Jerry Sullivan

At this moment in time - I think it is unlikely we win 4 in the division again next year and I expect some of those teams to be better. People need to stop being so defensive about this. I may well view things differently in August, but I do not think it is all that ridiculous for Jerry to say it might be worse than 8-8 next year because presently I share those concerns.

So tell me which of the nine games we lose:

Dolphins

Dolphins

Pats

Pats

Jets

Jets

Steelers

Ravens

Bengals

Browns

Seahawks

Niners

Cardinals

Rams

Raiders

Jags

I'm also unsure how asking you to defend your position makes me (or others) the defensive one(s).

Edited by The Big Cat

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So you are now asking me in January to go game by game through the schedule for next season? I will say this about that list of teams you think we should definitely beat:-

- the Ravens were ravaged by injuries this year (far worse than the Bills were) and still lost only one game by more than one score. They will win a lot of games next year.

- the Jags are a team on the rise their young offense is going to be explosive

- the Raiders are another young team on the rise with some excellent players

I don't think any of those 3 are sure things and whilst sure looking today I think we definitely should beat the Niners, the Browns and the Rams who knows what happens by September.

I just think that schedule is tough. The AFC North and NFC west have been consistently strong divisions for a few years now and we get them both the same year.

We just went 4-2 in the division. And face the Browns, Jags, Raiders, Ravens, Niners and Rams next year.

You can't count more than seven victories there?

Okay.

How many victories against the NFCE did you count earlier this season?

I am not a perennial pessimist - go back look at my posting history. But I don't have a great deal of faith in the coaching on this team and I think we play two very tough divisions plus in our own division two 10+ win teams based on this season. I will say this - if we match the 4 wins inside the division again next year (which I think it is crazy to take for granted) then I think we would get to 8 or 9 wins again.

So you are now asking me in January to go game by game through the schedule for next season?

Well, you're the one in January making calls about how many games we should expect to win. So...yes.

Ah, a realist at last!

Self-proclaimed "realists" tend to confuse that word with "pessimists." At least that's been my experience.

How many victories against the NFCE did you count earlier this season?

Three.

Well, you're the one in January making calls about how many games we should expect to win. So...yes.

No I'm not. I am the one saying Jerry Sullivan's assertion isn't entirely unreasonable and if someone made me make a choice now on the over or under for 8 wins I'd go under. That is based on a general look at the schedule. You are the one taking umbrage at the very suggestion that the Bills could win less than 8 games next year and then ridiculously asking me to pick each game.

EDIT: Oh and voprma was not proclaiming himself a realist - he was proclaiming me one. I don't consider myself a realist. I consider myself pessimistic about next season at this stage and am quite happy to say that. But that isn't because of some feeling that "we are the Bills we suck and we will always suck" it is because I don't like what I saw this season from coaching and we play two of what recent history tells us are the toughest divisions in the league next year.

Edited by GunnerBill

Whatever the schedule the BIlls will have to beat good teams to make the playoffs. They went 1-5 against teams that are in the playoffs this season. That just isn't good enough.

To me the biggest positive going into next season is that QB is no longer the team's number one need. Sure they could upgrade the spot if the opportunity presents itself but there is no sense of desperation and resources can be focused elsewhere.

the last words from his article today. the two changes are we cut Mario and have perhaps a tougher schedule next year. and he says things could get worse next year. I know this negativity thing is his tagline and his everlasting M.O. sure, the world could end next year too. but we found an effective QB, and owner spending on offensive talent across the board, a front office who can source talent and an offensive scheme that works, and this guy has to throw cold water on everything. glad I live in DC and don't have to read this stuff all year....

It's a shame that Sullivan is so negative given the amount of sustained success the Bills have achieved in the last 16 years. Maybe you're confusing negative with accurate.

No I'm not. I am the one saying Jerry Sullivan's assertion isn't entirely unreasonable and if someone made me make a choice now on the over or under for 8 wins I'd go under. That is based on a general look at the schedule. You are the one taking umbrage at the very suggestion that the Bills could win less than 8 games next year and then ridiculously asking me to pick each game.

Then you'll have to excuse my confusion as to how you can support a prediction for total wins but then be unwilling to go through AAAAAAAAAALL 16 games to substantiate it.

STOP READING SULLIVAN. Trust me, your life will be happier if you stop reading the BN. I'm not saying that flippantly, it's true. Yeah a good human interest story here and there might be worth your time but a game report or editorial/column is just full of annoying snide, curmudgeon-ry, and general crankiness over a game. Seriously, enjoy the games from 1-4:30 and come here occasionally for your fix but for the sake of your happiness, put that garbage down.

Then you'll have to excuse my confusion as to how you can support a prediction for total wins but then be unwilling to go through AAAAAAAAAALL 16 games to substantiate it.

Because the NFL is an any given Sunday league. I've told you the three games I would be willing at this stage to say we should definitely win. I also think it is highly likely we win at least one against the Dolphins given I think we are built to beat them.... that is 4. The rest are all 50/50 or worse games for me.

Because the NFL is an any given Sunday league. I've told you the three games I would be willing at this stage to say we should definitely win. I also think it is highly likely we win at least one against the Dolphins given I think we are built to beat them.... that is 4. The rest are all 50/50 or worse games for me.

Doesn't sound like you're all too certain that Sully's prediction will come true then, which would be a reasonable take for anybody in January.

Doesn't sound like you're all too certain that Sully's prediction will come true then, which would be a reasonable take for anybody in January.

I never said I was certain it would come true. I said it wasn't unreasonable. And as usual certain people were jumping on it and taking huge offence to his prediction.

24 hours into the offseason and we have to pretend that this is a team "on the rise" lol

Don't suggest they could be trending downwards whatever you do..... Big Cat will give you a list of 9 certain wins for 2016.

Today, for the first time in the 21st Century we're coming off two consecutive non-losing seasons, headed into the offseason with no plans to change the HC and QB, only the second time that's happened since 2004.

And yesterday, with an injury depleted roster, with multiple starters on both sides of the ball that weren't on the roster in November, they beat a surging, playoff bound division rival that set numerous franchise records this season and needed a victory for their first playoff berth since 2010. We beat them by showcasing a 22 year old receiver, through whom the offense ran in spite of his matchup across from a first-ballot HOF CB who was so embarrassed he refused to address the media after.

If this isn't a team on the rise, exactly what is it?

Edited by The Big Cat