Jim Leonhard

dave mcbride

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should have kept Searcy then, he wasn't the most athletic safety by he made plays with us, in both Pettine and Schwartz defenses.

They were offering Landry a lot less.......fwiw.......and Graham has actually been a great replacement for Searcy.

Dolores has been utterly invisible in TN this season.

They were offering Landry a lot less.......fwiw.......and Graham has actually been a great replacement for Searcy.

Dolores has been utterly invisible in TN this season.

I like Graham even though he gets beat at times. Searcy would have been a little overpaid but he's a lot better than Duke and/or Meeks.

They should have kept Searcy then, he wasn't the most athletic safety by he made plays with us, in both Pettine and Schwartz defenses.

Searcy was overpaid for what he brings to the table and they didn't know they would lose AW. It's atypical to pay two safeties like that. He actually got a bigger deal than AW, yet was a rotational safety for the Bills. In hindsight - knowing AW got hurt - then yes, would have been nice but would not have looked like a wise move. You need to trust that the safeties you drafted can step up.

The most fascinating comment by Polian (for me at least) is the reliance of Rex's D (and the Pettine derivative) in recent years on this guy: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LeonJi23.htm. This is even though he was probably running a 5.2 40 in his last couple of seasons.

Note that he played for Pettine (running Rex's scheme) in 2013 for the Bills and in 2014 for Cleveland. He had 4 picks for the Bills in 2013 too.

According to Polian, the D couldn't really be run without him because he was the only one who understood it. The Bills defense is obviously not populated by mensas [EDIT: except for Manny Lawson], and without one it appears that it can't work. The one guy who seems to fit the bill is Corey Graham, and surprise surprise: he's one of the only players to publicly buy into the system.

Polian's comments indicate he doesn't have a clue about the Bills. "Aging Oline?" Glenn is on his ROOKIE contract, Miller is a rookie, Henderson and Kouandjio are second year guys. The old guys are Incognito who is possibly the best Bills lineman, Wood, whom many outside Buffalo consider a pretty decent center, and Urbik who is at least a decent backup. Who the heck is Polian talking about? The only thing worse than keeping Rex would be bringing back this dinosaur.

Going forward, and I'm generalizing here, an NFL roster for defense is more likely to have athletically brilliant/mental midgets, than smarts guys who are physically gifted. The offense can be a little different - it's more thought out, and defense is reactionary. With free agency and quick turnover in this league, the Bills are better off playing the odds, and syncing the scheme to their roster. If Buffalo ever wants to pull off winning consistently with a solidified front office and head coach, they need to start winning at some point to gain credibility among the players. Then they can pick players that fit a scheme, but still, adjustments need to be made year to year based on personnel and injuries. Troy Brown (PERIOD) All of that is probably beyond Rex's scope. I just don't understand how anyone can look at Rex and his family's coaching history and "Peg" him as the guy that should be leading this thing. The worst thing that ever happened to the Ryan family was/is becoming the HBC. They aren't cut out for it.

There is no reason for any defense to be that complicated

exactly,

and the defenses regress each yr too

I would love for the Bills to draft Tyler Metakevich from Temple and turn him into a safety.

Hes a 230lb linebacker who has great hands, instincts, and tackles about as good as you can. Hes been running the Temple D for the past few years and just won the Bednarick award for the best defender in the country.

The problem is that he'll never make it as a LB in the nfl since hes undersized. He'll end up like Kiko hurt all the time.

I think he'll be better used as a DB who is asked to frequent the box alot of the time.

He has great instincts as a LB but he is too small, weak, and slow. Saw many times where he got run over, doing drag down tackles because of weakness and diving at guys because he was out of position do to lack of speed. Not sure if he is fast enough to play safety.

Come on....what NFL defense ISN'T dying for a short, slow, white DB of advancing years??!!

white is not the problem , old and slow are

I've been screaming about safety play since September.

Rex's scheme needs good ones, we aint got 'em.

Unless it works 10 out of 11 years.

really didn't work the last few yrs for the Jets either. Maroon abused them with our Bills

I loved watching the Bruce Arians "A Football Life" as he was criticizing coaches who live at the facility. To paraphrase, he said "Why, it's not that complicated in football unless you make it" His point was coach well, place your guys in a place to be successful, and have a balanced life where you don't absolutely ignore your families. He's not out to impress anyone.

