Pegulas announce Rex and Whaley will return in 2016

YoloinOhio

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad news for us. 17 and counting.....

...and it won't because of keeping Rex. It will because of the front-office won't be able to improve the roster because they will be handcuffed because of the cap....any way they try to attack free agency and re-signing their own, the cap is going to haunt them and they will end up realizing the trade offs they will have to make...to fill one hole they will have to create another....

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Based on what I have learned by reading many threads on TBD, I think the following will happen:

Rex wants a big nose tackle, and a mike LB who is big and can take on a RB at the line of scrimmage. Whaley will get him these players through FA or draft.

If this is correct, it doesn't seem like a bad idea. My biggest concern with this scheme is that it relies on a small number of players with unique physiques and capabilities, which means injuries/depth will be a major concern.

If Rex craps the bed next year (I think he will), then the 2017 season will be a rebuilding year with a new staff, and 2018 will be THE year (again).

My concern with Rex is not his football IQ, but the fact that he seems to run a loose, disorganized team. I get the feeling that practices are not organized or effective, just based on players who don't seem to know what to do on the field. Lack of discipline and accountability leads to players who aren't concerned (scared) about making penalties or fumbling.

Poor time management, late getting plays in quickly, poor attention to detail (functioning headsets, TV monitors to assess red flag challenges, etc.), are some of the reasons why Rex will fail if he doesn't fix things. He shouldn't be spending his time as the de facto defensive coordinator. He should be spending his time doing head coach things, which may not be as hands-on as he likes, but that's the nature of the job.

Exactly my thinking. And every bit as important as figurung out how he screwed the defense up.

And, for me, the worst of it all was that we saw zero improvement over the course of the season. None. How anyone can have confidence that a couple of new players will suddenly make this a playoff team after the garbage coaching we saw this year is beyond me. I guess hope bleeds eternal Buffalo blue.

Based on what I have learned by reading many threads on TBD, I think the following will happen:

Rex wants a big nose tackle, and a mike LB who is big and can take on a RB at the line of scrimmage. Whaley will get him these players through FA or draft.

If this is correct, it doesn't seem like a bad idea. My biggest concern with this scheme is that it relies on a small number of players with unique physiques and capabilities, which means injuries/depth will be a major concern.

If Rex craps the bed next year (I think he will), then the 2017 season will be a rebuilding year with a new staff, and 2018 will be THE year (again).

My concern with Rex is not his football IQ, but the fact that he seems to run a loose, disorganized team. I get the feeling that practices are not organized or effective, just based on players who don't seem to know what to do on the field. Lack of discipline and accountability leads to players who aren't concerned (scared) about making penalties or fumbling.

Poor time management, late getting plays in quickly, poor attention to detail (functioning headsets, TV monitors to assess red flag challenges, etc.), are some of the reasons why Rex will fail if he doesn't fix things. He shouldn't be spending his time as the de facto defensive coordinator. He should be spending his time doing head coach things, which may not be as hands-on as he likes, but that's the nature of the job.

Fix things? You list very basic coaching functions which he is failing at. He has been a HC for more than a couple of years---how on earth is it that he still has to fix these basic deficiencies?

That's rich...his record...like he has a long list of teams he's run into the ground.

He owns two teams. One team is emerging from a planned tanking and rebuild. The other didn't make the playoffs in his first full year of control. THAT'S HIS RECORD! :doh:

You in particular as well as others always talk about the tanking of the Sabres ("planned", no less). Can you link to any specific declaration by Pegula or anyone else that they were losing games for years to improve the future roster?

I think Rex most likely runs the overall operation fine, and he has an excellent staff. I think the discipline or lack of comes from trying to be a players' coach, wanting to be their buddy, and his bloviating. He also is not a good game-day HC.

:huh::huh::huh::huh: Danny Crossman and Dennis Thurman are not good at their jobs and holdovers from his Jets staff like Sanjay Lal and David Lee should not been brought over imo, Rex is way too loyal to guys who haven't contributed to a winning team in recent years for him.

@chrisbrownbills

Pegulas back #Bills front office and coaching staff - Full statement here -

http://m.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Pegulas-back-Bills-front-office-and-coaching-staff/fdc9e76f-f5bd-46f2-97c0-642780f3bb30

Terry Pegula: "This stable foundation is necessary to achieve long term success in the NFL" #Bills #BillsMafia

I don't believe this is a surprise to anyone. Pegula has invested a fortune in Rex Ryan and he is unwilling to write off over 25 million dollars after one year. I think Pegula knows in his heart that he hired the wrong guy, but it's terribly hard on a billionaire's ego to admit publicly that he got swindled by a carnival barker like Ryan.

