2016 Draft O-line thread

Beerball

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OT=RD2.

RD2--We're playing with one hand tied behind our backs at RT. Draft a tackle early. Before Day 2 ends. There is a lot of starters as late as RD2 this year. Whaley wants Cordy Glenn locked up at the end of the season. Per Rotoworld, Glenn allowed a career-high eight sacks in 2014, but has been one of the better pass-blocking left tackles the last two seasons. The Bills aren’t letting Glenn reach the open market, but re-signing him could prove difficult with DT Marcell Dareus and LB Nigel Bradham also in their final season. 25-year-old Glenn will command a deal in excess of Jared Veldheer's five-year, $35 million contract. Taylor Decker may be gone, but John Theus, Kyle Murphy, Germain Ifedi, or Tyler Marz would help the Bills. http://www.drafttek.com/2016-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-College-Right-Offensive-Tackles-2016-Draft.asp

OG=P2.

RD3-- Whaley hit the mother lode in Miller (though injured) and Incognito (who's 32 and a FA, but Whaley wants him, too). We need an OGOT to replace 8th-oldest player Urbik, so watch for OG Day 2, like Teofilo from Arizona State or Morris from Ole Miss. http://www.drafttek.com/2016-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-College-Offensive-Guards-2016-Draft.asp

OC=P3. Wood is good technique-wise, but he's 29, has the 8th-biggest contract, and Whaley will soon be planning for the future. While Dan Voltz is the #1 Center prospect, I see Wood's successor as a mid-round pick like C JACK ALLEN MICHIGAN ST (168-RD6) if the Bills get a trade-down pick. They've looked at OC NICK MARTIN NOTRE DAME (113-RD4). Bills scouts have seen Allen and C RYAN KELLY (206-RD7). No pressure if they don't take one this year. They'll just wait a year. http://www.drafttek.com/2016-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-College-Centers-2016-Draft.asp

Edited by Astrobot

http://thedraftwire.usatoday.com/2016/01/03/top-candidates-for-the-buffalo-bills-in-the-first-round/

OT Shon Coleman, Junior, Auburn Tigers

497166500.jpg?w=150&h=92The Bills have simply not gotten the performances they hoped for from young players Cyrus Kouandjio and Seantrel Henderson, and could look at another tackle if Glenn takes money elsewhere in free agency. Coleman is big, powerful, and nasty in the run game, but does need some technique work to play left tackle at the next level. The junior moves incredibly well for such a hulking man, and could play guard early on his career for Buffalo.

I know I sound like a broken record but the biggest fallacy in the history of this website- no hyperbole- is that the Bills offensive line always sucks. In 2012, the Bills were like top 2 in the league in yards per carry and least sacks allowed and to this day you will see people say stuff like, "well if Fred Jackson ever had an offensive line to run behind..." Just a few weeks ago, a prominent poster ranked Robert Woods ahead of Cordy Glenn as far as guys we need to re-sign.

Guys, the Bills offensive line as it stands right now in 2015 is ABOVE AVERAGE. It is good. Yes, they need a right tackle. I am not the least bit worried about their ability to address that. Sign a guy for $5 million per, draft a guy in the 3rd round, they'll be fine. Of course, this is all predicated on their ability to re-sign Glenn and Incognito, which I think they will.

http://thedraftwire.usatoday.com/2016/01/03/top-candidates-for-the-buffalo-bills-in-the-first-round/

497166500.jpg?w=150&h=92The Bills have simply not gotten the performances they hoped for from young players Cyrus Kouandjio and Seantrel Henderson, and could look at another tackle if Glenn takes money elsewhere in free agency. Coleman is big, powerful, and nasty in the run game, but does need some technique work to play left tackle at the next level. The junior moves incredibly well for such a hulking man, and could play guard early on his career for Buffalo.

Agree, you just left out Cyril Richardson. I think he may be on the taxi squad...

Does anyone think we should cut Kujo? I'm not sure what to think, but he seems like an afterthought.

I don't think so. I'd give him another year to develop as these young OL aren't always NFL ready. Miller struggled, Henderson, Kojo, Richardson all deserve more time. That said, if we find competent replacement back ups I am all for moving on.... RI is a keeper and Glenn is ok. I thought Urbik played pretty well overall when Miller went down and is a competent back up C. Wood is overpaid and average at best. I draft a OT pretty high and give him a chance to play T or G. A FA RT would be welcomed as well. I draft LB, OL,QB S, WR.

I know I sound like a broken record but the biggest fallacy in the history of this website- no hyperbole- is that the Bills offensive line always sucks. In 2012, the Bills were like top 2 in the league in yards per carry and least sacks allowed and to this day you will see people say stuff like, "well if Fred Jackson ever had an offensive line to run behind..." Just a few weeks ago, a prominent poster ranked Robert Woods ahead of Cordy Glenn as far as guys we need to re-sign.

