Lets talk draft

Pete

Trade down and collect picks.

The QB will always be the elephant till it isn't. But there will be no need to trade.

Nix's big WR open even when he isn't.

LBs safety( (A williams might be done and Graham is aging) great mentor) DT DE C TE.

RB

I think we do have holes to fill in both draft and FA. Do your Majic, Doogie

English?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the opposite

We need OL,LB,DL,S, and maybe even WR and CB

CBF

Every team has at least a handful of needs going into each offseason, that's the way it is with the modern rules of Free Agency.

But how many starters are we really looking for? How many actual holes in the lineup?

Right now, out of that list, I'd say LB and OL. That's it.

We need to add development depth in the DBs (both S and CB), and along the DL. But as it stands, we have our starting lineup for those positions on the roster already. WRs, with our #1 spot already filled, can be found pretty easily.

I just dont think this year's list of needs is as bad as in previous years. We know Whaley can and will draft LBs. Need to shore up the OL, and then work on finding players to develop on the defense. No major roster-building undertakings.

Every team has at least a handful of needs going into each offseason, that's the way it is with the modern rules of Free Agency.

But how many starters are we really looking for? How many actual holes in the lineup?

Right now, out of that list, I'd say LB and OL. That's it.

We need to add development depth in the DBs (both S and CB), and along the DL. But as it stands, we have our starting lineup for those positions on the roster already. WRs, with our #1 spot already filled, can be found pretty easily.

I just dont think this year's list of needs is as bad as in previous years. We know Whaley can and will draft LBs. Need to shore up the OL, and then work on finding players to develop on the defense. No major roster-building undertakings.

I would add Safety to that list too

CBF

Safety? Our biggest need? Bills Fans are SO used to losing that some posters (not saying you) would actually condone making the same mistakes over and over. How about this years version of Donte Whitner? Unbelievable.

It's not that I value the position, as much as I know Rex does and we're quickly going from stacked at the position to basically being left with only Rambo.

I'm all for going OL first, if the right player is there. But I think that if/when we re-sign Richie and Cordy, we're much better off in that unit than with our Safety corp.

And Whitner was a mistake because he wasnt talented enough to be drafted at 9. Not because Safety should never be drafted that high. We'll probably finish 8-8 and be drafting in the teens. Who knows what will be available then.

Btw if you covet linebackers, Alabama has not one but two who are fantastic players, Reggie Ragland and Ruben Foster. Anything can happen wrt draft picks, but both of them might be better than anybody on our roster right now.

The above hit is against one of the best running backs in college. Seriously, Fournette is that good. Foster destroys him and Ragland is rated higher than him.

Tape the game on New Years Eve and then let's talk if you are thinking linebacker! :)

You know you're talking to the biggest SEC fanboy on the board, right? :thumbsup:

I'd be fine with drafting any LB from Bama. And I think that can apply every year. :worthy:

I would add Safety to that list too

CBF

We both already did :doh:

It's not that I value the position, as much as I know Rex does and we're quickly going from stacked at the position to basically being left with only Rambo.

I'm all for going OL first, if the right player is there. But I think that if/when we re-sign Richie and Cordy, we're much better off in that unit than with our Safety corp.

And Whitner was a mistake because he wasnt talented enough to be drafted at 9. Not because Safety should never be drafted that high. We'll probably finish 8-8 and be drafting in the teens. Who knows what will be available then.

You know you're talking to the biggest SEC fanboy on the board, right? :thumbsup:

I'd be fine with drafting any LB from Bama. And I think that can apply every year. :worthy:

We both already did :doh:

Oops!

CBF

The Bills are clearly broken. And with Richie, Glenn, Bradham, Gilmore, Hogan, etc contract's looming-where do we begin to fix this team? Multiple linemen, a second tight end, edge rusher, linebackers, a safety- that's a start. Right now we are drafting 18th. Who should we be looking at? Where do we start?

Don't worry, we'll win some meaningless games at the end to mess up the draft position.

