2016 Draft O-line thread

Beerball

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have Decker as the 14th best player once I have taken Jaylon Smith off the board for injury reasons.

The offensive lineman I have higher than I am sure almost everyone else is Ryan Kelly. I have him one spot above Decker on my board. I love him as a prospect.

I have Decker as the 14th best player once I have taken Jaylon Smith off the board for injury reasons.

The offensive lineman I have higher than I am sure almost everyone else is Ryan Kelly. I have him one spot above Decker on my board. I love him as a prospect.

Once I put Kelly in, he'll probably slip in at 24/25. Have to decide between him and Cody Whitehair who goes above who, both feature near the top of my 2nd rounders.

Whitehair is in a little clutch of players I have graded at the very top of the second. I have 23 "genuine" first round grades once I discount Smith having looked at about 85 total players (probably far fewer than you and Bandit). A lot of my little clutch at the top of the second will no doubt go in the first.

As for Kelly, I have continuously mocked him to the Colts since way before any of the network guys had him even in the 1st round. I think Detroit at 16 is another possibility. If I was in the Indi draft room and he was there at #18 I wouldn't hesitate.

I keep hearing the name of LeRaven Clark coming up during chats with some folks that work in scouting--seems he's going to end up being drafted significantly higher than I would've expected.

I've even heard that 1st round isn't out of the question, which sounds crazy to me. I have him as a 3rd rounder on measurables alone--I think he's a train wreck technique-wise.

I keep hearing the name of LeRaven Clark coming up during chats with some folks that work in scouting--seems he's going to end up being drafted significantly higher than I would've expected.

I've even heard that 1st round isn't out of the question, which sounds crazy to me. I have him as a 3rd rounder on measurables alone--I think he's a train wreck technique-wise.

I'm with you. No fundamentals at all.

Him and Germain Ifedi both getting that hype. I have one as a 6th and one UDFA.

Both are players that I actually think are hindered by their length. They're both so long and uncoordinated, it's almost impossible to teach them how to time their punch properly.

Him and Germain Ifedi both getting that hype. I have one as a 6th and one UDFA.

Both are players that I actually think are hindered by their length. They're both so long and uncoordinated, it's almost impossible to teach them how to time their punch properly.

Definitely agree on the length for Clark--he's downright awkward looking out there.

I think Ifedi belongs at guard, where things happen fast enough that he can play in attack mode more often. Physically, he reminds me so much of Osemele, but his technique issues are much more pronounced.

I'm with you. No fundamentals at all.

I really want the Jets to draft him :lol:

Definitely agree on the length for Clark--he's downright awkward looking out there.

I think Ifedi belongs at guard, where things happen fast enough that he can play in attack mode more often. Physically, he reminds me so much of Osemele, but his technique issues are much more pronounced.

Did you watch Ifedi vs Ole Miss? I swear he false started at least 15-20 times in that game. I lost patience with him (if you track back in this thread, you can see my exasperation!), it's a lack of preparation on his part.

It's a shame because he can be better. I think his feet are nimble enough to play tackle, he just looks so damn sluggish at times. There are guys in CFB that wish they had what he does and he's wasting it.

Did you watch Ifedi vs Ole Miss? I swear he false started at least 15-20 times in that game. I lost patience with him (if you track back in this thread, you can see my exasperation!), it's a lack of preparation on his part.

It's a shame because he can be better. I think his feet are nimble enough to play tackle, he just looks so damn sluggish at times. There are guys in CFB that wish they had what he does and he's wasting it.

I watched the Alabama game. I think actually that he demonstrated his understanding of his assignments pretty well in that game. I agree with Bandit he looks better when he is in attack mode. When he is asked to read and react I think he reads okay but then his guy seems to almost be on him before he can react and my biggest concern with him is that when that happens his reaction seems to be to hold and he could turn into a penalty machine at the next level.

I did give him a second round grade but it was low 2nd and he will almost certainly go higher. Not a player I'm awfully keen on the Bills taking but I think he could be a serviceable NFL player. That is his ceiling for me.

Edited by GunnerBill

I watched the Alabama game. I think actually that he demonstrated his understanding of his assignments pretty well in that game. I agree with Bandit he looks better when he is in attack mode. When he is asked to read and react I think he reads okay but then his guy seems to almost be on him before he can react and my biggest concern with him is that when that happens his reaction seems to be to hold and he could turn into a penalty machine at the next level.

I did give him a second round grade but it was low 2nd and he will almost certainly go higher. Not a player I'm awfully keen on the Bills taking but I think he could be a serviceable NFL player. That is his ceiling for me.

I put off watching him all year because I knew how I felt about him. He's not as bad as I make him out to be but I see something in him I want next to nothing to do with. I think I'm just tired of the 'Well, he looks like a tackle' criteria that seemingly discounts technique as an afterthought. It's frankly half of what's put the NFL in their current crisis with the offensive line, as much as they want to blame CFB for it all.

Just look at Seattle. It's hard to find NFL-ready OL, I'll admit that. What you don't do is draft a 3-Tech DT from Buffalo and play him at guard. It doesn't work like that. It's a lifelong pursuit that takes years of dedication and to see teams as (seemingly) smart as Seattle take such a blase attitude to it annoys me.

There's an OL coach out there that thinks Ifedi is fixable. I hope he is because the game needs as many good OL as possible, just not a guy I can get behind. If the Bills want all that length that needs technical refinement, you spent a 2nd round pick on him two years ago. Maybe start with that guy!