Rex on the other hand must have seen his players did not match the scheme, and makes it more complicated than it needs to be. Hence the mess we are in now.

Really wanted Bruce here.

can you imagine how far we would go in the playoffs with him and Palmer.

Honestly it feels like our D players were the exact opposite of what Rex needed. Is it worth the risk of changing our roster over when he makes so many other game day mistakes?

No , we really need to just get rid of Rex and go back to Schwartz

Makes you wonder why they never signed Dewan Landry. At least he knew the defense and played well last year. It isn't like we had good safeties.

Then again no one signed him and lots of teams have crap safeties so there is probably more to it

aaron williams was a bigger loss than some realize?

In a perfect world by week 5 or 6 I think they thought the person to be the QB of the D would have been Aaron Williams going into the season, but we all know how that worked out. Losing him hurt them in many ways.

agreed. but shame on them to be all that dependant if true. big drop off, its seemed

I like Graham even though he gets beat at times. Searcy would have been a little overpaid but he's a lot better than Duke and/or Meeks.

Graham is really a guy i respect this year.

Rambo is coming around too. Much to my surprise : )

exactly,

and the defenses regress each yr too

He has great instincts as a LB but he is too small, weak, and slow. Saw many times where he got run over, doing drag down tackles because of weakness and diving at guys because he was out of position do to lack of speed. Not sure if he is fast enough to play safety.

white is not the problem , old and slow are

really didn't work the last few yrs for the Jets either. Maroon abused them with our Bills

Really wanted Bruce here.

can you imagine how far we would go in the playoffs with him and Palmer.

No , we really need to just get rid of Rex and go back to Schwartz

always greener on the other side of the septic tank.

lets see what plays out.

as you know there will be Coaching and players adjustments. Trial the first year, second year you make the corrections. third year is for results.

It is a reasonable and common theory in the NFL for a whole new coaching staff.

Graham is really a guy i respect this year.

Rambo is coming around too. Much to my surprise : )

always greener on the other side of the septic tank.

lets see what plays out.

as you know there will be Coaching and players adjustments. Trial the first year, second year you make the corrections. third year is for results.

It is a reasonable and common theory in the NFL for a whole new coaching staff.

From the comments Rex and the players this week it is clear he is not a leader and we are just wasting our time. I was willing to give him time but not now.

And the grass is greener, no question about that and I wanted him before he went to the Cardinals. What he did with Luck and Roethlisberger made him a no brainer for a coach.

If were stuck with Rex for 4 years I wonder what the verbiage in the contract looks like. Give him some reduced role so bad that he ends up quitting? buy out the 4years? If he is fired by us can he work anywhere over the next 4 years?

Edited by billsfanmd07

This.

And double this, because Rex pontificated pre-hire that he would not force a scheme on the players.

I might give him some slack if he wasn't such a blowhard. My philosophy: speak softly and carry a big stick.

There is if you're Rex, who wants you to be impressed with his brilliance.

This reminds me of Buc's & Raiders HC Jon Gruden and his 2-foot thick offensive playbook that he wanted every QB on his team to learn every play of it. So at some point in a game, he can call some obscure play that nobody else on either side of the ball knows what it does. Probably why Gruden only had success with 9-year vet QB Brad Johnson, and 14-year vet QB Rich Gannon.

Anyway, this really explains a lot about why the Bills players are having so much trouble learning Rex's overly complex scheme. It still doesn't explain all the other faults with the team this year.

This.

And double this, because Rex pontificated pre-hire that he would not force a scheme on the players.

he did say something to that affect. but not exactly that : )

From the comments Rex and the players this week it is clear he is not a leader and we are just wasting our time. I was willing to give him time but not now.

And the grass is greener, no question about that and I wanted him before he went to the Cardinals. What he did with Luck and Roethlisberger made him a no brainer for a coach.

No it isn't. nothing is clear about wtf happened this year. We are all making assumptions and some of us have been influenced by the divisive media.