Shane Matthews

BillsNYC

TD said that if Shane wants the Backup job, its his. Shane is speaking with his family about it and will let them know.

Guess we won't be bringing in anybody else...

241893[/snapback]

We'll have to bring someone else in. We need bodies at the very least.

Uh, is that what TD actually said? I didn't hear the audio. BillsDaily.com wrote that the it was said that the Bills will bring in a backup soon, and that Matthews is a "canidate" for the backup job.

Somone please clarify.

Uh, is that what TD actually said? I didn't hear the audio. BillsDaily.com wrote that the it was said that the Bills will bring in a backup soon, and that Matthews is a "canidate" for the backup job.

Somone please clarify.

241915[/snapback]

He brought up Shane twice, one time saying "Shane is the ideal backup"

Somone please clarify.

241915[/snapback]

That's what Mularkey said, I think. But Donahoe was much more effusive, and made several comments. Don't have the exact quotes, but you didn't have to read deep between the lines to see that Matthews was their first choice, but that he was still pondering family issues.

Great. We may have an unproven being backed up by a nobody.

What a friggin mess.  :rolleyes:

241916[/snapback]

You were bitchin' non-stop about the oline pre-season and in the beginning of the season, mocking anyone who said McNally would make them better. At the end of the season you openly admitted to eating a big plate of crow.

Now your bitchin' non-stop about Bledsoe possibly being released and now that Bledsoe IS being released, mocking anyone who says Losman might have the goods to succeed. Methinks at the end of this season you will openly admit that you loved crow so much you've decided to have seconds.

You were bitchin' non-stop about the oline pre-season and in the beginning of the season, mocking anyone who said McNally would make them better. At the end of the season you openly admitted to eating a big plate of crow.

Now your bitchin' non-stop about Bledsoe possibly being released and now that Bledsoe IS being released, mocking anyone who says Losman might have the goods to succeed. Methinks at the end of this season you will openly admit that you loved crow so much you've decided to have seconds.

241929[/snapback]

Yes, I openly admitted to being happily wrong about McNally, something not so many do around here.

As for JP, I WANT him to do well because I am a Bills fan. What is wrong with having my doubts and expressing them?

I wish I had your confidence in him. Imo, he is an unknown commodity and yes, I will happily admit it if I am wrong once again.

This shouldn't surprise anyone that has watched TD over the years -- both here and in Pittsburgh.

He's never been a fan of having a potential starter serve as a backup. Even in 2001, when there were real risks with RJ, he stuck with AVP. With Bledsoe struggling, we relied on AVP and Shane. Clearly TD does not like QB controversies -- and believes in providing his starter with 100% support. Looking at it this way, Shane is HIS perfect candidate for the backup job.

I still think the Bills will draft a QB just to man the 3rd QB spot and to groom to be Losman's backup when Matthews does eventually retire.

241911[/snapback]

That would be my guess, too. A Frank Reich or AVP type... Very smart, but talent limited...

This shouldn't surprise anyone that has watched TD over the years -- both here and in Pittsburgh.

He's never been a fan of having a potential starter serve as a backup. Even in 2001, when there were real risks with RJ, he stuck with AVP. With Bledsoe struggling, we relied on AVP and Shane. Clearly TD does not like QB controversies -- and believes in providing his starter with 100% support. Looking at it this way, Shane is HIS perfect candidate for the backup job.

242128[/snapback]

I can see TD's point. I won't be too upset if we go into the season without a backup who could also be a starter. But I have seen Shane play (as a Deadskin). He really is piss poor.

Why the hell did TD have to screw Travis Brown over so bad last year?

I can see TD's point. I won't be too upset if we go into the season without a backup who could also be a starter. But I have seen Shane play (as a Deadskin). He really is piss poor.

Why the hell did TD have to screw Travis Brown over so bad last year?

242136[/snapback]

Shane sucked, and yes I saw him as a foreskin as well. Travis also is horrible, a lot worse then Shane ever was. The rose colored glasses for Travis covered the brown stuff he had on the field.

I don't see Shane sticking around. But you never know.

Yes, I openly admitted to being happily wrong about McNally, something not so many do around here.

As for JP, I WANT him to do well because I am a Bills fan. What is wrong with having my doubts and expressing them?

