Did this year just hurt more than the last 16?

Nothing felt worse than that 2005 team that lost to the Steelers JV team. My dad, sister, and I drove 11 hours to watch that debacle in person and I was sitting in a Steelers section. I have never been more miserable doing something that was supposed to be fun.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason I really think it hurts is because the team peaked last year. Instead of building on the positives from last year the biggest strength now needs to be rebuilt. now 2-3 years from being a playoff caliber team

Yep! Progress stopped. Edited by Manther

The Bills schedule was as favorable as it could get in playing the weakest division in both conferences. Add that the Dolphins fired their coach in September and the Jets nominal starting QB got his jaw broken in pre-season. And yet they look like they will still miss the playoffs.

Does it hurt? It should. Maybe it's more uncomfortably numb.

Was there any reason to buy into the hype when the key issues with the team weren't addressed like O line and QB? What was very disappointing to me is the step back the defense took. I am interested to see if, as I've read on this board, Ryan doesn't have the right players to run his style of defense. I just think a good coach takes the players he has and comes up with something that those players can execute.

I mean c'mon you're the first post - answer the question and try to sound as if you mildly know what's going on.

I was optimistic when Marrone left because of the good defense and then the spending on offense. But the Rex Ryan hire really disappointed me and dampened my expectations, for the reasons that have played out. I was surprised that other Bills fans bought into him so enthusiastically (I wanted Lovie Smith or Jim Schwartz). Hope triumphing over experience?

The lack of a top QB and OL have been constants since Kelly retired, but I would argue that a more important element in the Bills persistent mediocrity has been coaching. We've had just one head coach in this era worthy of the title, and that was Chan Gailey, who was given a weak hand, did a lot with it and fired too soon by a skittish front office. The rest have been shite. We might have the worst of all in Ryan, for the reasons posters have been repeating here. He brings nothing valuable to the table and has cost the team dearly. Since "he can't be fired!" we will have lost yet ANOTHER five years waiting for him to get done failing and giving yet another coach enough time to prove himself.

And so it goes around and around and around. We'll be having a similar conversation in 2020.

Yep, at that point the Bills will have the longest playoff drought in NFL history and will have missed the playoffs altogether in the 2000s and 2010s :thumbdown: . Hopefully, the next coach after Rex will be the guy to bring the franchise back to prominence or that you are wrong about that assessment.

Edited by K-Apps

It is just a !@#$ing game. They all hurt but, life goes on.

I've gotten to that point too, Mead. I don't know if it's good or bad that I don't let a loss impact me. Maybe I'm not as big of a fan? I think I still am, but know I let it bother me for 15 minutes then move on.

I wasn't affected nearly as much this year. The terrible officiating (LEAGUE-WIDE) has soured me on the NFL.The games have no flow because every other play an official (who thinks the fans paid to see HIM) blows a whistle for something ridiculous. I'm a big fan of letting players play and that just hasn't happened much this year.

Love me some Bills, but I'm ready for Spring Training.

Yes, it hurts a little more with each year tacked on. But, I haven't quite given up hope on this year yet. So it will be delayed a week or 2. Ha.

Probably 3. Much like our games, with our luck the season will come down to one last game and Bills fans will get our hopes crushed in the last minute. :doh: Apologies for the negativity, but that's just the way things have gone for... well, a long time.

Edited by Felonious Monk

Was there any reason to buy into the hype when the key issues with the team weren't addressed like O line and QB? What was very disappointing to me is the step back the defense took. I am interested to see if, as I've read on this board, Ryan doesn't have the right players to run his style of defense. I just think a good coach takes the players he has and comes up with something that those players can execute.

Great point! Why rework a top ranked defense; compare last years statistics to this year. Why would you make radical changes?

I mean c'mon you're the first post - answer the question and try to sound as if you mildly know what's going on.

??? Thought it was a valid point and "I kind of know what's going on."

Interesting thread. I have read it all and given it some thought.

I was negative about Rex before he became Bill. Then i was on board. Then, i got excited about the season. after the 1st patriots game it was obvious that this was not an anomaly . this year would suck.

so i was bummed hard.

since then i just roll with it.

easier to see the good stuff and hope Everyone at One Bills Drive gets their act together for next season starting Sunday.

season has been a major bait and switch.

If Rex was going to pull this rebuild crap, He should have laid low about playoffs.

he sold tickets though didn't he?

And it is and entertainment business isn't it folks?

I suggest he finish strong to wipe the nasty stink off the field

the injuries prevented this team from having a chance to compete- then new coaches, first year starting qb I thought they might- might fight for a wildcard...they kinda still are. Next year (ya i know) they have a shot to be pretty good

Injuries happen to virtually every team every year. Good teams figure a way to work their way through them. Bad teams use them as an excuse every year.

Great point! Why rework a top ranked defense; compare last years statistics to this year. Why would you make radical changes?

??? Thought it was a valid point and "I kind of know what's going on."

So you don't think the OL and QB were addressed? Please explain - since you know what's going on.

I knew the second that they blew the Jags game that they would let us down again. They would flirt with the playoffs but when it mattered (KC and Philly) they screwed us again. I always think they cant get me anymore angrier or disgusted than they have in the past or that I am somehow numb to the abusive relationship I am in with the Bills but games like the KC make me want to break something in my rage. Its just BS what this organization has put it fans through!