Jets--they really aren't much, if at all better than Bills

Big Turk

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few things: the only game that really made our schedule significantly tougher IMO is us playing the Bengals while the Jets played the Browns. Chiefs are better than the Raiders but not by a whole lot IMO.

As far as beating the Jets head-to-head, today the Ravens finished a sweep of the Steelers and the Rams finished a season sweep of the Seahawks. Anyone want to argue that the Ravens are as good as or better than the Steelers or that the Rams are as good as the Seahawks?

Not saying I disagree with the idea that we could be as good as the Jets. Just some things to consider.

I'm sorry but this is another of those "moral victory" type posts. We're really not that bad, yada, yada. Bottom line, the Jets are 10-5 and playing for a WC playoff spot in the final week of the season. Our season ended in November. They're a better team. Plain and simple.

The Bills haven't played a playoff game this century- sixteen years without a playoff appearance. It's embarrassing and rather humiliating to admit (but it's true)- we are the worst team in North American sports. We don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to comparisons with other teams. We are the bottom feeder.

We are loaded with talent but it's been wasted. That's why I'm so down on Rex.

Listen if next year we aren't playing well and still look lost on defense I'd say your criticism is justified, but to just criticize the head coach that REALLY wanted to be a part of this team and community after the first year is just unfair. It takes at least a year of letting the coach learn his team, evaluate the personnel, and make changes accordingly. Remember Rex decided to come here when we didn't have a quarterback that was worth anything. He brought in Tyrod Taylor that is setting team records. He brought in Incognito as well. He brought in Percy Harvin (who was critical in some wins earlier this season). He addressed the offense and yes he deserves credit -- not just Roman. So yes, I don't think for a minute that the Pegulas chose the wrong coach. Had Tyrod not got injured and we won in Jacksonville, nobody would have been talking so terribly about Ryan. Aaron Williams the key player who was going to be the critical leader on the defense got injured terribly and we lost him for the year. Then Kyle Williams went out for the season. Last week Gilmore. Why isn't anybody appreciating the fact that we have 12 starters out and we might break even? What coach did this? Marrone went 7-9 and then was gifted 9-7 by the second string Pats team in the second half of the last game last year. That defense had no injuries and played lights out. I just find it terrible this coach that carries a lot of national attention making us relevant not only to the media, but to NFL free agents as well, who chose this small market team and embraced the community, is not being supported by the fans.

I'll say this: if we beat the Jets again and Pitt loses and the Jets sneak into the playoffs anyhow then we are really going to be kicking ourselves. We had the opportunities to do it this year and we blew it and a team we have basically dominated the past few years is going instead. Actually make that 2 teams. We have owned KC everywhere but on the scoreboard the last 3 meetings

Depressing!

How many games were one play away? The phantom PI on Robey against the Jaguars. The last minute throw that was too high for Watkins against the Pats. etc, etc, etc.

Every so often there is a year when it comes down to a few key plays that stand between the Bills and the playoffs.

A few key injuries. A few bad plays. Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda.

Here's the thing... the good teams make those plays.

I'll say this: if we beat the Jets again and Pitt loses and the Jets sneak into the playoffs anyhow then we are really going to be kicking ourselves. We had the opportunities to do it this year and we blew it and a team we have basically dominated the past few years is going instead. Actually make that 2 teams. We have owned KC everywhere but on the scoreboard the last 3 meetings

Depressing!

I say depressing no matter what happens. Bluntly put, we let ourselves get ass-whipped by 4 teams we should have been able to beat (Jax, Eagles, Redskins, and Giants).

We win 3 of those 4 games, we're 9 - 5 now just like the Jetsies and next week is for the Playoff slot, winner take all.

But you are what your schedule says you are.

Listen if next year we aren't playing well and still look lost on defense I'd say your criticism is justified, but to just criticize the head coach that REALLY wanted to be a part of this team and community after the first year is just unfair. It takes at least a year of letting the coach learn his team, evaluate the personnel, and make changes accordingly. Remember Rex decided to come here when we didn't have a quarterback that was worth anything. He brought in Tyrod Taylor that is setting team records. He brought in Incognito as well. He brought in Percy Harvin (who was critical in some wins earlier this season). He addressed the offense and yes he deserves credit -- not just Roman. So yes, I don't think for a minute that the Pegulas chose the wrong coach. Had Tyrod not got injured and we won in Jacksonville, nobody would have been talking so terribly about Ryan. Aaron Williams the key player who was going to be the critical leader on the defense got injured terribly and we lost him for the year. Then Kyle Williams went out for the season. Last week Gilmore. Why isn't anybody appreciating the fact that we have 12 starters out and we might break even? What coach did this? Marrone went 7-9 and then was gifted 9-7 by the second string Pats team in the second half of the last game last year. That defense had no injuries and played lights out. I just find it terrible this coach that carries a lot of national attention making us relevant not only to the media, but to NFL free agents as well, who chose this small market team and embraced the community, is not being supported by the fans.

So how many seasons has Todd Bowles had with the Jets?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14446516/todd-bowles-poise-no-nonsense-approach-exactly-new-york-jets-need-nfl

Look, I loved the Rex hire. LOVED IT! But about 5 weeks in when we were committing stupid penalties for no reason at all and it was costing us games, I knew we had a dunce for a coach. The only significant difference between the Jets and us are the coaches. They took our rejects (QB, OC etc) and built a playoff team. You need luck. No doubt of it. But I think luck favors the prepared. Right now this team is anything but prepared or placed in a position to win.

I am sure Fitzy will break their hearts. But they'll have a shot at the SB. And that's all you can ask for.

