I haven't started a thread in forever. Here goes.

I agree that Rex was a disappointment THIS YEAR but I am willing to give him an entire offseason to mold his own defense in his vision and see what happens. I fully expect the defense to be better next season regardless of who is suiting up. And then there's no reason to think that with Taylor, McCoy and Watkins all returning that the offense shouldn't be just as good or better. I just think it's ludicrous that in other threads, people actually want Rex Ryan fired now. The one and only thing we know DOES NOT work is constant turnover. Thankfully it's a moot point because he's not getting fired one year into a lucrative five year contract.

I think it's natural for people to lash out now because the expectations were so high. I'm guessing that most of the same people who are calling for his instant firing were the ones who drowned out any early criticism of Ryan's hiring.

But now that we can put the expectations aside and examine what happened this year, it's clear that this team was a marginal playoff team and needed for more things to go right than to go wrong, and that's not what happened. It's easy to blame Rex for the defensive failures and the unit certainly took a ste down from last year's stats. But it's not like we had a shut down unit last year that stomped out potential game winning drives. In similar situations last year in mid-season, Bills couldn't stop Pats*, Chiefs and Dolphins back breaking drives. That vaunted defense also fell flat on its face when ONE player was lost to injury against the Raiders.

The real big question for this season is whether is was right for Ryan to use 2015 as the launch phase to implement his scheme from the start, or should he have tried a hybrid approach and eased his system in over time. We can speculate on that forever, but also need to accept that Rex is Rex and he will run his system. But you also have to question whether the hybrid would have worked in producing more wins anyway, when that defense did not shut people down.

To me, the season was lost on offense because the Bills cannot sustain scoring drives, Taylor doesn't use the whole field yet, and Bills don't have standard plays that automatically pick up 4 yards on third downs. Mark it down to a combination of an inexperienced QB weho's surrounded by a cast of underachievers. I think the season was toast once Harvin was gone. He was clearly Taylor's safety option, and after he was lost nobody stepped up to provide the same level of confidence and support for the young QB. This could be part of Taylor's education, but it's definitely hurting the team.

Yesterday's game was a clear example. I'll have to rewatch the All-22, but from the stands, Taylor did not have many options to throw the ball as the game wore on. I didn't know that Clay left the game, and it showed on the field.

So in the end, I see a team in the 8-8 to 10-6 band that could have squeezed into the playoffs and then lost its first game. If the team takes a step back next year, then Rex should be gone. But it's silly to fire him this year, and even sillier to think that Schwartz would be an improvement.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting to 8-8 that season was a combination of luck and Geno Smith actually putting together some decent games, neither of which Rex has anything to do with.

That's a stretch and you know it. Doesn't matter. He sucked this year and has a lot to prove next year, that we can both agree on.

Disagree jeffismagic... culture trumps individuals. We're seeing the same behaviors as we have for the last 16 years. All talk, no real urgency, little accountability, playing down to the level of their competition, losing is ok, "as long as we fill the stadium". Somebody needs to acknowledge it and own it. I don't see it coming from ownership yet... maybe some hope for that this offseason.

So this is a great roster that played down to the Eagles yesterday? Seriously?

I have no idea what you mean by accountability. That sounds like a football buzzword.

This thread is more about fixing things. Please provide your insights on that so we can talk about moving forward.

Your idea that the Pegulas are here to make a buck is so bizarre that it makes all your other "points" seem like a poorly thought out rant.

Edited by jeffismagic

So this is a great roster that played down to the Eagles yesterday? Seriously?

I have no idea what you mean by accountability. That sounds like a football buzzword.

This thread is more about fixing things. Please provide your insights on that so we can talk about moving forward.

Your idea that the Pegulas are here to make a buck is so bizarre that it makes all your other "points" seem like a poorly thought out rant.

I think it's a roster that is pretty banged up by injuries and even still, was/is a better roster than the Eagles. And I think that they were the better team yesterday and the reason they lost is because (as I stated in my original post), they do all the stupid things wrong that smart teams don't do. They need to learn how to win. I think they can. I think an entire offseason with little to no turnover and some cohesiveness for a change will do this team a lot of good.

Also if someone insinuated that the Pegulas purchased the Bills or the Sabres as an investment in order to make a few bucks, that is one of the most ill-informed, out-there takes I have heard in some time.

I think it's a roster that is pretty banged up by injuries and even still, was/is a better roster than the Eagles. And I think that they were the better team yesterday and the reason they lost is because (as I stated in my original post), they do all the stupid things wrong that smart teams don't do. They need to learn how to win. I think they can. I think an entire offseason with little to no turnover and some cohesiveness for a change will do this team a lot of good.

