The Offseason I Want To See

H2o

It's safe to say Rex is here to stay after just getting a 5 year deal. So, with that being said, this is what I hope for.

1. Fire Thurman and hire Pettine. Rex would be hands off with Pettine and we know he is a capable DC as he has done a good job with this team before.

2. In house - Restructure Mario and if that doesn't work then trade or release him. Restructure the oft injured Kyle Williams, trade, or release him. Bye Bradham(let him walk), bye McKelvin, adios Duke. Clear as much cap as you can.

3. FA - I want us to clear the cap room to go after a few people. Two main guys I want us to push hard for is Wilkerson and Boone. Could care less how much $ we've spent on the D-Line because it hasn't worked. I want Wilkerson in a Bills uni wreaking havoc. Could care less if we just drafted Miller. Boone is a top tier RG who would go a loooong way to suring up the OL. Re-signing Incognito and Gilmore is a must. Re-sign Glenn and Hogan if possible. Bring back Brandon Spikes.

4. Draft: 1st, Laquon Treadwell/WR/Ole Miss because we need another good WR to help open up Watkins and Clay. 2nd, Sheldon Day/3-4DE/Notre Dame because he is just flat out disruptive. 3rd, Jason Spriggs/OT/Indiana because he would make for an excellent RT and he is the type of player Roman looks for on the OL. 4th, Cassanova McKinzy/ILB/Auburn because he is exactly the type of LB we need in the middle. 5th, Noah Spence/OLB/Eastern Kentucky transferred from Ohio St. because off field issues and has crushed his weaker opponents, but he was looking like a top tier talent when playing against Big 10 comp. 6th, Deon Bush/S/Miami is one of the more physical Safeties Rex is looking for. 7th, Cody Waldrop/OG-C/South Carolina would be an interior swing man for the OL.

These moves on the staff, in FA, and yhe draft would have us serious contenders for the immediate future. An OL of Glenn, Incognito, Wood, Boone, and Spriggs would be the best we've seen since the 90's. A front 7 of Wilkerson, Dareus, Day, Hughes, McKinzy/Spikes/Brown(2 of the 3), and Spence on defense to go with Gilmore, Darby, Rambo, and AW(hopefully). The streak would be over.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's safe to say Rex is here to stay after just getting a 5 year deal. So, with that being said, this is what I hope for.

1. Fire Thurman and hire Pettine. Rex would be hands off with Pettine and we know he is a capable DC as he has done a good job with this team before.

2. In house - Restructure Mario and if that doesn't work then trade or release him. Restructure the oft injured Kyle Williams, trade, or release him. Bye Bradham(let him walk), bye McKelvin, adios Duke. Clear as much cap as you can.

3. FA - I want us to clear the cap room to go after a few people. Two main guys I want us to push hard for is Wilkerson and Boone. Could care less how much $ we've spent on the D-Line because it hasn't worked. I want Wilkerson in a Bills uni wreaking havoc. Could care less if we just drafted Miller. Boone is a top tier RG who would go a loooong way to suring up the OL. Re-signing Incognito and Gilmore is a must. Re-sign Glenn and Hogan if possible. Bring back Brandon Spikes.

4. Draft: 1st, Laquon Treadwell/WR/Ole Miss because we need another good WR to help open up Watkins and Clay. 2nd, Sheldon Day/3-4DE/Notre Dame because he is just flat out disruptive. 3rd, Jason Spriggs/OT/Indiana because he would make for an excellent RT and he is the type of player Roman looks for on the OL. 4th, Cassanova McKinzy/ILB/Auburn because he is exactly the type of LB we need in the middle. 5th, Noah Spence/OLB/Eastern Kentucky transferred from Ohio St. because off field issues and has crushed his weaker opponents, but he was looking like a top tier talent when playing against Big 10 comp. 6th, Deon Bush/S/Miami is one of the more physical Safeties Rex is looking for. 7th, Cody Waldrop/OG-C/South Carolina would be an interior swing man for the OL.

These moves on the staff, in FA, and yhe draft would have us serious contenders for the immediate future. An OL of Glenn, Incognito, Wood, Boone, and Spriggs would be the best we've seen since the 90's. A front 7 of Wilkerson, Dareus, Day, Hughes, McKinzy/Spikes/Brown(2 of the 3), and Spence on defense to go with Gilmore, Darby, Rambo, and AW(hopefully). The streak would be over.

Pettine left Rex and the NYJ staff to come to Buffalo in order to escape the very large shadow of one Rex Ryan. What makes you think he'll be so eager to put himself back in the same position again?

