2016 Draft O-line thread

Beerball

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with Blokes--I actually think that Jack will be a fine RT, but I wouldn't draft a RT with the 19th pick this year.

I still can't decide where I'd play him. I think ultimately he'll get kicked in to RG. He certainly has the requisite nasty to play on the interior.

If I can get Decker/Stanley at 19, I take them. RT upgrade, shown ability to play LT, gives leverage with Cordy.

I still can't decide where I'd play him. I think ultimately he'll get kicked in to RG. He certainly has the requisite nasty to play on the interior.

If I can get Decker/Stanley at 19, I take them. RT upgrade, shown ability to play LT, gives leverage with Cordy.

Love Stanely--I'm not really a Decker guy. I think he's too upright and stiff to be a LT, which is surprising because I feel like he's a good athlete.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, question for everyone....

If Jack Conklin is there when we pick at #19, do we draft him?

CBF

I would, for several reasons.

For as good as members of the line have been in run blocking, pass blocking is another matter. They ranked near the bottom of the NFL in adjusted sack rate, giving up 42 sacks, with one of the lowest number of attempts in the league. That's actually pretty bad.

Some of that can be blamed on Tyrod holding on the ball too long, but much of it can be blamed on someone blowing through an OL, usually on the right side. In addition, there were a number of sacks avoided by Tyrod himself, being able to slip past a pass rusher who blew by someone.

Miller struggled mightily in pass pro, and was really inconsistent. He's still got his college attitude of just planting his feet and slugging it out at the line, instead of giving ground when needed. I really like the guy, and am really pulling for him to improve, but his pass pro is well below NFL standards.

At RT, Henderson showed what he was known for. Good athlete for his size, very good blocker at times, but wildly inconsistent. I can understand why Whaley took a chance on Kujo despite his red flags, but the red flags showed to be true. Actually, I love him as a run blocker, and like when Roman throws him in as a 3rd tackle on run plays. But in pass pro....damned.

The thing is..when you have an inconsistent pass blocker at guard, and add in an inconsistent pass blocker at tackle, you're in trouble, like they were much of the time last year. You can only cover so many holes in pass protection.

Even with a ground and pound team, they are still passing as much as they are running. And like penalties, a sack is a killer for a ground and pound team.

I'd look at this as an excellent opportunity to help solidify the O line for a reasonable cost. You can get several years out of a guy on a rookie contract, a far less cost than what you'd pay a comparable FA.

I would, for several reasons.

For as good as members of the line have been in run blocking, pass blocking is another matter. They ranked near the bottom of the NFL in adjusted sack rate, giving up 42 sacks, with one of the lowest number of attempts in the league. That's actually pretty bad.

Some of that can be blamed on Tyrod holding on the ball too long, but much of it can be blamed on someone blowing through an OL, usually on the right side. In addition, there were a number of sacks avoided by Tyrod himself, being able to slip past a pass rusher who blew by someone.

Miller struggled mightily in pass pro, and was really inconsistent. He's still got his college attitude of just planting his feet and slugging it out at the line, instead of giving ground when needed. I really like the guy, and am really pulling for him to improve, but his pass pro is well below NFL standards.

At RT, Henderson showed what he was known for. Good athlete for his size, very good blocker at times, but wildly inconsistent. I can understand why Whaley took a chance on Kujo despite his red flags, but the red flags showed to be true. Actually, I love him as a run blocker, and like when Roman throws him in as a 3rd tackle on run plays. But in pass pro....damned.

The thing is..when you have an inconsistent pass blocker at guard, and add in an inconsistent pass blocker at tackle, you're in trouble, like they were much of the time last year. You can only cover so many holes in pass protection.

Even with a ground and pound team, they are still passing as much as they are running. And like penalties, a sack is a killer for a ground and pound team.

I'd look at this as an excellent opportunity to help solidify the O line for a reasonable cost. You can get several years out of a guy on a rookie contract, a far less cost than what you'd pay a comparable FA.

I agree with your take on what the Bills have shown.

But don't you think there can be an upgrade in later rounds? I struggle to consider taking a rt or guard at 19 when Bills might have more need at DE and LB.

But you theory is sound in regard to pass pro. To take the next step in the Offense marked improvement needs to be made. How to do it is worth discussion and possibly it's own thread : )

I suspect they might start Jordan Mills anyways at RT.

The more I watch of Germain Ifedi, the more I think he reminds me of Kelechi Osemele.

Both 6'6", both ~330 lbs, both have very long arms and huge hands, and both have that violent, devastating inside punch that can throw oncoming rushers completely out of rhythm.

Makes me wonder if he's the target for Baltimore--who just lost Osemele in FA--at the 36th pick...

I agree with your take on what the Bills have shown.

But don't you think there can be an upgrade in later rounds? I struggle to consider taking a rt or guard at 19 when Bills might have more need at DE and LB.

But you theory is sound in regard to pass pro. To take the next step in the Offense marked improvement needs to be made. How to do it is worth discussion and possibly it's own thread : )

I suspect they might start Jordan Mills anyways at RT.

I'd love for them to find a RT, or any other OL in a later round, I really would...it just hasn't happened...and I have no reason to expect it will suddenly turn around.12 years (actually longer) is more than enough time to wait for this theory to come to fruition. If they had a little history of success I'd feel differently.

People would be horrified if we did this with the defensive backfield. I don't know how many people would say, "OK, we drafted Ross Cockrell in the 4th, or Justin Rogers in the 7th...so we're set for a few years, we have to see what they can do."

I look at it as a positive thing...with one addition..this line can be improved significantly. Unlike prior years, when 3 or more positions had to be filled. 1 draft choice can go a long way to shoring up pass protection, maybe getting away from being towards the bottom of the league. They still pass as much as they run the ball.

Please no.

This guy is a train wreck IMO

He's a minimum of 1 year from playing

Not sure if he's been in a 3 point stance since his pop warner days.

Red Raiders are like that.