Also if someone insinuated that the Pegulas purchased the Bills or the Sabres as an investment in order to make a few bucks, that is one of the most ill-informed, out-there takes I have heard in some time.

Two big storylines for next year will be:

1.Tyrod Taylor, can he take the next step

2.Defense. Better, Worse, or the Same Next Year? What do Rex and Whaley do with Mario and Kyle? Does Dareus get put into position to dominate again? Safeties and Linebackers is also a bit of a mess right now.

I don't disagree with anything you said, the team is clearly hurting at linebacker, special teams is a mess, and the playcalling on offense makes your head scratch at times. I would like to see the team draft a LB, a safety or two, and some OL help (frankly I've been very disappointed with Eric Wood this year). Use the late round picks on players that have potential to be solid special teams contributors/decent backups, and might as well draft a kicker with the seventh round pick.

My main issue with this team right now is the undisciplined play. Some of the penalties these guys are taking are just unacceptable and very poorly timed - they kill drives, or extend the drives of the opponent. That's all on Rex. It says a lot when a coach picks up a guy off the waiver wire that literally knocked his starting quarterback for 8 weeks. Rex tolerates that kind of behavior and that has to stop. Terry needs to send a clear message to Rex that this needs to change.

I do think Rex's scheme has been a poor fit for the personnel on this team. Our linebackers are atrocious and that has been exposed big time this year. Pettine benefited from Kiko and Schwartz from Spikes overachieving. Bradham and Brown have underachieved compared to last year and I'm having a difficult time pointing to anything other than scheme being the cause.

This team is also devoid of any player leadership. Everyone knew that Fred Jackson was the unquestioned leader of this team. Now, nobody knows who that is, and it doesn't help when Rex trots out random players each game as captains aimed at agitating the other team. Get rid of that system, groom the right set of people to be captains (Tyrod would be a good place to start), and see where that takes us next year. Maybe sign a late-in-career vet that can provide this - at this point, I would spend a roster spot on someone that can primarily provide leadership.

Good thread. I don't know if Tyrod is the answer but he gives this team a chance to win. Year 2 for a QB is the biggest chance at improvement so that is where I will try to find a silver lining on a disappointing day.

We need to have higher standards than "he gives the team a chance to win". We're just so accustomed to watching poor QB play, that anything average is considered good enough.

Well, it's not.

Actually, I can really see this team even regressing further next year with this current

coaching staff, maybe that's what it will take.

The OP could be right, but somehow I just know that we will mess it up again.

You have to remember that we not only have to beat the other team, but the other

two opponents as well, the refs and the league, and they don't play fair at all!

We need to have higher standards than "he gives the team a chance to win". We're just so accustomed to watching poor QB play, that anything average is considered good enough.

Well, it's not.

A QB that gives you a chance to win and can get better is the best we are going to have for the near future.

How do your high standards change the timeline?

Disagree jeffismagic... culture trumps individuals. We're seeing the same behaviors as we have for the last 16 years. All talk, no real urgency, little accountability, playing down to the level of their competition, losing is ok, "as long as we fill the stadium". Somebody needs to acknowledge it and own it. I don't see it coming from ownership yet... maybe some hope for that this offseason.

How quickly we all forget. This franchise was FAR more dysfunctional just 5 or so years ago than they are now. The way we hired GMs and coaches...pathetic. How we drafted players and signed free agent talent...equally pathetic.

I'm not saying we are now a Super Bowl contender, but to not recognize an improvement in the system (call it culture if you like) is crazy.

I think it's natural for people to lash out now because the expectations were so high. I'm guessing that most of the same people who are calling for his instant firing were the ones who drowned out any early criticism of Ryan's hiring.

ding*ding*ding*ding

Marvin Lewis hasn't won anything yet.

When the team asks Tyrod Taylor to do much, he can't do it. When he throws over 30 times per game, they lose every time. He is a faster, less-cerebral Alex Smith. Can you see Alex Smith winning a superbowl? Me neither.

Honestly, when TT is throwing more than 30 times, we have lost because our D let up way too many points, or bc we took too many penalties, not bc TT hasn't played well.

Honestly, when TT is throwing more than 30 times, we have lost because our D let up way too many points, or bc we took too many penalties, not bc TT hasn't played well.

Ah stats. You have to love them.

What do you say to 29 passes in a clear cut victory going - 21-29 for 277 yds, 3 TD's and 0 INTs' with an excellent rating of 136.7?

What do you say to 30 passes in a loss going - 23-30 for 242 yds, 3 TD's and 3 INTs' with a rating of 93.3?

Not much of a difference there except one was in panic mode.

It is my opinion that these numbers indicate that the Offense can pass the ball for ~ 30 times if they execute well and don't fall into a hole.

Edited by NOVABillsFan