Guys, the Bills offensive line as it stands right now in 2015 is ABOVE AVERAGE. It is good. Yes, they need a right tackle. I am not the least bit worried about their ability to address that. Sign a guy for $5 million per, draft a guy in the 3rd round, they'll be fine. Of course, this is all predicated on their ability to re-sign Glenn and Incognito, which I think they will.

3/5ths of the line either need to be replaced or signed. And Miller couldn't stay healthy. I think the concern about the OL is warranted.

Would you pay Glenn top 5 money? Top 10 money? Someone probably pays him top 10 money? How much of a discount will ncognito give the Bills or does he also go to the highest bidder?

Is Henderson an option at either OT spot? Mills/Henderson seem like good swing options with a rookie first rounder playing RT.

Henderson was a 7th round DP, so to say they didn't get the performance they hoped for is hard to believe. I thought Henderson played well early as a rookie, seem to recall him being the rookie of the month in Sept? This year he regressed before being sat down. What hasn't been stated when did this illness start affecting him and what is the long term prognosis of being cured? If it turns out he was already having trouble maintaining weight and eating properly since say training camp, but no one knew why, I'm more likely to feel better about him still being an adequate answer there, assuming he is OK next year. But likely won't know for certain the long term situation with him so probably need to draft another RT. If Henderson can come back, even if it means sitting out a full year or so could stil lgive you good depth there and cheap depth between Henderson and another rookie.

Does anyone think we should cut Kujo? I'm not sure what to think, but he seems like an afterthought.

The savings are negligible and his contract is up after 2016. Let him walk at that point if he doesn't take a major developmental step

I think the line is the most important upgrade for this coming year. Even assuming you keep Wood, Inc, and Glenn for reasonable money RT needs upgrade the most followed by RG. While run blocking is good, TT seems to run for his life on pass blocking. I think the PB breaks down too fast

Miller and Urbik are fine at RG. Miller will improve after his high ankle sprain.

I thought Henderson has crone's disease and may not play again or be able to keep on weight. I don't think Mills or Kujo are starting caliber.

Wood should have another year or two left in him at center.

Incognito finally lived up to his name. You want a OL man whose name is never called. Resign him for 3 years.

Glenn - resign him for 5 years.

Get a Vet RT if Henderson can't make it back.

Draft a 4th or 5th rounder for depth, Wood's eventual back-up?

What is it with Bills fans that think that because the team has three good linemen and one of those so good he made the other two finally look above average that it makes that unit a cohesive functional unit ? Because it doesn't and never will. In order to have a solid offensive line, the Bills need five good players.

The Bills need a starting Right Tackle and Kouandjio should be gone because he stinks. Henderson kept as a backup in hopes he develops into something better.

The Bills need a better starter at Right Guard and keep Miller as the backup. Miller is a good run blocker and not so good pass blocker as he still needs some development.

The Bills also need to make it a top priority to resign Richie Incognito who was so good this year that he elevated the play of Eric Wood and Cordy Glenn on both sides of him. Then he played like a bull almost all 16 games.

The Bills also need to resign Cordy Glenn to keep the integrity of the left side of that line to where it was most of this year.

JMHO

Edited by Nihilarian

What is it with Bills fans that think that because the team has three good linemen and one of those so good he made the other two finally look above average that it makes that unit a cohesive functional unit because it doesn't and never will. In order to have a solid offensive line, the Bills need five good players.

The Bills need a starting Right Tackle and Kouandjio should be gone because he stinks. Henderson kept as a backup in hopes he develops into something better.

The Bills need a better starter at Right Guard and keep Miller as the backup. Miller is a good run blocker and not so good pass blocker as he still needs some development.

The Bills also need to make it a top priority to resign Richie Incognito who was so good this year that he elevated the play of Eric Wood and Cordy Glenn on both sides of him. Then he played like a bull almost all 16 games.

The Bills also need to resign Cordy Glenn to keep the integrity of the left side of that line to where it was most of this year.

JMHO

I think RG will improve a lot with a real RT. Improving both would be ideal but if you can only do one, improving RT will help the line as a whole.

I agree with all of this. The left side is good, Wood is just fine, Miller/Urbik worked well and Miller is developing... only position I think is shaky is RT, and yet we still run that way quite a bit. If we find a stud in round two or three, go for it, but otherwise I'm fine with focusing on a DE and LBs in the early rounds.

I think the line is the most important upgrade for this coming year. Even assuming you keep Wood, Inc, and Glenn for reasonable money RT needs upgrade the most followed by RG. While run blocking is good, TT seems to run for his life on pass blocking. I think the PB breaks down too fast

He runs for his life because he only throws the football to receivers who are wide open, which doesn't happen on most plays. The pass blocking is fine. There were times where he had a comically long time to throw the football yesterday against a stout Jets front seven. This is exactly what I'm talking about. It's almost as if people only watch Bills games and assume that in every other game across the league, quarterbacks get to just stand back there and have all day to throw. That's not how football works. Relative to other lines in the league, the Bills' pass blocking is actually GOOD! Did anyone watch JJ Watt, say, yesterday? Did anyone watch JJ Watt against the Bills?

Edited by metzelaars_lives