NFL should change Draft order rules.

Currently, the draft works in reverse order of record, which is fair in a sense. But a fairer order would be to have the draft work in reverse order of eliminated from the playoffs.

This would help with two issues. First it would minimize the "suck for Luck" tanking advantage. Teams like the Bills would be able to play the rest of the season without feeling like any victory is tainted because its hurts draft order.

Secondly it would help teams like the Bills/Jets/Dolphins who are in a division with a dominant team "catch up" to that team. This is a serious suggestion, I think it would actually be a fairer system.

Valid points. But the Buffalo Bills' problems over the years is bad head coaches.

:(

Another benefit of the rules change would be that teams know fairly precisely where they are in the draft as soon as they are eliminated (still would need some tiebreaker for teams eliminated the same week). Since the longest part of the Bills fans season is the time between elimination and the draft, I would like to know as soon as possible our draft position.

So the worst team picks 20th? I realize it's frustrating to be stuck at 8-8 forever, but I'm not a fan of this idea. There's also zero evidence of any team tanking in recent NFL history; including the 2011 Colts who won 2 of their last 3 games.

The Bills problem is an endless string of incompetence in the FO and coaching staff, not draft order.

So the worst team picks 20th? I realize it's frustrating to be stuck at 8-8 forever, but I'm not a fan of this idea. There's also zero evidence of any team tanking in recent NFL history; including the 2011 Colts who won 2 of their last 3 games.

The Bills problem is an endless string of incompetence in the FO and coaching staff, not draft order.

I think it is mathematically impossible for the team with the worst record to be eliminated 20th. But since every team plays a different schedule, you can't assume that the team with the worst record is the worst team. My definition of the worst team is the first one eliminated from the playoffs. Might as well let them start working on their draft plans for the #1 over all pick.

Edited by PlayoffsPlease

I think it is mathematically impossible for the team with the worst record to be eliminated 20th. But since every team plays a different schedule, you can't assume that the team with the worst record is the worst team. My definition of the worst team is the first one eliminated from the playoffs. Might as well let them start working on their draft plans for the #1 over all pick.

I may have misunderstood your proposal. The #1 pick goes to the first team eliminated from the playoffs and the 20th pick to the last team eliminated from the playoffs, presumably in week 17? If that's it, it's not that radical a change and actually does make sense.

p.s. but the Bills' problem is still a bad FO and bad coaches.

Edited by KD in CT

I may have misunderstood your proposal. The #1 pick goes to the first team eliminated from the playoffs and the 20th pick to the last team eliminated from the playoffs, presumably in week 17? If that's it, it's not that radical a change and actually does make sense.

p.s. but the Bills' problem is still a bad FO and bad coaches.

That is what I am proposing.

Currently, the draft works in reverse order of record, which is fair in a sense. But a fairer order would be to have the draft work in reverse order of eliminated from the playoffs.

This would help with two issues. First it would minimize the "suck for Luck" tanking advantage. Teams like the Bills would be able to play the rest of the season without feeling like any victory is tainted because its hurts draft order.

Secondly it would help teams like the Bills/Jets/Dolphins who are in a division with a dominant team "catch up" to that team. This is a serious suggestion, I think it would actually be a fairer system.

I have suggested this same thing in the NHL for a while now.

The one big argument against it is that teams that find themselves at the bottom of the standing might be stuck there without having some high end talent out of the draft to help them improve their fortunes.

If the NFL was serious, put the non playoff teams in a lottery. The fewer the wins the greater the number combination you get. However, no one gets better than a 15% chance of winning and no non playoff teams gets less than 1%.

Draw 5 numbers that's picks 1-5 and the rest are based on your record.

Round 2 thru 7 are based on the record.

problem solved.

If the NFL was serious, put the non playoff teams in a lottery. The fewer the wins the greater the number combination you get. However, no one gets better than a 15% chance of winning and no non playoff teams gets less than 1%.

Draw 5 numbers that's picks 1-5 and the rest are based on your record.

Round 2 thru 7 are based on the record.

problem solved.

Yeah, then the NFL could rig the lottery like the NBA does.

One idea I've thought of is maybe the order should go by a cumulative record of say the past 3 or 4 years. Whoever has the worst record combined dating back to a particular season should get the first pick. That way the team who really truly needs a #1 pick is getting it. This may not necessarily eliminate tanking at the end of a season but IMO it's more fair. Still irks me that while some of us have been searching for a franchise QB for over a decade Indy got to draft Luck after the 1 year Peyton went down. Just doesn't seem like a good system to me.

This is a great idea and has a lot of merit. Much better than the lottery system other leagues use.

. 15 weeks ago everyone thought the team was pretty talented

One idea I've thought of is maybe the order should go by a cumulative record of say the past 3 or 4 years. Whoever has the worst record combined dating back to a particular season should get the first pick. That way the team who really truly needs a #1 pick is getting it. This may not necessarily eliminate tanking at the end of a season but IMO it's more fair. Still irks me that while some of us have been searching for a franchise QB for over a decade Indy got to draft Luck after the 1 year Peyton went down. Just doesn't seem like a good system to me.

This is what I have been saying for the NHL to do and it would work in the NFL too. Make it a 3-year rolling average, and a team cannot select 1st overall for 2 consecutive years (I can be convinced to make it that they cant for 2 years after choosing 1st)... I cant see a team committing to tank for such a sustained period of time, especially if #1s were limited and they would be identifying a target who is really young and have no idea who declares as a junior and whatnot (3 years down the road). Plus you wouldnt have the Colts' situation that was... lets face it, a travesty. 12 years of Peyton Manning, one bad year... 15 years of Luck.