Who Still Likes the Rex Hire

billsfan_34

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never did I thought and still think Roman as HC and Schwartz as DC was all this team needed

probably true, would have kept our great defense intact.

I believe we will have a good D under Rex we just have to rebuild it (again!!!!!!) with his type of players. The problem with this team is we have switched from a 43 to a 34 every yr since Chan. once the D gets good the next guy comes in changes everything, frustrating.

I like what Roman has done with the run game just wish he was just as innovative with the passing game.

+1

He doesn't make penalties, throw interceptions, fumble the ball, or get injured. Injuries have killed this team and anyone who doesn't believe injuries matter is a fool. If the replacement players we better or equal players, they'd play here or somewhere else. Injuries aren't an excuse, they're an explanation.

Still don't have a QB either. Blame Rex all you want, the guy has never had a serious franchise QB. I'm not an apologist but you can't expect a guy to come in to an 8-8 team (that NE win was a joke) and with the addition only of an unknown QB, RB, WR (all who by the way missed game with injuries) and a handful of draft picks, not including a first, and have a lot of success when they injuries have piled up and up and up.

Everyone that loves the blame game misses the importance of building a team. Whaley has done a god job drafting and getting talent but they're not good enough yet. The right side of line has been a problem all year (guess what... injuries), they have no legit #2 WR (they guy brought in... guess what, hurt). The LBs are mediocre. The safety play has been bad (guess what.... injuries).

I don't give a **** who the coach is, this team lost way to many man games to injury, didn't make enough plays, and needs some serious upgrades at key positions... oh and has a mediocre QB, a minor issue in the NFL. Who would come in and be better? The next great college failure? The next great OC or DC to fail? The road to the NFL sideline is littered annually with the dead souls of former hot commodity coaches.

Save the Jets are better. The talent on their D far outshines the Bills and sadly, Fitzpatrick has put together a waaaay better year than TT. Again, QB play matters, if you thought a rookie QB with what, one start (I don't even know), was going to lead this team to the playoffs, you should have your head examined.

Last point about Fitz... speaks a little to my argument about patience. Yeah he's not perfect but this constant NFL shuffle of QBs and coaches on teams like the Bills gives you what you get, no continuity and no playoffs.

Anyone confident this QB leads then to the playoffs next year?

And BTW, with Shady shut up now? Sick of his tired act.

Yeah I don't know if I agree with this post. Injuries are a part of the NFL. In December every team is banged up. I was for Rex being hired but imo he has had 2 fireable offenses. First what he has done to the defense is disgusting. I just can't believe my eyes the way they have played this year. Second, the lack discipline on this team is alarming & it costs us games. Both of these things fall towards Ryan & they are both fireable offenses.

Well the D wasnt broke and certainly didnt need Rex's changes, but we got em.

The best quote "were gonna be a number 1 defense" (Ryan, 2015). I cant stand the idiot and never could.

Isnt it 17 years now

CBF

16 years all day long

Edited by billsfan_34

I liked it when it happened, but I assumed thered be an offset to his bad tendencies. When they traded kiko for an aging back who cost a lot more I started to have doubts. Then when the QB competition went to the guy with the fastest 40 time I pretty much knew we were in trouble, at least offensively. Defense I figured would take another year of adjustment to get the players right for Rex's scheme. I'm expecting next year a return to top 5 defense status. Offense...is a different matter altogether

I think we all know the bandaid should probably be ripped off and let Rex go elsewhere. His act is probably not going to get better with age. The penalty issue will never get fixed. The stupid things they do every game will probably never get fixed. I was fun while it lasted, but I want the Bills to make the playoffs, not win the most entertaining head coach award. This league is about attacking on defense, attacking on offense through the air and not doing stupid things to hurt your chances to win. Rex is from the stone age of running the football and running his "genius" confuse the QB defensive system which has had hit or miss results for a long time now because the league has clearly caught up with it.

I'd take Greg Roman as head coach at this point and hire Schwartz back as DC (or Fangio if the niners fire him).

Sorry they all just blend in with each other now

CBF

As does all the terrible losses, penalties, mistakes etc... I feel your pain buddy.

I think we all know the bandaid should probably be ripped off and let Rex go elsewhere. His act is probably not going to get better with age. The penalty issue will never get fixed. The stupid things they do every game will probably never get fixed. I was fun while it lasted, but I want the Bills to make the playoffs, not win the most entertaining head coach award. This league is about attacking on defense, attacking on offense through the air and not doing stupid things to hurt your chances to win. Rex is from the stone age of running the football and running his "genius" confuse the QB defensive system which has had hit or miss results for a long time now because the league has clearly caught up with it.

I'd take Greg Roman as head coach at this point and hire Schwartz back as DC (or Fangio if the niners fire him).

Most QBs are too smart for his outdated defensive system- the game has passed Rex bye and I dont even think he could be a quality D coord anymore

Rex isn't going anywhere.

