2016 Draft O-line thread

Beerball

Ryan Grigson is still the GM they are just as likely to draft another WR as they are anyone else. After the beatings Luck took you would think that club is in agreement on drafting oline for the first few rounds

i think colts could take a RB like Elliott who is a polished pass blocker in the 1st rd. Or OL. I agree they need to make some progress protecting Luck. There aren't a lot of great WRs in this draft so I think they sign one in FA, like a Marvin jones type. Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a chance to watch some of Brandon Shell, the OT from South Carolina, in the Kentucky game. Apparently, he's Art Shell's nephew.

I think there's a lot to work with there--he's got a powerful lower body, and really gets off the ball well. Generally does a good job of mirroring in pass protection, and has a devastating cut block (when he times it properly).

He needs to clean up his footwork, as well as improve some pad level issues. He also gets caught lunging when a speed rusher tries to take him outside.

I think he's got the look of a 3rd/4th round pick. He reminds me a lot of Daryl Williams of Oklahoma last year, who I also graded in the 3rd/4th. I don't think he'll ever be a pro bowl guy, but he's probably a guy that can compete for a starting job at RT.

Anyone else see more of him and have opinions?

I got a chance to watch some of Brandon Shell, the OT from South Carolina, in the Kentucky game. Apparently, he's Art Shell's nephew.

I think there's a lot to work with there--he's got a powerful lower body, and really gets off the ball well. Generally does a good job of mirroring in pass protection, and has a devastating cut block (when he times it properly).

He needs to clean up his footwork, as well as improve some pad level issues. He also gets caught lunging when a speed rusher tries to take him outside.

I think he's got the look of a 3rd/4th round pick. He reminds me a lot of Daryl Williams of Oklahoma last year, who I also graded in the 3rd/4th. I don't think he'll ever be a pro bowl guy, but he's probably a guy that can compete for a starting job at RT.

I need to go back to him at some point. Watched him over the summer and had a borderline UDFA grade on him.

CBS has him as a 3rd/4th rounder. Sounds about right to me.

Teams might be put off by his short arms and he's a bit of an Iupati type. Ridiculous run blocker, iffy pass blocker. Not made for every team.

I'd be thrilled if we got Iupati...uh, Tretola in RD4, but when I look at upside for listed Guards, Tretola is at the top of the list. Don't listen to CBS. Do your own research.

Yes, he's one of six tackles I think the Bills are interested in. If he's half of Art Shell he's still a good pick! We could say he's on the half-Shell.

In order:

Round#
1-Jack Conklin Michigan State
1-Taylor Decker Ohio State (opened holes for Zeke Elliott)
2-Jason Spriggs Indiana (my most-likely, as he's a superior run blocker)--in fact, go here and read all about him! He was the pick assigned by computer this week.
3-Kyle Murphy Stanford (2nd-most likely)
3-Brandon Shell RT South Carolina
4-Pearce Slater RT San Diego St
If we don't address RT in Free Agency, one of these guys is a Bill. If we lose Cordy, two of them may be.

Yes, he's one of six tackles I think the Bills are interested in. If he's half of Art Shell he's still a good pick! We could say he's on the half-Shell.

In order:

Round#
1-Jack Conklin Michigan State
1-Taylor Decker Ohio State (opened holes for Zeke Elliott)
2-Jason Spriggs Indiana (my most-likely, as he's a superior run blocker)--in fact, go here and read all about him! He was the pick assigned by computer this week.
3-Kyle Murphy Stanford (2nd-most likely)
3-Brandon Shell RT South Carolina
4-Pearce Slater RT San Diego St
If we don't address RT in Free Agency, one of these guys is a Bill. If we lose Cordy, two of them may be.

What is your opinion on Shon Coleman?

What is your opinion on Shon Coleman?

Road grader, strong, RT only, but upside is far better than we have in camp right now at that position. Work ethic is top shelf.

His fight vs leukemia will give him the focus he'll need to succeed.

If we dropped down in RD1 (for, say, a late 2 or even 3), he's the pick. I don't think he'll be the RD1 pick, and he'd be gone by the 2nd round. That's the only reason he's not on the list there.

If Bills do not retain Glenn :wallbash:

Does Whaley draft a LT early, and possibly two O lineman then?

I am worried Bills are in a tough spot with Cordy and the importance of protecting Tyrod this year coming.

Maybe the Bills think they can just move over Hendy and get CK to step up a notch or 3 at RT?

Like i said i am little worried with the cap space a bit tight this year.

all that being said I hope Whaley can get a trade down offer and pick up some " picks "

If Bills do not retain Glenn :wallbash:

Does Whaley draft a LT early, and possibly two O lineman then?

I am worried Bills are in a tough spot with Cordy and the importance of protecting Tyrod this year coming.

Maybe the Bills think they can just move over Hendy and get CK to step up a notch or 3 at RT?

Like i said i am little worried with the cap space a bit tight this year.

all that being said I hope Whaley can get a trade down offer and pick up some " picks "

This will test Whaley's mettle like no other year. I think he and his scouts relish it, though.

OT is a slam-dunk, but LT would need to be drafted/acquired by FA real early if a deal isn't done with Cordy.

This will test Whaley's mettle like no other year. I think he and his scouts relish it, though.

OT is a slam-dunk, but LT would need to be drafted/acquired by FA real early if a deal isn't done with Cordy.

Let me ask this then, how do you feel about the Glenn / Cogs deal getting done?

I am very protective of our QB : ) even if he is mobile. consistency builds trust and trust builds confidence. Confidence builds winners.

I want TT to become the Winner for us all !

Thanks Bud :beer:

Haven't seen him mentioned as a first rounder in the mocks

Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks 23h23 hours ago

Alabama Center Ryan Kelly is one of the best interior OL prospects in the last 5 years. He has all-pro talent.

Our next mock has him going to ARI at 29, a -10 Reach, meaning he's on our Big Board at 39.

1 29 Arizona Ryan Kelly OC Alabama P2 -10 Reach

Haven't seen him mentioned as a first rounder in the mocks

Daniel Jeremiah @MoveTheSticks 23h23 hours ago

Alabama Center Ryan Kelly is one of the best interior OL prospects in the last 5 years. He has all-pro talent.

This OC class has been undersold for a while now. Kelly, Martin, Tuerk, Allen, Friend are all draftable and upgrades on the right rosters. I've seen a few suggestions for T/G prospects moving inside too.

Not sure there's a 1st round talent there but most didn't see Travis Frederick going in the 1st either.

This OC class has been undersold for a while now. Kelly, Martin, Tuerk, Allen, Friend are all draftable and upgrades on the right rosters. I've seen a few suggestions for T/G prospects moving inside too.

Not sure there's a 1st round talent there but most didn't see Travis Frederick going in the 1st either.

doesnt Seattle need a Center? Maybe they take him at end of first

• 2 weeks later...

Sal said on wgr today that he was told the Bills are definitely in the market for an OT in this draft, and possibly early. That's regardless of what happens with Glenn. He said they like this class of OTs. Fwiw.

I don't really have an issue with the players in this draft--as I think Conklin and Decker can be fine RTs.

I wouldn't want to spend a high pick on a RT though; if possible, I'd rather try and get a guy like Spriggs in the 2nd or Murphy in the 3rd.