Carucci: Bills won't discuss Whaley's future during season

YoloinOhio

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Opinions will change if the Bills don't finish with a winning record, or make the playoffs perhaps.

And wasn't it Rex's idea to bring in TT?

I have no idea who's idea it was to be honest. Opinions may change with a WC spot.

I think that Whaley has brought in some good young over the past few seasons. As I mentioned. I can say with certainty that not all players brought in by any GM can and will be successful. If he brings in 5 good players and one bad. Does the one bad spoil the bunch?

100% agree. The Cassel trade made sense when it was made and makes sense with hindsight too. We were equally screwed with either of them and they chose to keep the guy with bigger upside when they had an offer on the table for the other guy.

That sounds very explicable to me.

Interestingly, Cassel and and Manuel are virtually the same player this season: Cassel's rating is 78.6, and Manuel's is 78.5.

i'm going the other way on cassel.

that trade is the #1 reason we will miss the playoffs.

i'm no fan of cassel, but he would not have gift wrapped 21 points to Jax.

enjoy your 5th round pick and $1mil in cap savings....thanks whaley.

how much would you pay to have that win now ?....$10 mil ??

i go back and forth on this. I agree EJ was the main reason that we lost the way it played out. However - I don't think the defense played well at times in that game (100+ to freaking TJ Yeldon)? And I don't think Cassel makes the TD throws that EJ did to score points. Cassel has thrown enough pick 6s and INTs this season to make me think he's at least capable of 1 or 2 in that game. So it's impossible to know whether we would have won the game with him or not and draw any meaningful conclusion on that trade being the difference in the playoff outcome . Edited by YoloinOhio

As bad as Cassel has been this season with regard to inaccuracy and turnovers, there's no way to know this. It's complete conjecture.

My argument is not that Cassel is worse than EJ - just that they are the same and have performed the same. Their reasons for failing are different but they have both failed this season. If people want to find sticks to hit Whaley with that trading of Cassel is a really bad choice.

My argument is not that Cassel is worse than EJ - just that they are the same and have performed the same. Their reasons for failing are different but they have both failed this season. If people want to find sticks to hit Whaley with that trading of Cassel is a really bad choice.

IMO the trading of Cassel was not a bad choice.

Matt finally won a game against a <.500 team in DC on a fumble late in the game in the redzone. The game was so boring I was having a hard time staying awake.

@viccarucci: According to a team source, #Bills won't, per SOP, have any discussions about the future of GM Doug Whaley "during the season."

Weird tweet - isn't it normal to make these decisions in the offseason? Needless pot stirring by Vic? I mean - was anyone thinking about this while preparing for the Eagles game?

Seriously- why was this even brought up? Vic? slow news day? Has anyone contacted the News to see if Vic's status is up for discussion?

I don't understand why Whaley being fired would even be in consideration. To be completely honest, I'd rather have Whaley as a GM over Rex as a HC. He's made mistakes but he's also made a hell of a lot of good decisions and acquisitions for this team. The Cassel trade wasn't the best but Cassel wasn't going to win any games. He's behind arguably the best offensive line in football and he still can't produce. This team has a lot more talent on the roster than it has since maybe 2003.

That very same day he gift wrapped 21 to the Giants.

i hate it when someone lets facts get in the way of a good story.....i was on a roll.

just to soften that smackdown, i will say that cassel had a very short time to get familiar with the dallas playbook (a couple weeks) where as he had been familiar with buffalos for 6 months and likely wouldn't had made as many mistakes vs Jax.

I would not blame Whaley for trading Cassel , leaving EJ to lose the Jags game. I still blame his headset not working .

Fred has 17 carries for 74 yards so far.

I do not want Rex to have Chip powers to wheel and deal.

Edited by ALF