Whaley pursuing re-signing both Incognito and Glenn

YoloinOhio

Whaley was on wgr this morning and they asked him if he had any talks yet with RI's or Glenn's agents and said that he had, that the players were aware the Bills want to re sign them, had talked with their reps and will pick it up after the season. He said they were going to do pretty much do whatever they can go sign them.

Edited by YoloinOhio

While it is never a sure thing that you can get guys signed who could demand big money on the open market, I like that he sounded pretty positive. Sometimes you can get a sense if they think they won't be able to get it done.

they will obviously be aided by the cap going up 10 mill

Edited by YoloinOhio

I am optimistic about Glenn. There are better OTs out there that should command the most interest, but he's done well for us this year. I certainly would welcome him back for less-than-top dollar. I think a deal is doable.

Incognito ought to be an easy signing. He HAS to be grateful to the Bills for getting him back in the league, and I think he likes playing for guys with Rex's and Kromer's attitude. He's worth pretty big money. But he's a guard, not a tackle, so there ought to be a limit there too.

I don't know what to think about right tackle. Two draft picks from last year who ought to be striving to improve, and neither one is grabbing the job. RT is often a stretch for a first rounder, but it won't be a particularly high first rounder so it could make sense. And, what other areas of need do the Bills have at the moment? Depending on what FAs they lose, they might have a hole to fill, but they have no other big weaknesses. I would like to see another talented WR, but that's about it.

I am optimistic about Glenn. There are better OTs out there that should command the most interest, but he's done well for us this year. I certainly would welcome him back for less-than-top dollar. I think a deal is doable.

Incognito ought to be an easy signing. He HAS to be grateful to the Bills for getting him back in the league, and I think he likes playing for guys with Rex's and Kromer's attitude. He's worth pretty big money. But he's a guard, not a tackle, so there ought to be a limit there too.

I don't know what to think about right tackle. Two draft picks from last year who ought to be striving to improve, and neither one is grabbing the job. RT is often a stretch for a first rounder, but it won't be a particularly high first rounder so it could make sense. And, what other areas of need do the Bills have at the moment? Depending on what FAs they lose, they might have a hole to fill, but they have no other big weaknesses. I would like to see another talented WR, but that's about it.

i agree on RI. He seems to love the scheme.

sounds like they expect to restructure or release Mario if that's the case. Gilmore is their #1 target to get re-signed.

Incognito is playing as well as any Guard in the NFL. if he didn't have a dark cloud hanging over him he probably would have been a pro bowler. with his age and the stigma surrounding him i think we can get him for a nice price. but it will be much lower than what his people would be looking for so i don't think it will be easy to get done. i think Glenn has been playing quietly very well. i don't think he deserves a huge contract but he will get a nice pay day.

now what should be done about the right side of the line???

Jared Veldheer is a decent contract comparison. Both have been durable and solid if unspectacular starters at LT.

Veldheer's deal in 2014 was 5 years for $35m. With inflation, you're probably looking in the region of $8-8.5m a year for Cordy. Seems reasonable enough if he can be attained for that kind of salary.

With Richie, it's anyone's guess. There's nobody with similar circumstances to Richie but he's 33 over the summer. Anything more than a 2 year deal seems unlikely. Never thought I'd be vouching for his re-signing.

Edited by Blokestradamus

Rex is still confident in Henderson and Mills looked good at RT. Urbik a fine back up at RG for Miller.

Kromer is starting to look very good. Re-signing Richie and Glenn is a must though.

Hope Cyril can make progress to at least back up LG

I've been critical of Whaley but he has to be commended for this approach - it reflects a solid understanding of team-building (assuming he gets the deals done). You don't let a franchise LT or franchise cornerback walk, and Richie has proven to be a spectacular signing - I'm not sure there has been a better guard in football this year.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Hoping so. Wood is playing very well and Ritchie & Cordy give us a great 2/3rds of a line. Much is hoped for from Miller in the next couple years. RT? Between Mills, Seantrel and Kuonjo, we have at least a quality swing Tackle, if not a solid starter. Been a looong time coming..

The link is the WGR interview that Yolo referred to.

http://media.wgr550.com/a/111601592/128-doug-whaley-on-tyrod-taylor-and-more.htm

There was good commentary on TT and the prospects for development. What I took away from this interview is not what he specifically said but my general impression of Whaley and his level of professionalism. I am glad that he is leading this organization. Whether one agrees with his individual moves one can be sure that whatever he does is well thought out.

I'm not a Rex fan and probably never will be. For me his hiring was disappointing. But to his credit he, especially on offense, has assembled a good staff, mostly notably the hiring of Roman and Kromer.

Many people are critical of Russ Brandon. Not I. I think he is brilliant in dealing with the business side of the operation. It's obvious that the Pegulas think highly of him because they have increased his role in their expanding sports enterprise. Brandon is not someone who had a previous association with the Pegulas and because of that relationship moved up the ranks. He was drawn into their business because they recognized the quality of his work when he worked on behalf of Ralph Wilson (whose confidence he also won).

My central point is that this is a more sophisticated and well rounded organization because the quality of staff. In my opinion the pivotal point was when Russ Brandon was given more authority by the previous owner and then steadily made the right moves that put this franchise on the right track.

Edited by JohnC

i believe it is in the 7mill range but they save 12 mill or thereabouts.

Correct.

The best thing that they can hope for--that is if they're intent on getting him off the roster--is that there's a team that wants a 4-3 LE badly enough to give up a mid-round pick and sign him to a new contract.

That's possible, though not likely.