2016 Draft D-line thread

Beerball

I would not touch Robert Nkemdiche in round one. Maybe the off-field issues can be explained/ignored, but he himself has admitted that he didn't play hard all the time. I think the latter is more concerning than even the off-field issues.

Even if you can motivate a guy like this to play hard most of the time, he hasn't shown that toughness and want-to that you need late when the game is on the line and in the hands of your defense. I'd rather have a slightly less talented player who wants it than the slightly more talented guy who has shown that he won't give 100% all of the time.

Edited by OldTimer1960

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been moving him up my board weekly, IMO one of the most under rated players in the draft, top 12 for me right now and ahead of Reed, Robinson and Rankins. I think he'd be a huge impact playmaker in the middle of our defensive line. I like him more than Buckner. Elite NFL power already, I like the thought of taking Reader later, but Billings in the first should be an option for this team.

A result of small trade down perhaps?

Or not. I don't know that Jones would be considered much of a reach at the Bills' spot in round one. Yes, we read of other players that are supposedly "higher ranked", but given differences in scheme fits and personnel philosophy, I can see him being in the mix with players like Billings, Rankins, Dodd, Butler, etc. From what I've read, Jones is a high motor, high upside player. I'd take that over a guy like Nkemdiche who you have to hope that you can motivate.

Jones has great height and heft and might be a really good option as a 3-4 DE that can slide inside in passing situations.

Not saying that I hope the Bills pick him, but rather that I see him as a viable option.

Or not. I don't know that Jones would be considered much of a reach at the Bills' spot in round one. Yes, we read of other players that are supposedly "higher ranked", but given differences in scheme fits and personnel philosophy, I can see him being in the mix with players like Billings, Rankins, Dodd, Butler, etc. From what I've read, Jones is a high motor, high upside player. I'd take that over a guy like Nkemdiche who you have to hope that you can motivate.

Jones has great height and heft and might be a really good option as a 3-4 DE that can slide inside in passing situations.

Not saying that I hope the Bills pick him, but rather that I see him as a viable option.

Its seems he is still a bit of a project?

Its seems he is still a bit of a project?

By pick 20, you are balancing production vs potential. No doubt, that occurs earlier in the draft.

Any draft pick is the "best of your team's analysis" of: production and potential. WRT potential, you have to consider growth potential, potential due to receiving better coaching, scheme fit, ability to cover-up weaknesses.

By pick 20, you are balancing production vs potential. No doubt, that occurs earlier in the draft.

Any draft pick is the "best of your team's analysis" of: production and potential. WRT potential, you have to consider growth potential, potential due to receiving better coaching, scheme fit, ability to cover-up weaknesses.

I do agree that some trust in the evaluation process is required in each pick.

But at nineteen, we have to hope for a " slam dunk" haha!

not so much a walk in and overcome, so much as a longterm win who will compete day one.

Seems Jones lands in an area that i would call developmental who can start.

Ideally we might prefer can start have impact and has a low floor high ceiling. Dreamer i know at 19.

Thats why i suggested a bit of a trade down. rather have two who could play but will respond to coaching as having one.

First pick needs to have production and potential.

now where is my koolaid

I do agree that some trust in the evaluation process is required in each pick.

But at nineteen, we have to hope for a " slam dunk" haha!

not so much a walk in and overcome, so much as a longterm win who will compete day one.

Seems Jones lands in an area that i would call developmental who can start.

Ideally we might prefer can start have impact and has a low floor high ceiling. Dreamer i know at 19.

Thats why i suggested a bit of a trade down. rather have two who could play but will respond to coaching as having one.

First pick needs to have production and potential.

now where is my koolaid

I understand where you are coming from, but suggest that the "hope for" vs "sure thing" starts earlier than pick 19'in most drafts. Really after the top 5-7 where you find a place regardless of scheme fit, I think you aware looking at fit between what is available and how they fit what you need/wan

I understand where you are coming from, but suggest that the "hope for" vs "sure thing" starts earlier than pick 19'in most drafts. Really after the top 5-7 where you find a place regardless of scheme fit, I think you aware looking at fit between what is available and how they fit what you need/wan

Right O !, Old timer : )

Once you get past 12 or so things can get a bit hazy. By then you have covered the top QBs LTs and Pass rushers, then CBs WRs too.

Of course team need does truly come into play especially for needy teams !

19 is tough spot. Quite the balancing act. i would rather ad another pick in the 2nd or 3rd and drop a spot or so than stress about whether a player can be coached up by the Bills.

I think it is clear i know little about the draft.

But i am risk adverse in principle. a rare occasion i will crawl out on a limb. I will do it but emotion has probably over ruled my thought process.

; )

Right O !, Old timer : )

Once you get past 12 or so things can get a bit hazy. By then you have covered the top QBs LTs and Pass rushers, then CBs WRs too.

Of course team need does truly come into play especially for needy teams !

19 is tough spot. Quite the balancing act. i would rather ad another pick in the 2nd or 3rd and drop a spot or so than stress about whether a player can be coached up by the Bills.

I think it is clear i know little about the draft.

But i am risk adverse in principle. a rare occasion i will crawl out on a limb. I will do it but emotion has probably over ruled my thought process.

; )

I am basically there with you. I would take lower ceiling and higher floor over boom or bust. I think that most anyone that will be available by pick 19 has some risk/projection to them.

I would not touch Robert Nkemdiche in round one. Maybe the off-field issues can be explained/ignored, but he himself has admitted that he didn't play hard all the time. I think the latter is more concerning than even the off-field issues.

Even if you can motivate a guy like this to play hard most of the time, he hasn't shown that toughness and want-to that you need late when the game is on the line and in the hands of your defense. I'd rather have a slightly less talented player who wants it than the slightly more talented guy who has shown that he won't give 100% all of the time.

Agree 100%. Ill be pissed if we waste our 1st 2 picks on nkemdndnmsnaksndlasndklas

@JoeBuscaglia

The #Bills will likely look to add a pass rusher & Kamalei Correa could be a name for the 2nd RD. How he fits them: https://t.co/OAKWblLh7X

Interesting prospect. in the 2nd. any more thoughts on his ability to disengage from blockers?

Agree 100%. Ill be pissed if we waste our 1st 2 picks on nkemdndnmsnaksndlasndklas

yep. And i don't care if he gets in the and tears it up. much.

too many more stable and solid players

@JoeBuscaglia

Marcell Dareus likely approves: Might the #Bills double down on Bama DL? My full thoughts here on A'Shawn Robinson: http://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/draft-fit-for-bills-dl-ashawn-robinson

I like him. If Bills have a couple of these Dline guys to choose from it will be tough.

Should be a fun draft this year!!