2016 Draft O-line thread

Beerball

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a chance to watch some of Brandon Shell, the OT from South Carolina, in the Kentucky game. Apparently, he's Art Shell's nephew.

I think there's a lot to work with there--he's got a powerful lower body, and really gets off the ball well. Generally does a good job of mirroring in pass protection, and has a devastating cut block (when he times it properly).

He needs to clean up his footwork, as well as improve some pad level issues. He also gets caught lunging when a speed rusher tries to take him outside.

I think he's got the look of a 3rd/4th round pick. He reminds me a lot of Daryl Williams of Oklahoma last year, who I also graded in the 3rd/4th. I don't think he'll ever be a pro bowl guy, but he's probably a guy that can compete for a starting job at RT.

Anyone else see more of him and have opinions?

Finally got around to re-watching him and I'm glad I did. I don't know if I watched 2014 games after he tore his labrum (offseason surgery to correct it) but he was much improved last season. For the most part, I agree with your assessment of him. Pure speed guys will eat him alive (Charles Harris from Mizzou got him outside and then victimised him with a spin move inside).

He's a guy that I like as a swing tackle (better LT than RT for me). Tested pretty well for a guy his size and he's already battle tested with 48 career starts.

Add him to Parker Ehinger and Halapoulivaati Vaitai as guys I'd like to add to the mix early Day 3.

Edited by Blokestradamus

Just putting it out there; Jerald Hawkins of LSU is the single worst OT I've watched all year.

Limited athlete with almost zero technique. A guy I don't draft in any round. Developmental would insist on there being talent to develop.

Edited by Blokestradamus

Just watching Germain Ifedi vs Ole Miss. In the first quarter alone, he's not been called on 4-5 probable false starts.

Guys are talking him up in the 1st and he can't even execute the fundamental basics of football.

Gave him a UDFA grade. He can go !@#$ himself. :angry:

Edited by Blokestradamus

Lol.

This is how scouting reports should be written.

You should see my handwritten notes on guys like Scooby Wright and Shawn Oakman. They would severely test the language filter. :lol:

Ifedi is a technical mess. He's lazy and fails to adequately prepare. Guys like him aren't worth my time.

Edit: On the plus side, he did inspire this - https://twitter.com/Tanner_ASU/status/660143251005898753

Edited by Blokestradamus

The big dog has spoken. Sorry, Conklin fans. When Duke talks OL, I listen. Duke and Geoff Schwartz will have a podcast dedicated to the draft soon, I'll post the link.

@BigDuke50

Take it how you want it... there are 4 tackles worth taking in the 1st round: 1)Tunsil 2)Decker 3)Stanley 4)Whitehair (Projects to OG)

Edited by Blokestradamus

The big dog has spoken. Sorry, Conklin fans. When Duke talks OL, I listen. Duke and Geoff Schwartz will have a podcast dedicated to the draft soon, I'll post the link.

@BigDuke50

Take it how you want it... there are 4 tackles worth taking in the 1st round: 1)Tunsil 2)Decker 3)Stanley 4)Whitehair (Projects to OG)

It looks like the Titans want a tackle at 15, but the noises coming out are Conklin is their guy. In putting together my latest mock I think that could see Decker still there at #19.

It looks like the Titans want a tackle at 15, but the noises coming out are Conklin is their guy. In putting together my latest mock I think that could see Decker still there at #19.

If the Titans traded out of Laremy Tunsil for Jack Conklin, I am going to be HOWLING on Thursday night.

If Decker makes it to 19, I don't see how he's not BPA. Something ridculous happens if he's not, like Myles Jack falling.

If the Titans traded out of Laremy Tunsil for Jack Conklin, I am going to be HOWLING on Thursday night.

If Decker makes it to 19, I don't see how he's not BPA. Something ridculous happens if he's not, like Myles Jack falling.

I am not quite as down on Conklin (he is the 4th tackle for me and a late 1st) as you but with the principle I agree, especially about Decker being BPA at #19.

Edited by GunnerBill