Pegula will learn his lesson the hard way just like he did with the Sabres. He will stick with this loser a little too long to save face then he will wake up to reality.

It takes a couple years for most owners to recognize their errors. Ryan was a gigantic error. The five year contract was silly given that Ryan has a losing record as a head coach. I can't blame this one on Ralph, but the story remains the same.

I don't believe this is a surprise to anyone. Pegula has invested a fortune in Rex Ryan and he is unwilling to write off over 25 million dollars after one year. I think Pegula knows in his heart that he hired the wrong guy, but it's terribly hard on a billionaire's ego to admit publicly that he got swindled by a carnival barker like Ryan.

Pegula will learn his lesson the hard way just like he did with the Sabres. He will stick with this loser a little too long to save face then he will wake up to reality.

It takes a couple years for most owners to recognize their errors. Ryan was a gigantic error. The five year contract was silly given that Ryan has a losing record as a head coach. I can't blame this one on Ralph, but the story remains the same.

No way in hell that's his actual though process.

Personally, I've heard that the same janitor has been cleaning the war room for the last 16 years; I think he's the real issue. I mean, he's a holdover from the previous regime. It makes sense

Do you understand the difference in the roles between the janitor and the team president? If the janitor hired a senile Marv Levy, Buddy Nix, Chan Gailey, Doug Marrone and Rex Ryan, I would want him fired, too.

It is incredible that Russ Brandon with his role would get a pass from fans thinking he has no responsibility for this mess. You're way too hung up on the draft thing, and I think you're using that to deflect from the fact that a top executive for this franchise has been in charge for a decade and his number one goal is winning and making the playoffs (something he has stated a billion times), and he literally has not come close. Not once.

Flame on, if you must.

That's rich...his record...like he has a long list of teams he's run into the ground.

He owns two teams. One team is emerging from a planned tanking and rebuild. The other didn't make the playoffs in his first full year of control. THAT'S HIS RECORD! :doh:

Facts not excuses.

Only two teams have less points than the Sabres this season. Yes, that is a step up from his creating the lowest scoring team. Just how low should we have to keep our expectations?

Looking back at the Sabres record in the years since Peluga has owned the Sabres, their combined standings have been lower than the combined standings of the same number of years previous to his ownership.

The Bills will win less games this year than last. Is his rebuild plan for the Bills like his Sabres plan, on tanking under Rex to finally start a real rebuild for 5 years from now? Enough is enough, be competitive now, not for the next generation.

That is his record. Of teams being worse under his ownership. Your hopes and fantasies of better days are at this point just fantasies, There is no basis in the records to justify them.

After hearing almost two decades of new 3 or 5 year rebuild promises from the Bills, I am short on believing this new rebuild under Pegula will have any better results. Drink another glass of Kool-aide and put on those even rosier shaded glasses, maybe that works for you.

For me, it is time to show me the results. I am not that gullible anymore.

Consistency Ha, a consistent record of getting worse and losing.

Edited by simpleman

Facts not excuses.

Only two teams have less points than the Sabres this season. Yes, that is a step up from his creating the lowest scoring team. Just how low should we have to keep our expectations?

Looking back at the Sabres record in the years since Peluga has owned the Sabres, their combined standings have been lower than the combined standings of the same number of years previous to his ownership.

The Bills will win less games this year than last. Is his rebuild plan for the Bills like his Sabres plan, on tanking under Rex to finally start a real rebuild for 5 years from now? Enough is enough, be competitive now, not for the next generation.

That is his record. Of teams being worse under his ownership. Your hopes and fantasies of better days are at this point just fantasies, There is no basis in the records to justify them.

After hearing almost two decades of new 3 or 5 year rebuild promises from the Bills, I am short on believing this new rebuild under Pegula will have any better results. Drink another glass of Kool-aide and put on those even rosier shaded glasses, maybe that works for you.

For me, it is time to show me the results. I am not that gullible anymore.

Consistency Ha, a consistent record of getting worse and losing.

How rude of you to question the Great Pegula and his impeccable record as an owner of sports franchises. Didn't you know that he is beyond criticism? That if he is criticized by you (or, God forbid, by a Buffalo News columnist) he might just take the Bills and move them to Toronto or LA or London? Please show more respect.

