Something wicked this way comes...

Lenigmusx

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Schwartz as HC would be another predictable failure. As DC, sure, why not?

Not sure why that's an automatic assumption. He took a team that was complete trash in the Lions and took them to the playoffs. Our team really seemed to like him and played hard for him. They carried him off the field in Detroit. Seems his attitude fit well with our guys. But of course we couldn't just promote success, so he was a non-consideration.

Why do you think that? He left on his own for good reason in that he wasn't going to be a puppet. I have no problem with that.

Of course he wouldn't come back now to be DC under Rex for the very same reasons. But why do you think he would say no if he was offered the HC job? I would bet money he would take it. Lot's of money. I don't want him personally but $ talks.

I also think Wade Phillips would come back here to be a HC. Again $ talks.

It's a strange and limited profession to be in you know. Ever think a guy like Billy Martin would do what he did?

He left because he was pissed off the bills didn't hire him as a head coach. The bills pretty much gave him an F you to him by hiring a defensive minded coach over him, so what possibly makes you think he would want to return to the team who passed on him?

http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2015/01/rex_ryan_explains_firing_jim_schwartz_says_buffalo_bills_defense_will_rank_no_1.html

I had to go back and find this article. Read it a check all the buzz-words and bravado. Yet in the end we are a shell...in fact less than a shell of what we were last year defensively. I remember thinking OK Rex is fine if and only if he retains Schwartz. I also think one of the other large losses is Pepper Johnson as Defensive line coach. These boys are made to rush the passer and they know how to stop the run as well. This year is the biggest waste of talent in franchise history. Wade Phillips made a number one defense out of less talent in 1999. Fire Rex and bring in Schwartz and we will make the playoffs next year. I will guarantee it with my Bravado. Get er done Whaley.

The loss of Pepper Johnson hurt a lot and isn't talked about much.

I think Cleveland's firing of Chud after 1 year, which was followed by an embarrassing coaching search in which they couldn't get anyone interested in the position, offers an object lesson in why Rex is going nowhere this year.

The focus this year will be on making Rex work, not on jettisoning him.

A novel concept. The mob forgets this reasoning every so often.

I think Cleveland's firing of Chud after 1 year, which was followed by an embarrassing coaching search in which they couldn't get anyone interested in the position, offers an object lesson in why Rex is going nowhere this year.

The focus this year will be on making Rex work, not on jettisoning him.

Yeah that is one way to go into the offseason. I am usually not that fan that wants to run a coach out after one year but Ryan's performance it just so fireable in so many ways. Ryan will get fired in the near future. If it is not this year it will be in year 2 or possibly year 3. Why waste two more years with this loudmouth buffoon.

Edited by Gordio

I asked this in another chain and got no substantial answer.

Exactly what were the reasons given by those in the know of why Schwartz failed as head coach? I did not follow his old team.

If he showed an ability to adapt his schemes to the strengths of the players available rather than trying to rebuild the team or put square pegs in round holes, was able to instill discipline in his players, provided real leadership, had an ability to adapt his schemes rapidly during games according to the actions of his opponents, and was not an egomaniac who put himself above the needs and success of the team, I would say he would be a major step up from Rex.

Yes, he has made it clear he would not come back as a DC, but he WANTS another chance as HC, wherever.

Ironically, one of the issues as I recall was that he wasn't able to keep guys like Suh and Titus Young under his mind control.

I'm not sure why people keep thinking everything will be better if the Bills bring him in as a Head coach when he was only a successful co-ordinator. Bring him back under an upgraded head coach to run the defence, sure, but as a Head coach who would have his hands in the defence with a puppet co-ordinator? no thanks. His run as Bills defensive co-ordinator was great, but he didn't do anything to make it believable that he would be any more successful as a Head coach then he was in Detroit.

Schwartz as HC would be another predictable failure. As DC, sure, why not?

Agreed. I'm not so sure why people have such a hard-on for Jim Schwartz as HC. His last two years as Tennessee's DC were excellent (5th & 7th overall) which led to his hiring as Detroit's HC...where he turned in a miserable 29-51 record. His defenses while the Lions' HC? 2009 (32nd overall), 2010 (21st), 2011 (23rd), 2012 (13th), & 2013 (16th). In his lone year as the Bills' DC, his defense was 4th. So as a DC, sure. As a HC, no way. His teams were undisciplined and suffered from poor clock management. And, as a somebody else mentioned, he was a bit of an asshat as the head honcho. Sound familiar? Wade & Greggo can coach D, too, but I don't want them running my team. Same with Schwartz and same with Rex. Unfortunately, we're stuck with Rex...or so it would seem. May the Schwartz not be with you, Buffalo.

He left because he was pissed off the bills didn't hire him as a head coach. The bills pretty much gave him an F you to him by hiring a defensive minded coach over him, so what possibly makes you think he would want to return to the team who passed on him?

Well reading into what I wrote, $$$ Obviously. And only for HC that he was overlooked for.

I don't want him as HC but I don't remember though did we interview him for HC?

Edited by beerme1

I asked this in another chain and got no substantial answer.

Exactly what were the reasons given by those in the know of why Schwartz failed as head coach? I did not follow his old team.

If he showed an ability to adapt his schemes to the strengths of the players available rather than trying to rebuild the team or put square pegs in round holes, was able to instill discipline in his players, provided real leadership, had an ability to adapt his schemes rapidly during games according to the actions of his opponents, and was not an egomaniac who put himself above the needs and success of the team, I would say he would be a major step up from Rex.

Yes, he has made it clear he would not come back as a DC, but he WANTS another chance as HC, wherever.

Schwartz was fired from Detroit because he had one of the worst records in NFL history as a HC with 5 plus years of experience. He had so-so defenses that usually ranked in the bottom half of the league. His teams were undisiplined and consistently ranked in the bottom of the league in penalties against and his turnover ratios were horrible. He was also a bit of a hot head himself.

Below is an article written just after he was fired in Detroit.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/110468/jim-schwartz-and-his-lions-never-grew-up

Edited by sfladave

We all bought the salesmanship of Rex with we will make playoffs wwe will be #1 defense etc. well we got a lemon for sure can we return the turd fr a refund? Pegula should have written something into Rex contract that required these statements to come true.

Who's we white man? Many of us warned you all about Rex and his mouth. He never lives up to his own expectations. To borrow a line from Dirty Harry "A man has got to know his limitations", and Rex has no concept of how inept he is. When I hear he is a great "players coach" I cringe. We don't need another player's coach, we need a leader and a real coach. Make them sweat, make them run and if they don't play well, you bench them. No more coddling the poor multimillion dollar player, you kick their ass like General Patton did. He won, Belicheat wins because they don't fear the owners or the players.

The loss of Pepper Johnson hurt a lot and isn't talked about much.

What is puzzling to me is we had heard since week 2 that communication has been an issue. Not that players don't deserve time off but a few times during the season they had around or more than a week off. Fast forward to week 15 we have players still saying communication is bad. That is inexcusable for a head coach not correct this. Edited by Ex players coach