I haven't started a thread in forever. Here goes.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think Dareus was ever Elite. Mario is getting old and it looks like all they are asking him to do is set the edge. I ask someone to take a look at the all 22 and give feedback on his play today. He can still get to the QB. I think i said a while back. Kyle was unblockable and should definitely not be looked at for the annual freddie jackson award. Maybe Hughes needs to go back to rush linebacker. Pull in that mountain of a man we picked up at nose move dareus to de. Maybe put mario at the other de. We need a way better middle linebacker also.

I would have laughed if you told me rex+last years defense was gonna be bottom 3rd.

Rex has done things with lesser teams. Maybe its an injury/continuity thing. Point blank we have it. We just need to figure it all out. Like you said... i highly doubt we see this poor defense next year.

I agree with most of this but Dareus has been forced to play run stuffer this year. Next year we get a cheap NT for that role and Dareus will be a beastly 3-4 DE. That's what he played in college.

Is every thread going to turn into a "TT SUCKS" thread from now on?

Just like the "CARPENTER SUCKS" threads a couple weeks ago.

Who would be better? Who are you going to get? How much time will the new guy get?

And when do the EJ fans come out of the woodwork to let us know that if EJ had been given just a few more chances, he would have turned the corner?

I was impressed by TT. He threw too many long balls that seemed to be throw aways, but without knowing the play call, I can't condemn him for that.

He has a nice touch on his passes, and he runs just enough to move the chains.

Personally, I would like to turn every thread into a "OLINE SUCKS" thread. How many good plays were called back by holding?

This offense seems to have a lot of bad plays with the occasional successful long bomb. That is not sustainable.

And why is the third play from scrimmage always a trick play that fails? That seems to be the pattern for much of this season.

Rex took two middling teams led by Mark Sanchez to the AFC Championship game. He OVERACHIEVED as the head coach of the Jets however you want to dice it. And this was not intended to be a pro-Rex Ryan thread. He absolutely underachieved this year. I'm just saying I want to see this thing through for a few years before I make up my mind on the guy.

Rex Ryan inherited a defense with Revis and other good defensive players, and with his scheme turned them into the #1 defense in the league. That Jets team also already had three all pro players on their O line so they ran the ball to become the #1 rushing team in the NFL.

That first year in NY Ryan ran the ball 607 times, and passed it only 393 times. Thus allowing Sanchez a minimal amount of chances to make mistakes, and to turn the ball over. This made him a game manager with not so much pressure to win the games all on his shoulders.

Then as time went on in NY he forgot what got him to those AFC championship games, and wanted to pass more then run. Then in time his teams regressed rather then got better.

I can only think that this season Ryan inherited a defense #4 in total defense, and #1 in sacks then castrated it with his scheme because the current all pro players don't fit it. 30th in sacks, really? This years team got so much worse in penalties, got so much worse on special teams with the same coach, and players. Bad game management, red flag management on the road.

I've seen enough of coaching bums over the years to realize that Ryan may still be a decent defensive coordinator if given players that fit his scheme. He stinks as a head coach, and always will no matter how many years these new owners give him.

P.S. Tyrod Taylor should be the starting QB next year no question.

Great post...I agree that there are some tweaks needed.

But if Rex cannot start addressing the stupid penalties on all sides of the ball, I am not sure if he will make it past the end of next season.

PS - Fire the special teams coach at the end of the year too. I don't think that I have ever seen special teams this bad for the Bills in all of the 30+ seasons that I have watched them. Just awful.

That is offensive scheme...that is not on Tyrod....AND

Alex Smith is a bad comparison.....because TT is a deep ball big play guy and Alex Smith is a short game quick throw guy. The only real comparison between the two is they both take care of the ball.

John, c'mon, seriously?

The scheme is the reason Tyrod hasn't thrown the ball 40 times and been successful?

John, c'mon, seriously?

The scheme is the reason Tyrod hasn't thrown the ball 40 times and been successful?

Let's not turn this into a Taylor thread. You know as well as anyone that as a general rule (Brady and Roethlisberger excluded), the less a QB has to throw the football, the better the team's chance of winning. If you told me Taylor would either throw 25 times today or 40, I would tell you the Bills chances were better if he threw 25. It's a chicken and egg thing.

Its pretty obvious that is not what Roman wants him to do.

No one wants their QB to do that. My biggest gripe with the gameplan today was that Taylor took too many shots and didn't take what the defense was giving him. Not sure if that falls on Taylor or Roman but my guess is it's on Taylor. Again, they could've dinked and dunked their way into FG range on that last drive in their sleep.