Nope but if he has at least one brain cell left he fires crossman and thurman

Edited by billsfan_34

I understand the frustration, but there are problems with this team this season for which Rex should not be faulted. The injuries, the dropped passes, the missed tackles, the poor officiating cannot be blamed on the coaches. The penalties may or may not be the fault of the coaches (Pats led the league in penalties last season - nobody blames Belicheck). I think you can question/ blame Rex for the tremendous and seemingly inexplicable drop in defensive play. Although the defense did not cost us the game yesterday.

I understand the frustration, but there are problems with this team this season for which Rex should not be faulted. The injuries, the dropped passes, the missed tackles, the poor officiating cannot be blamed on the coaches. The penalties may or may not be the fault of the coaches (Pats led the league in penalties last season - nobody blames Belicheck). I think you can question/ blame Rex for the tremendous and seemingly inexplicable drop in defensive play. Although the defense did not cost us the game yesterday.

We allowed 23 points to an awful Eagles team and Rex must also be faulted for keeping Danny Crossman. We elected to not kick a FG from 36 yards lol. A team fighting for a playoff spot kicks it and also goes for it on 4th down here and there. Im not saying you dont make valid points- you do. Just remember one thing- fundamentally sound teams are a testament to quality coaching. Is this team fundamentally sound?

Penalties and tons of them- poor game management- awful play calling- horrendous special teams and the list goes on and on I hated the hire then and dispise it now. This team is **** and will always be. Im done

Im still like the Rex hire. Things many are very quick to forget around here and are very relevant whether they want to buy into it or not.

1. We have dealt with a terrible injury situation this year. Yes every team has dealt with injuries, but those teams typically don't win much. Even GB with an Elite QB and good coach has struggle a ton on offense after losing its #1 WR. Injuries factor in bigger than people want to accept. This year, our essentially rookie starting QB (rookie in terms of game time) played a large portion of the year hurt and missed games against teams we likely beat with him. If Taylor doesn't get hurt, we are probably sitting on a winning record. We have had our best playmakers all year on offense hurt most the year, and many have missed a ton of games. Our OL, which can't afford injuries has been hit hard as well. On defense, we have been missing key players in our secondary and LB core for much of the year. Bottom line, when teams lose this many KEY players, including the most important skill positions on offense, they struggle to win. People bag on Romo in Dallas, but just losing Romo takes Dallas from a playoff team to a bad team. Injuries matter a lot, especially at the positions we have had them at. So, for me, its pretty hard to judge Rex and this staff when they are playing with guys off our practice squad and backups at key positions.

2. We have an entire new system being implemented on both sides of the ball. Sometimes the transition isn't over night, and when you couple the transition with a new QB making his first starts and the injury situation mentioned above, it further complicates the process. Repetition creates consistency, but when your lineup is constantly changing with sub par players being subbed in because in some cases we are down to 3rd and 4th string players like we have been at times at OL, RB, WR, LB, and DB all year, then it because really hard to build the chemistry needed to build consistency.

3. Penalties - Yes, the coaching staff has a role in this, but it doesn't all fall on them. Sometimes players are just idiots, and guys like Hughes are just stupid on the field. I don't care what anyone says, the kind of bone head plays Hughes makes week in and week out is not on them, the guy just doesn't get it. It doesn't take a coach to tell him not to throw a punch on 4th down, thats something he knows but chooses to be an idiot. And he always has been. Last year he made lots of dumb plays too, but his effectiveness over shadowed it, so it didn't seem as bad. We have had lots of OL penalties too, and a lot of that has to do with the fact that our OL is bad with the injuries we have had to an already average line when healthy.

4. Half time adjustments - Say what you want about this staff, but they have been the best I have seen here in decades at making half time adjustments. Frequently, we have come out in the 2nd half and played better on both sides of the ball.

5. Officiating - Bills are getting the Dennis Rodman treatment right now. Because they have become known as a high penalty team, we have gotten some horrendous calls that have significantly effected the outcome of multiple games. I am the last guy to complain about officiating, but I will say with supreme confidence that bad calls have literally stolen 3 wins from us this year. Yes, everyone gets calls that goes for them and against them, and I will be the first to say that. But this year, I have seen some of the worst officiating I have ever seen (and not just against us, but in lots of games this year) and I firmly believe 3 wins have been stolen from us by horribly egregious calls that never should have happened.

Im sure I will get this post slammed as a bunch of excuses, but people who call facts excuses are just making excuses to justify their stance. Above is ALL FACTS, period. And those facts heavily impact the win/loss columns for any head coach. Given the amount of turmoil this team has to over come this year, I would say that its pretty hard to blame it on Rex. No head coach is perfect and I still very much like the way this team stays in games and fights, something we haven't seen from the Bills in decades. When we are healthy, we are a different team and I am not ready to condemn Rex given all of the above.