2016 Draft D-line thread

Beerball

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knemdiche is "most explosive" player in draft according to XM Radio. Spence was rated 3rd.

He's also the biggest boom or bust...

His production is no where near what it should be based on his athletic ability...There's off the field issues...He's a tough call...So is Spence (less for his on-the-field though)...

If either of them slid to #49 then it's a no-brainer...But in this Draft...When you are seemingly going to have multiple options at D-line in the 1st that look like much "safer" picks, I just don't know about those two... B-)

He's also the biggest boom or bust...

His production is no where near what it should be based on his athletic ability...There's off the field issues...He's a tough call...So is Spence (less for his on-the-field though)...

If either of them slid to #49 then it's a no-brainer...But in this Draft...When you are seemingly going to have multiple options at D-line in the 1st that look like much "safer" picks, I just don't know about those two... B-)

I trust the staff, they meet with these guys face to face multiple times..they have a much better idea what's between the ears of the players than we do. If they can convince themselves that either Spence or Nkemdiche are serious about playing football then I'm all about it. Both of them are ultra talented kids and after 16 years of losing I'm not in the mood to play it safe. We are still a country mile behind the Brady Bunch in NE lets hit a few home runs this draft and close the gap.

I trust the staff, they meet with these guys face to face multiple times..they have a much better idea what's between the ears of the players than we do. If they can convince themselves that either Spence or Nkemdiche are serious about playing football then I'm all about it. Both of them are ultra talented kids and after 16 years of losing I'm not in the mood to play it safe. We are still a country mile behind the Brady Bunch in NE lets hit a few home runs this draft and close the gap.

Spence I could get myself comfortable with--he's been a consistent performer and, perhaps most importantly, he owned his behavior when asked about it in interviews. He admitted his mistakes, talked about needing to grow up, and (by all accounts) showed sincere excitement about having the opportunity to prove his character at the next level.

Setting aside Nkemdiche's inconsistency ON the field, his off-field accountability was the exact opposite of Spence. Not only did he deflect blame for his off-field incidents, he went so far as to throw his own teammates under the bus in the process. To me, that reeks of a kid that simply doesn't get it, and I'm not touching him.

JMO, of course.

Spence I could get myself comfortable with--he's been a consistent performer and, perhaps most importantly, he owned his behavior when asked about it in interviews. He admitted his mistakes, talked about needing to grow up, and (by all accounts) showed sincere excitement about having the opportunity to prove his character at the next level.

Setting aside Nkemdiche's inconsistency ON the field, his off-field accountability was the exact opposite of Spence. Not only did he deflect blame for his off-field incidents, he went so far as to throw his own teammates under the bus in the process. To me, that reeks of a kid that simply doesn't get it, and I'm not touching him.

JMO, of course.

I see it the same way. Nkemdiche has TONS of talent, but guys like him get GMs and coaches fired. Spence seems like he gets it now, but his poorer than expected combine may hold him back.

I don't think I'd take Nkemdiche even in round 2.

JMO, of course.

On Nkemdiche, no doubt about it I wouldn't select him either with what I know or have heard. If the Bills do select him I'm not going to freak out though, I'm going to trust that Whaley and company saw or heard something that gave them a further understanding of the young man.

I'm as critical of the front office as anybody but as fans we have to trust them to evaluate these guys mentally. We aren't privy to the Q and A sessions and we also don't get the first hand impressions of the individual.

Personally I think Rex's biggest strength is character assessment and appeasement, from DC to HC he has had some bad apples play lights out for him. I see the talent in Nkemdiche if they believe in the man not just the player then I'm fine with it. Sorry for the babbling, I can just sense a good amount of fans hating the pick...they all seem to trust Whaley when he is slinging around 1st round picks...if he picks this kid you have to trust their evaluations.

On Nkemdiche, no doubt about it I wouldn't select him either with what I know or have heard. If the Bills do select him I'm not going to freak out though, I'm going to trust that Whaley and company saw or heard something that gave them a further understanding of the young man.

I'm as critical of the front office as anybody but as fans we have to trust them to evaluate these guys mentally. We aren't privy to the Q and A sessions and we also don't get the first hand impressions of the individual.

Personally I think Rex's biggest strength is character assessment and appeasement, from DC to HC he has had some bad apples play lights out for him. I see the talent in Nkemdiche if they believe in the man not just the player then I'm fine with it. Sorry for the babbling, I can just sense a good amount of fans hating the pick...they all seem to trust Whaley when he is slinging around 1st round picks...if he picks this kid you have to trust their evaluations.

I think this is a good rational view.

I think this is a good rational view.

I would be pretty pissed if they picked Robert. I could easily deal with Noah.

Agree with Commonsense about common sense in trusting Bills evaluation these days.

But the Kid really had not earned his way. So his work ethic will always haunt me.

unfair ? perhaps.

That's why it's an opinion board I might suppose ; )

I would be pretty pissed if they picked Robert. I could easily deal with Noah.

Agree with Commonsense about common sense in trusting Bills evaluation these days.

But the Kid really had not earned his way. So his work ethic will always haunt me.

unfair ? perhaps.

That's why it's an opinion board I might suppose ; )

i don't really trust Noah Spence but he has mostly said all the right things (except when he reportedly told teams he wasn't the only one at OSU using ecstasy) and been clean for a year, so less of a risk than Nkemdiche. Also has a more stable family, which teams do use as a factor.

i don't really trust Noah Spence but he has mostly said all the right things (except when he reportedly told teams he wasn't the only one at OSU using ecstasy) and been clean for a year, so less of a risk than Nkemdiche. Also has a more stable family, which teams do use as a factor.

I think his play on the field warrants a longer look than Robert.

His off the field issues ( Spence ) may well be behind him and the boy can play football !

I think his play on the field warrants a longer look than Robert.

His off the field issues ( Spence ) may well be behind him and the boy can play football !

it isn't so much the fact he had the drug problem that concerns me, it was his blatant lying about it. To everyone. Even his family, coaches, etc. who all then went to bat for him, and he really embarrassed them when the truth came out. It was a little weird, tbh. Character red flag. Edited by YoloinOhio