team on the rise and if it doesn't what does?" I suggested that a team who has improved their record might.

You are bad at recognising facts.

Haha, I am? Okay let me break this down for you:

One that won more games this year than last?

FACT: The Bills won 9 games in 2014 and 8 and 2015.

So, no. You were factually wrong. You had one shot and you whiffed.

Today, for the first time in the 21st Century we're coming off two consecutive non-losing seasons1, headed into the offseason with no plans to change the HC and QB2, only the second time that's happened since 20043.

And yesterday, with an injury depleted roster4, with multiple starters on both sides of the ball that weren't on the roster in November5, they beat a surging6, playoff bound7 division rival8 that set numerous franchise records this season9 and needed a victory for their first playoff berth10 since 201011. We beat them by showcasing12 a 22 year old receiver13, through whom the offense ran14 in spite of his matchup across from a first-ballot HOF CB15 who was so embarrassed he refused to address the media after16.

If this isn't a team on the rise, exactly what is it?

Now let's walk through the 14 facts I presented you which you are refuting as 'factual.'

1. The Bills haven't had consecutive non-losing seasons since 1998-99: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/
  2. The Pegulas confirmed last week that Rex will be back. As for Tyrod, I'll concede a half-fact there, since it hasn't been announced that he enters the 2016 offseason the starter. I expect this will change in 90 minutes. But I'll concede the speculation for now: http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Pegulas-back-Bills-front-office-and-coaching-staff/fdc9e76f-f5bd-46f2-97c0-642780f3bb30 EDIT: CONFIRMED
  3. Since 2004, only Fitz/Chan have reprised from week 17 to week 1. Again. We'll have to wait for confirmation on that, too. But I'm pretty confident in it for now [citation ibid, see: 1]
  4. The Bills entered the game yesterday without the following week 1 starters: RB1, WR2, WR3, TE1, WR4, WR5/ST, DT1, SS1, CB1, LB2, RT1. Over the course of the game they also lost: CB2, DE3 and RB 1.5. You can argue the semantics of the word 'depleted' but it's quite apparent that yesterday's Bills were significantly impacted by injuries.
  5. I'll concede this one too, since all the 'starters' were very much on the roster in November: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201601030buf.htm. I was referring to the snaps attributed to Salas, Hankerson, OLeary, Powell, Groy, Seamster and Reddick.
  6. The Jets were on a five game win streak. Again, you're welcome to argue semantics, but they were definitely on the move.
  7. All they needed was a win and they were in.
  8. Do I really have to cite this one?
  9. Franchise records set this year by the New York Jets: Most total yards, most TD passes by a QB, most yards by a WR and most TD's by a WR (tied). There may be more: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/
  10. IBID
  11. Citation IBID, see: 9
  12. Again, semantics, but targets to Sammy comprised 57% of yesterday's passing attempts and he was used in a variety of different routes of varying depths.
  13. He'll be 23 in June: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WatkSa00.htm
  14. IBID, see 12
  15. I'll give you another half-fact here for speculation.
  16. http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/57734/jets-star-darrelle-revis-plays-softly-and-doesnt-speak-at-all
Edited by The Big Cat

It's a shame that Sullivan is so negative given the amount of sustained success the Bills have achieved in the last 16 years. Maybe you're confusing negative with accurate.

yeah so true,,, imagine being a sports beat reporter in WNY for the past 10+years... how could you not go completely to the dark side... Darth Sully; it'll take episodes 8 thru 12 to bring him back to the light

Given what the Bills have done these last 16 years you think he should have been writing positive articles full upbeat projections? I think he has been very fair and realistic and the results certainly have shown him to be pretty accurate,

Jeez, everyone. I'm as positive as the next guy, but SIXTEEN seasons of mediocre to downright pitiful results and there are still people who think Sullivan is too negative?? Wow, how our standards have plummeted. At what point would it have been okay (or even understandable) for Sullivan to turn sour on the Bills? After the 10th consecutive year of not making the playoffs? The 14th year?