Pettine left Rex and the NYJ staff to come to Buffalo in order to escape the very large shadow of one Rex Ryan. What makes you think he'll be so eager to put himself back in the same position again?

Familiarity with the talent on our team and the possibility for success

pettines d was ranked 20th and 28th against the run....ya bring him in here

What I'd like to see:

1. No changes to coaching staff, even in spite of the problems. Let's try going one off-season with continuity. I'm frustrated with the big drop in production too but the defense has had a new coordinator every season for the past four years (Wanny, Pettine, Schwartz, Thurman).

2. Trade or restructure Mario and Kyle.

3. Fully implement the 3-4 that Rex clearly wants to do, so LB / S / NT need to be addressed through combination of FA and the Draft, depending whose available. Dareus is too good to be a space-eating-NT so he moves to the edge in Rex's 3-4.

4. Re-sign Glenn/Incognito

5. OL should be addressed in FA and Draft — give up on Kujo and admit Henderson should be depth, so RT is the big need here, ideally a FA acquisition. Miller/Urbik are serviceable at RG if no better option presents itself. Draft best available OL early, even if it's a LT or C, because we need depth across the board here.

6. Need a veteran WR2. It's a shame neither Mike Williams nor Percy worked out but its the right idea. Brandon Marshall was, imo, clearly the big miss of the offseason this year and very well could've changed several outcomes this year if he were on the team. Some of those 2 minute drills might've ended differently if there were more threats than just Sammy and sometimes Clay. Hogan is a fine #3. I don't think Robert Woods should be on the team next year.

7. With no scheme changes and a lot of returning personnel next year, OTAs and Camp need to focus on fundamentals, to an annoyingly obsessive degree, with a huge emphasis on avoiding any techniques that will draw a flag.

I am glad someone recognizes the dire need for another dynamic WR, but you are ignoring what has to be the number 1 priority--adding a QB to develop behind (or in front of) TT. There is only one viable QB on this roster and that is unacceptable, especially wth TT's style of play.

I strongly agree with grabbing Treadwell. I've watched him the last three years and he's only gotten better. Even after that gruesome injury which goes to show how hard a worker he is. He's not the best athlete but he's got great hands and can go up for jump balls. Reminds me of a slightly shorter Brandon Marshall honestly. But pairing him and Sammy together would be amazing. Plus he should be in the range we are drafting

Pettine's defense was historically bad against the run. He is not the answer.

I don't care if people think I'm crazy but I would not let McKelvin go.

Kyle, Bradham, Glenn, Felton, Harvin, Goodwin, Duke, Robey, Lawson, Thigpen, Carpenter, Gay, Koujo, and O'Leary should all be sent packing

Target an OT and WR in FA. The draft OT in first round. Then add a LB, G/C, DE, NT, and another LB via draft or FA.

Thurman has been with Rex as long if not longer than Pettine was. He's not going anywhere. Our best hope of change is on the player side. I would leave Kyle alone, but Mario, I agree, is about to be out the door. I like him, but I don't think he fits what Rex wants to do, and a re-structure won't change that. Rex is too hard-headed to change his system. Bradham, Mario are definitely gone I believe.

And Rex would still F'k that **** up.

Plain and simple, it could be his best offer, if it is likely he comes, if not, he'll go elsewhere. You could make the argument well it's better for him to sit out a year, but these guys worry and justifiably so that once they sit out, they are forgotten quickly.

Thurman isnt going anywhere, he is a Rex guy

This team needs LBs, badly. I like Preston Brown but he seemed much better at OLB than MLB

I would love to see Wilkerson in a Bills uniform but it simply wont happen as he is going to want Dareus money

DLine is a big need though but i think they address that in the draft

Miller had a bad game vs the Eagles and so did everyone else on the line but he has played well for the most part this year...i was surprised he started with way Urbik was playing though

Thurman has been with Rex as long if not longer than Pettine was. He's not going anywhere. Our best hope of change is on the player side. I would leave Kyle alone, but Mario, I agree, is about to be out the door. I like him, but I don't think he fits what Rex wants to do, and a re-structure won't change that. Rex is too hard-headed to change his system. Bradham, Mario are definitely gone I believe.

This is the biggest problem, if you ask me. Good coordinators build a system around their players' talents, not force a player into their system.

If Rex is going to succeed, he needs to get the right guys for his system. He can't force his system on the guys who don't have the skills to do what he wants them to do.