Actually, I want the Bills to win week 17, mostly because one of my sons is going to his first game that day, but other than that, Go Bills - the worser the better!

a Luke kuechly, Patrick willis type of do all player would be awesome. Brown's ok - but we need a vocal leader out there driving that intensity on every play. An LB in a Jamie Collins Mold would be good too, as we're clearly struggling with tackling in the flats, and TEs in general. Need some more speed here.

And we need some speed on the edge for our pass rush. Hughes still has it, but a rotational 3rd down guy (who can probably be had relatively cheaply in FA) to rush the passer could be really helpful. We give up way too many 3rd and longs when were rushing only 4. Might be able to work a young guy in on 3rd downs with limited responsibilities outside of the QB.

big guy to clog the middle so dareus and KW can make some plays.

Safety i think we can get by with smarter rather than pure talent. They played jim leonard back there for a few years and had a ton of success because he was smart and knew when to play tight down low, and center field. So while i think it's been an issue - i don't know if were going to make a huge splash here.

As for Offense, were losing harvin. Find an affordable replacement after the big names have been signed. I don't prioritize drafting here since we already have some decent young talent. RB i like our 3, and QB i don't think we can get anyone of value in Free agency. I'd like a better 2nd TE, since these guys all seem to get hurt anyway.

The guys i'd target in the draft... Nose tackle, ILB, Pass rushing OLB, Tackle, G/C and then a flyer on a CB and/or WR.

Edited by dneveu

So what round do people think this kicker from Florida State will be drafted in?

CBF

CBS has him as a 2nd rounder. That's a bit rich for me but there's no doubting he's good. He's coming off a down year where he only converted 83.3% of his FG's.

His touchback percentage is 54.43%, which would be good for 19th in the NFL (Jordan Gay is at 54.83% for the year, partly because Danny Crossman is an idiot).

I'd still rather take Ka'imi Fairbairn from UCLA later. Far better value and I'm not sure the dropoff is that great.

CBS has him as a 2nd rounder. That's a bit rich for me but there's no doubting he's good. He's coming off a down year where he only converted 83.3% of his FG's.

His touchback percentage is 54.43%, which would be good for 19th in the NFL (Jordan Gay is at 54.83% for the year, partly because Danny Crossman is an idiot).

I'd still rather take Ka'imi Fairbairn from UCLA later. Far better value and I'm not sure the dropoff is that great.

I'm all for drafting a kicker this year but what round?

CBF

I'm all for drafting a kicker this year but what round?

CBF

The last time I vouched for a kicker, it was Dustin Hopkins. I was fine with him in the 5th. I think Fairbairn would represent good value there.

Lot of roster turnover seems inevitable. We may have bigger fish to fry in the first 2-3 rounds than a kicker. Day 3 is for role players, bad boys and height/weight/speed types.

I'm almost always in favor of this... B-)

I would rather have too many than not enough.

With Whaley and the Watkins trade , i considered that a setback.

Not because it was Sammy or whether Whaley thought it was the time to throw the chips in.

Its because I stand firm in my thinking. that GM should always gather more and use that to move up the in the draft. Takes a long time to do and the effort can be pissed away in one draft.

I think we need more players then some others here. and not just from the draft. So whaley better find some cash flow!

I just hope we lose out, but I could see us running the table over Washington / Meh Cassel / Rex's continued revenge against the Jets. The way everything is jumbled anything from pick 8 to pick 20 is in play.

Its not worth it to ever hope to lose out Chuck.

Moving up a couple spots is not that big a deal when you sit at nineteen.

Maybe from 5th to 1st could be a game changer, and get some trade back leverage!!

But we wont beat the browns for sucktitude this year

: )

Agreed. I love it when second and third round picks stack up.

thats would be nice, Whaleys sweet spot too!

The last time I vouched for a kicker, it was Dustin Hopkins. I was fine with him in the 5th. I think Fairbairn would represent good value there.

Lot of roster turnover seems inevitable. We may have bigger fish to fry in the first 2-3 rounds than a kicker. Day 3 is for role players, bad boys and height/weight/speed types.

agreed : )

Edited by 3rdand12