NFL should change Draft order rules.

One idea I've thought of is maybe the order should go by a cumulative record of say the past 3 or 4 years. Whoever has the worst record combined dating back to a particular season should get the first pick. That way the team who really truly needs a #1 pick is getting it. This may not necessarily eliminate tanking at the end of a season but IMO it's more fair. Still irks me that while some of us have been searching for a franchise QB for over a decade Indy got to draft Luck after the 1 year Peyton went down. Just doesn't seem like a good system to me.

So because it's happened once in recent memory, the entire draft should change?

The Bills have passed on QBs that could have been their likely franchise guy. If your FO goes years without even trying to draft a starting QB, it's on your organization. If you don't draft well, why should the league take pity on you?

The lottery system won't fix the problem... the Penguins walked into Sidney Crosby after drafting in the top 5 for three consecutive years (including 2nd and 1st), then drafted 2nd the very next year.

I like the rule that you can't draft first in back-to-back years, or maybe even for 2 years after drafting first. Or even apply that rule to the top two or three picks (and yes, I know that would have cost the Sabres Eichel, but it also would have prevented the tank). Not only does that help prevent tanking, but it also doesn't reward teams for drafting a bust. I think the rule has to be combined with a lottery in some way to totally prevent tanking, though.

The lottery system won't fix the problem... the Penguins walked into Sidney Crosby after drafting in the top 5 for three consecutive years (including 2nd and 1st), then drafted 2nd the very next year.

I like the rule that you can't draft first in back-to-back years, or maybe even for 2 years after drafting first. Or even apply that rule to the top two or three picks (and yes, I know that would have cost the Sabres Eichel, but it also would have prevented the tank). Not only does that help prevent tanking, but it also doesn't reward teams for drafting a bust. I think the rule has to be combined with a lottery in some way to totally prevent tanking, though.

Do you really think the Browns have been tanking for draft picks? who is tanking in the NFL? Where is this "problem" that needs to be fixed?

. 15 weeks ago everyone thought the team was pretty talented

True. It was more talented than past rosters. The problem is other teams have ascended faster. The Bills are a broken record of bad decisions. I do wonder if Schwartz with Roman as OC would have been a far superior team. Ryan's huge step back with th D is mystifying and sad.

This is what I have been saying for the NHL to do and it would work in the NFL too. Make it a 3-year rolling average, and a team cannot select 1st overall for 2 consecutive years (I can be convinced to make it that they cant for 2 years after choosing 1st)... I cant see a team committing to tank for such a sustained period of time, especially if #1s were limited and they would be identifying a target who is really young and have no idea who declares as a junior and whatnot (3 years down the road). Plus you wouldnt have the Colts' situation that was... lets face it, a travesty. 12 years of Peyton Manning, one bad year... 15 years of Luck.

This is the best idea yet. Suck for Lucks would have had like the 15th pick or something. Going from best to worst in one year does not happen by fluke. Surely they could have picked up a better QB than Curtis Painter. He's the best Bill Polian or whoever could find?

why not just go based on how long a team hasn't been in the playoffs? just keep giving those teams the top picks until they make the playoffs

I like this idea too.

Do you really think the Browns have been tanking for draft picks? who is tanking in the NFL? Where is this "problem" that needs to be fixed?

In my opinion the team with the worst season is the first team eliminated from the playoffs. Not the team that finishes with the worst overall record. Winning games after being eliminated is kind of like garbage time stats, meaningless. But from the fans perspective wins after elimination hurt draft position and that taints the wins. Under my system, I would be able to root for the Bills to win unequivocally the last two games, knowing that they have no impact on draft position.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently, the draft works in reverse order of record, which is fair in a sense. But a fairer order would be to have the draft work in reverse order of eliminated from the playoffs.

This would help with two issues. First it would minimize the "suck for Luck" tanking advantage. Teams like the Bills would be able to play the rest of the season without feeling like any victory is tainted because its hurts draft order.

Secondly it would help teams like the Bills/Jets/Dolphins who are in a division with a dominant team "catch up" to that team. This is a serious suggestion, I think it would actually be a fairer system.

Interesting

Currently, the draft works in reverse order of record, which is fair in a sense. But a fairer order would be to have the draft work in reverse order of eliminated from the playoffs.

This would help with two issues. First it would minimize the "suck for Luck" tanking advantage. Teams like the Bills would be able to play the rest of the season without feeling like any victory is tainted because its hurts draft order.

Secondly it would help teams like the Bills/Jets/Dolphins who are in a division with a dominant team "catch up" to that team. This is a serious suggestion, I think it would actually be a fairer system.

the rule should be we get the top pick in the draft every yr till we make the playoffs.

One thing that definitely sucks is the strength of schedule aspect. I just looked at the projected order and both the Eagles and Giants pick ahead of us when they both beat us. There should be some head to head aspect too for teams finishing with the same record.

:thumbsup: