So what needs to change for us to dominate as a 3-4 Defense?

Since it seems the coach may not be going anywhere now we have to retool the defense to fit the geniuses scheme. Instead of realizing his talent like the evil master does our genius is gonna force a 3-4 down our throats and the players as well. The problem I see is that I see a major problem with current lineup for a 3-4.

Kyle is too old and injury prone so unlikely he can be the dominating DE and is not a NT.

Darius does not seem to be the NT type and I really am not sure he can be a DE doesn't seem fast enough. ( lots of dollars for a misfit for the coaches scheme )

Harrington is a decent sub at DE

Hughes could be a OLB

Mario likely gone he is a better 4-3 DE than a 3-4 OLB.

Lawson may be a decent OLB but I just never see enough from him.

Brown or Bradham might be ok for one ILB but neither is really the ILB types I think ya need for a 3-4

So we would likely need NT, 1-2 DE, 2 ILB and maybe an OLB.

Seems like we would need to invest heavily in FA and draft to get what we need just on defense alone.

The real downer is that swapping out parts to convert from a highly functioning wide-9 defense to a 3-4 system distracts attention and resources from the offense. Between Gailey trying to coach up journeyman QBs and Marone's trying to build an OL out of chicken salad, the Bills strategy on offense could probably use a little more attention.

It neuters what was easily a top 5 DL just 1 year ago. Typically in a 3/4 scheme you want your 3 down linemen eating up the 5 oline blocks. I think Mario/Dareus could serve fine as the DEs in this scheme, but it seems like a waste of salary/their talents to simply use them as pluggers. Arizona runs a 3/4 and I see Mario/Dareus as very similar to what Calais Campbell / Darnell Dockett did for them for years. We need to get a Wilfork type NT, but that could be found in the middle rounds of the draft.

Hughes / Kyle are the bigger concerns. Hughes was in a 3/4 in Indy and really struggled. He's surely learned since then and could potentially be similar to Suggs from Rex's Ravens defenses. Kyle is a tough fit, he's not long enough/big enough to be a typical 3/4 DL.

As I see it, a plugger NT, a 2nd MLB (Bradham may be fine filling this role but may not be able to hold up in the run game) and a versatile big OLB/rush end opposite Hughes (Mario doesn't have the cover ability) are the biggest needs to fill for this transition. We'd likely need to use our 1st to get the other OLB opposite Hughes as guys like that don't last in the draft, but the other 2 spots could be found later.

We need a LDE who cares and can get after the QB. Muhammed Wilkerson is who you spend your cash on. The Jets have so much invested in their d-line and in Revis that he might be available.

Cutting ties with Kyle / Mario and using their cap savings to sign Wilkerson would be a wise move to make this transition.

What we need to do? Hire a 4-3 def coach

BINGO!!!!!!

The defense is built perfectly for a 4-3 coach (like Schwartz), not a 3-4 coach (like Ryan/Thurman). Dayum shame Rex isn't the kind of defensive 'Guru' that can adapt his style to fit what he already has - a championship caliber 4-3 defense he has no clue how to use effectively.

He will be, but we can't afford him.

He is going to get paid a ton of money. Very close to what Dareus got if not more. We cant afford both of them.

And whats the point? We can get any joe schmo FA defensive line to play Rex's gap control bull **** scheme.

And that won't happen either.

You think Rex's gigantic ego is going to let someone else come in here and run a different defense? No way.

It's easy to criticize Rex now, but it's worth pointing out that going back to his Ravens days, his defenses finished in the top 10 for yardage allowed for something like 8 years in a row.

I do agree that we may not be able to afford Wilkerson. He's going to get paid a lot.

Edited by dave mcbride

He will be, but we can't afford him.

He is going to get paid a ton of money. Very close to what Dareus got if not more. We cant afford both of them.

And whats the point? We can get any joe schmo FA defensive line to play Rex's gap control bull **** scheme.

And that won't happen either.

You think Rex's gigantic ego is going to let someone else come in here and run a different defense? No way.

If terry says hire the guy rex will hire the guy.

It's easy to criticize Rex now, but it's worth pointing out that going back to his Ravens days, his defenses finished in the top 10 for yardage allowed for something like 8 years in a row.

I do agree that we may not be able to afford Wilkerson. He's going to get paid a lot.

Which begs the question - is he a superlative DC who is out of his depth as a HC ? I am not sure if his bone-headedness has made this D regress or the possibility that he is wants to meddle in the D but cannot give it enough attention considering he is also the HC.

I think it is the former. His inattention to details, poor game management and player indiscipline will hold him back as a HC. No matter how much the D is restructured, RR's basic issues will limit how far this team can go.

It neuters what was easily a top 5 DL just 1 year ago. Typically in a 3/4 scheme you want your 3 down linemen eating up the 5 oline blocks. I think Mario/Dareus could serve fine as the DEs in this scheme, but it seems like a waste of salary/their talents to simply use them as pluggers.

On paper perhaps. Williams has played in different systems and has a body of work that suggests he excels in some systems and is simply average in others. And I wholeheartedly agree that using a huge chunk of cap for average isn't good management.

We need a LDE who cares and can get after the QB. Muhammed Wilkerson is who you spend your cash on. The Jets have so much invested in their d-line and in Revis that he might be available.

See I agree with this....I think that one player makes a big difference....Mario does not want to play in this defense.

We also need linebackers and a safety.....but we can get those in the draft

On paper perhaps. Williams has played in different systems and has a body of work that suggests he excels in some systems and is simply average in others. And I wholeheartedly agree that using a huge chunk of cap for average isn't good management.

But that seems to be the situation for more than just Mario. The only group that is excelling are the DBs. Both DL and LB are terrible

It's very disheartening that a defense, which DW built so well to the 4-3 scheme is going to go to waste in Rex's scheme. The best players on the defense (who once were 94,99,95,53,53) are now 30,28,24,55. Will DW now have to build around that secondary and just get roles players in the other positions to replace them? ORRR can we make it work? Now I am not really knowledgeable in defenses, but if he were to bring in a true 4-3 DC (which he wont), is there no way to have the base D set as a 4-3, with mixing in Rex's exotic looks/blitzes?

Edited by JP's Voice

What we need to do? Hire a 4-3 def coach

Ding ding ding.....We have a winner here!

I'll even go one step further and say that it should not be one of Rex's former defensive staff stooges that he hasn't already hired.

BigPappy

Edited by BigPappy