It's very easy to take shots at him for being "negative." That doesn't mean he's wrong. On the contrary, after having watched "The Four Falls of Buffalo" several times, providing historical perspective on really, really good Buffalo teams, the Russ Brandon PR machine has run dry. Want Sully to be positive? How about making the playoffs before we hit two decades of futility.

Jeez, everyone. I'm as positive as the next guy, but SIXTEEN seasons of mediocre to downright pitiful results and there are still people who think Sullivan is too negative?? Wow, how our standards have plummeted. At what point would it have been okay (or even understandable) for Sullivan to turn sour on the Bills? After the 10th consecutive year of not making the playoffs? The 14th year?

It's very easy to take shots at him for being "negative." That doesn't mean he's wrong. On the contrary, after having watched "The Four Falls of Buffalo" several times, providing historical perspective on really, really good Buffalo teams, the Russ Brandon PR machine has run dry. Want Sully to be positive? How about making the playoffs before we hit two decades of futility.

Exactly!

Anyone else think it is funny that the OP's screen name is "8-8-- no more"?

Ouch! :D

yeah, went out on a limb this preseason after years of using the "8 -8 Forever" screen name (in recognition of the perpetual mediocrity of the franchise...) ... guess I was a year too early.. almost made it ..

I'm actually super optimistic.. if it wasn't for Roman, Shady, TT, Karlos, Clay, Miller being added to the offense in a single season i would not be, but not sure how defenses will handle this group in 2016 with a full offseason of prep time. Get your popcorn... this is an offense driven league and now we finally have one

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

Have you made a decision on your screen name yet?

Great minds think alike. :)

This board has amazingly funny screen names.

Agreed. I sometimes wonder: "whatever happened to the guy named 'Draft Drew Stanton'" :doh:

yeah, went out on a limb this preseason after years of using the "8 -8 Forever" screen name (in recognition of the perpetual mediocrity of the franchise...) ... guess I was a year too early.. almost made it ..

I'm actually super optimistic.. if it wasn't for Roman, Shady, TT, Karlos, Clay, Miller being added to the offense in a single season i would not be, but not sure how defenses will handle this group in 2016 with a full offseason of prep time.

haha-- totally jinxed us, brother!

Ahhh, the Monday morning Jerry Sullivan thread.

You know, it doesn't matter where you live. You don't have to read that stuff....ever, if you choose not to.

I think everybody should avoid any thoughts or opinions that might not agree with your own opinions. By keeping a closed mind to new thoughts and ideas, life is much simpler and less stressful.

Why would you ever consider reading or listening to a dissenting opinion... EVER!

I can see no point in considering any other opinion than my own. This what makes America great. Form an opinion based on fact or fiction (it doesn't seem to matter) and stick to that opinion regardless of any factual evidence or reason!

Just keep drinking the Kool-Aid and live in blissful ignorance.

So tell me which of the nine games we lose:

Dolphins - L

Dolphins - W

Pats - L

Pats - L

Jets - W

Jets- W

Steelers - L

Ravens - L

Bengals - L

Browns - W

Seahawks - L

Niners - W

Cardinals - L

Rams - W

Raiders - L

Jags - W

I'm also unsure how asking you to defend your position makes me (or others) the defensive one(s).

I figured someone had to take an uniformed guess at these....Don't know the order of the split with the Fin's but figure they'll win one next year. Until we prove we can play with the Cheaters* I still have to figure they beat the Bills twice....The team seems to do well against the Jets for some reason and the Raider's loss is just because the Bills seem to crap the bed at least one game a year against bad teams. This shows 8-8.....not enough confidence to find another loss....Anyway, I hope I'm wrong.

No question that Jerry tends to pile on and is really cynical, but as many have posted in this thread, this pitiful franchise deserves most of what he dishes out. There is typically threads of truth in all of his articles, but it depends on your stance as a Bills fan regarding how to take his articles.

Me, I'm just mad that I'm a fan of such a fantastically inept sports team... and that I can't completely quit them. I'll admit that, after all of these years, I take some sick pleasure in writers going over the top in their bashing of the team.

For me, it's almost as if I want to see if, somehow, they can manage to find another way to do something unprecedentedly bad, stupid, knee-jerk, etc.

It's my coping mechanism.