Do you understand the difference in the roles between the janitor and the team president? If the janitor hired a senile Marv Levy, Buddy Nix, Chan Gailey, Doug Marrone and Rex Ryan, I would want him fired, too.

It is incredible that Russ Brandon with his role would get a pass from fans thinking he has no responsibility for this mess. You're way too hung up on the draft thing, and I think you're using that to deflect from the fact that a top executive for this franchise has been in charge for a decade and his number one goal is winning and making the playoffs (something he has stated a billion times), and he literally has not come close. Not once.

Flame on, if you must.

The problem is that you're using the words "in charge" as though that describes his role

In charge of what? He's most certainly not in charge of football operations, and hasn't been since Buddy Nix was promoted to GM.

Again, you're basically attributing anything you don't like about the team to Russ. Why does that make sense to you?

How rude of you to question the Great Pegula and his impeccable record as an owner of sports franchises. Didn't you know that he is beyond criticism? That if he is criticized by you (or, God forbid, by a Buffalo News columnist) he might just take the Bills and move them to Toronto or LA or London? Please show more respect.

So no acknowledgement that the Sabres are considered one of the most talented young teams in the NHL?

No acknowledgement that Pegula's only season of ownership in the NFL resulted in a winning record?

Let's gloss over all of it so that you can be snarky.

@chrisbrownbills

Pegulas back #Bills front office and coaching staff - Full statement here -

http://m.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Pegulas-back-Bills-front-office-and-coaching-staff/fdc9e76f-f5bd-46f2-97c0-642780f3bb30

Terry Pegula: "This stable foundation is necessary to achieve long term success in the NFL" #Bills #BillsMafia

Success for anyone playing the Buffalo Bills that actually means to WIN!!!!!

So no acknowledgement that the Sabres are considered one of the most talented young teams in the NHL?

No acknowledgement that Pegula's only season of ownership in the NFL resulted in a winning record?

Let's gloss over all of it so that you can be snarky.

As I have said, I don't follow hockey any more so I'll just have to take your word for it that, after four years in the wilderness, the Sabres are ready to break out, even though they apparently have the third worst record in the league right now. As to the Bills, are you saying the Pegulas deserve credit for last year's fabulous 9-7* record? Anyway, that's not the point. I'm merely suggesting that the Pegulas are not above criticism, and that there is scant evidence that they actually know what they are doing when it comes to running a professional sports franchise.

This is exactly what needed to happen....stability.....

Consistently NOT IN THE PLAYOFFS!!! , MEDICORE, GOOD JOB BOYS = BAH HUMBUG

Pettine coming back as his DC makes sense to me. They can improve on the bit of success the defense had in 2013. I think he's a good motivator and teacher.

He needs to get fired first but I would be OK with this!

As I have said, I don't follow hockey any more so I'll just have to take your word for it that, after four years in the wilderness, the Sabres are ready to break out, even though they apparently have the third worst record in the league right now. As to the Bills, are you saying the Pegulas deserve credit for last year's fabulous 9-7* record? Anyway, that's not the point. I'm merely suggesting that the Pegulas are not above criticism, and that there is scant evidence that they actually know what they are doing when it comes to running a professional sports franchise.

Perfect response.

We get to blame the Pegulas for the Sabres' cupboard being bare and GM mismanagement prior to their purchase of the team, but we also get to discredit them for the Bills' record last year.

And no, when you come with snark you aren't "merely suggesting".

A person that says they don't follow the Sabres is in zero position to discuss evidence (or lack thereof) regarding Pegula's ability to run a franchise.

The Sabres are a very young, competitive team with a ton of talent and still have a good crop of prospects in their system. They have a highly-respected, forward-thinking GM and a Stanley Cup winning head coach.

I think most neutral observers would classify that as being a solid foundation

We get to blame the Pegulas for the Sabres' cupboard being bare and GM mismanagement prior to their purchase of the team, but we also get to discredit them for the Bills' record last year.

I don't understand this sentence. I wasn't trying to discredit the Pegulas for the Bills' record last year; they pretty clearly had little to do with it, one way or the other. This year is a different matter. They hired Ryan and had him report directly to them; Ryan's first year has been disappointing, if not an utter fiasco. There was also the embarrassing episode last year when the Pegulas apparently tried to hire Polian as "Football Czar" and got publicly left at the altar, thus undermining the authority of their GM. Again, it's still early days and it's not surprising that the Pegulas have made a few missteps and things might turn out great, but I don't think they have earned the presumption that they know what they are doing.