But their coach has substance. Inexperienced, sure. But he's gonna be a good one. Our orders of magnitude talented team is being fanned on the ego of someone who hasn't done anything of significance in 4 years at least.

We make our own misfortune in Buffalo.

C

I respect your viewpoint, Vinaccia, and this is well expressed. However, I do disagree with the point bolded above. If we won in Jacksonville, we would still be 8-8 right now and still pretty much out of the playoff picture except as spoilers. And we would still be dealing with excessive penalties, confused defense which has declined precipitously since last year even before injuries, and poor game management by the coach, and I would still be feeling upset about this and talking badly about Ryan as a consequence.

Nothing against Aaron Williams as a fine player, but I don't understand where you get the "key player...critical leader" role for him? When he was in, he picked up a couple of d*mn bone-headed penalties that a key leader better not do.

I'm sorry you find it terrible, but a lot of what you express seems to be gratitude for Rex Ryan for "choosing us" and our "small market". I guess for me, grateful is as grateful does. This isn't 2009 any more where the Bills were a national joke with a nonegenarian owner, an uncertain future, horrible recent drafts, a bare talent cupboard, a scouting team in need of serious improvement, and a marketing guy as the de-facto GM when coach after coach we approached said "not interested".

Last year, the Bills had a #4 D with a widely-recognized core of elite players last year, a GM who apprenticed for years in a winning program, a rebuilt scouting and pro-personnel organization, and a need to upgrade on offense. We interviewed and could have chosen a number of well-regarded coaches including Bowles and Quinn. The Pegulas decided that the right thing for the Bills was an experiened HC rather than a DC in his 1st HC gig, because they felt if we upgraded on O and kept the D together we could win now. Well hey there, who got sold a pig in a poke?

If Rex was running a disciplined ship where the players knew their roles and were in position before the snap and he had answers for different offensive challenges, but we still lost due to a few key plays, I would say "mmmm, need more experience in the system, injuries, Some Days you Da Windshield Some Days you Da Bug." But that isn't where we're at.

Coming into today's game, the Bills had been penalized 425 more yards than the Jets. That's huge. A few years ago, I started looking at total yardage differentials (total offense - total defense + opponents yards penalized - your own yards penalized) correlated with wins. I didn't get very far ... I'm a stats geek but I do have a job and a life ... this is one for a community college kid in his mom's basement. It's kind of like run differential in baseball -- you can do a very rough "pythagorean record" thing. The correlation isn't that great, but it's there. While I think the talent levels of the Jets and Bills are very similar, the penalties do have an impact. Call it the "measurable effect of coaching," good or bad. For the Bills, bad. For the Jets, good. It matters.

Could it be that the Bills suck more than my 4 year old on a lollipop?

Do you really think the Bills would beat Raiders and Cleveland?

We gotta stop thinking we are better than these terrible franchises ( Jaguars, Raiders, Cleveland, Rams, Lions, etc... ) The 16 years of playoff drought proves that the Bills franchise is the low standard of the NFL.

Lets forget the Browns and Raiders...We had chances with the Jags, Giants and Eagles. Guess what?

Reasonable observation

They beat the Jets! :lol:

PRICELESS

Yes, the Jets may make the playoffs but in large part were helped by their 4th place schedule versus the Bills 2nd place schedule.

Doesn't make a difference, you say?

Well, consider the Jets got to play the Browns and the Raiders while the Bills played the Bengals and the Chiefs. Jets played teams with a combined 10-20 record while the Bills played teams with a 21-8 record, both of which will likely be heading to the playoffs. If you think that doesn't make a difference, you are crazy.

Granted, the Jets did a better job against the 8 easy games from the AFC South/NFC East(helped by an idiotic decision by Tom Coughlin which likely cost his team the game), going 6-2 versus the Bills, who went 4-4, but we also beat the Jets head to head once and I wouldn't be surprised if we beat them again next Sunday.

This great disparity people think there is between the Jets and the Bills simply doesn't exist, and in large part is reflected in their record because of playing a 4th place schedule versus a 2nd place schedule AND the fact they have been one of the healthiest teams in the NFL this year. In fact, in some advanced metrics sites, such as this one:

http://sagarin.com/sports/nflsend.htm

the Jets have played the easiest schedule in the NFL. Notice the Bills and Jets are ranked right below each other even though the Jets have a 3 game advantage in the win column.

So, while the Jets may make the playoffs this year, they were helped greatly by their schedule, and lack of key injuries.

People say all that matters is wins and losses, and that is true, but who you get to play and how many players you have injured sure play a large role in determining your wins and losses as well...

Good news we get to find out next Sunday

Point of order in this absurd thread, the Raiders beat the Jets, which means they were only able to "take advantage of their schedule" once. Which of course might mean our team sucks and was dangerously close to getting swept by the NFC east, get your head out of your asses boys

One more thing for the record, NE played a 1st place schedule and has only defeated one team with a winning record, the Jets, shall I start a delusional thread about how we are better than them as well

Given the Bills injuries, the Jets are definitely better than the Bills are now. It is like watching bad preseason football with this motley crew the Bills are throwing out there. I cannot imagine any Bills corner shutting down Marshall or Decker to say the least for this sorry crew of linebackers having to defend the pass or the run. The Bills strength in running the ball doesn't matchup well against the Jets D line either notwithstanding what they did against them in NY. I don't think next Sunday's game is going to be close. Sorry.

Edited by norton20

Just watched the Jets-Pats replay. Fitz was not all that sharp the entire game. But the Jets D terrorized Brady. We used to have a defense that did that.

The NE OL is in shambles and their WR/RB corps is also injury decimated. The Patriots are much easier to defense than earlier in the season and the Bills D shut them down pretty damned well on MNF.