Let's not turn this into a Taylor thread. You know as well as anyone that as a general rule (Brady and Roethlisberger excluded), the less a QB has to throw the football, the better the team's chance of winning. If you told me Taylor would either throw 25 times today or 40, I would tell you the Bills chances were better if he threw 25. It's a chicken and egg thing.

No one wants their QB to do that. My biggest gripe with the gameplan today was that Taylor took too many shots and didn't take what the defense was giving him. Not sure if that falls on Taylor or Roman but my guess is it's on Taylor. Again, they could've dinked and dunked their way into FG range on that last drive in their sleep.

Did you watch Brady play the ravens in the playoffs last year? They might have run once in the second half.

Okay, here we are again. 16 years. Here's the good news: the Bills appear to have a QB. That's kind of an important thing. More good news: this is not a Dick Jauron team that overachieved and somehow bumbled its way to 7-9. This is a team that actually has a lot of good football players on its roster. What they HAVE to do is go Ron Rivera/Panthers style and see this regime through. No one is hiring Greg Roman as their head coach. They need to bring everyone (save for Crossman- let him be the fall guy, deservedly so) back and give it another two goes minimum. ABSOLUTELY bring Whaley back.

If I could select one adjective to use to describe this team it would be UNREFINED. Sammy Watkins is unrefined. He's talented but he needs to tighten his game up. They are undisciplined with respect to the penalties, their special teams, etc. Their field goal kicker is shaky. They do all the little things wrong that a team like the Kansas City Chiefs does right. Does anyone think this team can't be as good as the Kansas City Chiefs next year? Hell, does anyone think if this team made the playoffs this year that they couldn't beat anyone- save for the Patriots with a healthy Gronkowski- on their best day? They're not that far away. They just need to tighten things up. And that comes with familiarity and repetition, period.

And for everyone who thinks Rex Ryan sucks, I can assure you that Panthers fans thought the same of Ron Rivera, that Bengals fans have thought the same of Marvin Lewis for over a decade, etc., etc. What doesn't work is the Browns model of recycling coaches and starting from scratch every two years. You gotta see this thing through folks. They need to go front seven in the first round- preferably a monster linebacker from the Big Ten or something. And you know Ryan will.

As much as everyone wanted it to happen this year, this team has nothing to do with teams prior. This team, this regime is 0 for 1 and that's it. They have an owner who is playing with monopoly money and will tell his GM to spend whatever he wants. They're gonna be fine. Give Ryan a year to put together his own defense and let's see what happens. If we're having the same conversation a year from now, I'll be damned.

Sammy really could have used a gamer like Anquan Boldin in here this year to show/shame him into giving a full effort.

He is a GREAT talent......but he is far too willing to fail.

Bob Woods could use a lesson in effort as well. He gave up on the Taylor overthrow at the end and was completely oblivious to the coverage behind him. It would have been tough but he should have been trying to knock that pass away. Instead he starts coasting then gets a shocked look that it gets picked and then overruns the play.

This team has plenty of talent they just do not execute at a winners level.

Like the thread a lot just as far as keeping perspective, it's not easy though as you have to essentially erase the past to arrive at that place. People are angry that they felt we had a much better team and I can't say I disagree with them. I can also appreciate the need to allow a staff time to build a team, but that feeling is somewhat offset by the fact that Rex has not been successful in a long time. This would make 5 consecutive seasons in which he could not eclipse .500 with a record during that time of 32-45. I'm with you in the sense that we seem to be our own worst nightmare as far as not showing patience and always ending up in this head coaching loop but at the same time I just don't think Rex is a very good HC.

Edited by KzooMike

Good thread. I don't know if Tyrod is the answer but he gives this team a chance to win. Year 2 for a QB is the biggest chance at improvement so that is where I will try to find a silver lining on a disappointing day.

great points. I'm not sure if TT is the answer either. Guess we find out next year. Saw some great things and some other awful things (couldn't locate the long ball in the 2nd half at all, still struggles with intermediate passes).

I'm ok with this viewpoint. But they need to do something about their relationship with the NFL officials and perhaps overhaul their training program. And they need a game day quality control coach (or coaches) to make sure that the trains are running on time, i.e., getting plays called in on time and substituting defenders in promptly, managing challenges, etc.

I don't support firing Rex just to fire Rex. But it may be true that there are some guys out there that would be more exciting. I mean, something like a McDaneils/Schwartz pairing would be more exciting than Rex/Roman to me. But Rex/Roman is fine for another year to see what happens.

I don't disagree with any of that.

I was responding to John's comment, nothing more.