I wish I had your confidence in him. Imo, he is an unknown commodity and yes, I will happily admit it if I am wrong once again.

241950[/snapback]

We'd have to start another message board to hold all your posts on issues you've been wrong about.

It' ok though, it give the rest of us something to laugh at.

Somone please clarify.

241915[/snapback]

That is what mularkey said, i never heard him say Matthews was guranteed... He did slip and say that there was a proven veteran that they were looking at. then the matthews comment comes after that inregards to a question about him. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with Warner...He's a good back-up, can still win games, and doesn't have a me first attitude.

That is what mularkey said, i never heard him say Matthews was guranteed...  He did slip and say that there was a proven veteran that they were looking at.  then the matthews comment comes after that inregards to a question about him.  I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with Warner...He's a good back-up, can still win games, and doesn't have a me first attitude.

242189[/snapback]

And he has a hot wife.

:rolleyes:

That is what mularkey said, i never heard him say Matthews was guranteed...  He did slip and say that there was a proven veteran that they were looking at.  then the matthews comment comes after that inregards to a question about him.  I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with Warner...He's a good back-up, can still win games, and doesn't have a me first attitude.

242189[/snapback]

Warner wants to start, he already made that clear, which is why he is leaving the Giants. If he wanted to be a back-up, why not just stick around in NY? I see Warner going to Chicago or Arizona where he can start.

Warner wants to start, he already made that clear, which is why he is leaving the Giants.  If he wanted to be a back-up, why not just stick around in NY?  I see Warner going to Chicago or Arizona where he can start.

242194[/snapback]

Because he only had a one year deal...

The moderators did not delete my post, nor did they ask me to. I deleted it.

I did it because I love this site, and do not want to do a wrong thing, nor set a bad example.

His attack was juvenile, but my response was worse.

I apologize to fellow posters, the other moderators and SDS.

Now, back to football.

Warner wants to start, he already made that clear, which is why he is leaving the Giants.  If he wanted to be a back-up, why not just stick around in NY?  I see Warner going to Chicago or Arizona where he can start.

242194[/snapback]

Doesn't Chicago have Rex Grossman? If I recall, he was the starter until he got injured and was done foe the year last season. Hence, the experiments with the likes of Craig Krenzel and Chad Hutchinson.

And who knows what Arizona's goals are. Seems like Luke McKown was the guy until Dennis Green started a rotation.

We already have two bodies: Kevin Thompson and Tory Woodbury as per Bills Report.com Of course even if they do re-sign Matthews, I think it be wise to sign another veteran QB to compete for the #2 spot.

242547[/snapback]

To compete, yes, if Matthews returns. Otherwise, if only because of the money angle, #3 will be a "prospect".

Shane Matthews

Oh, freakin' great.  :huh:

242573[/snapback]

I don't understand the animosity against Matthews. When he came in the one time, he got a td. In his 11 year career, he was a fair qb, not flash, but smart and decidedly not one to make egregious mistakes.

Is that not a good resume for a back-up?

I don't understand the animosity against Matthews. When he came in the one time, he got a td. In his 11 year career, he was a fair qb, not flash, but smart and decidedly not one to make egregious mistakes.

Is that not a good resume for a back-up?

242586[/snapback]

I agree that it is apathy because even though he seems like a nice guy an has enough years in the league to have a good disaster QB resume, he does not have enough of a resume to seem to be a good #2 for us.

I think we want a #2 who has:

1. Seasoned nice guy who has proven he is a team player- Matthews seems to be OK here.

2. A QB who has been there before with a record of success leading a team to the playoffs and preferably the SB- Mathews does not seem to have this and this would particularly seem to be a useful thing in training a young QB.

3. A reasonable chance of leading the team to a few wins in a Frank Reich kind of way if the starter gets knocked out for a few games- I see no real proof that Matthews has what it takes here, but actually few back-up can prove this until they get the chance. There are players like Hobert who have the physical tools but not the mental power to be a back-up. There are players like AVP who can win games and be outstanding in mid-game relief, but if the other team and DBs get to look at a little film and prepare to exploit his weaknesses he can be had. There are perfect back-ups like Frank Reich who cannot only come in relief but actually are even better when they have a little time to prepare. There are the Tom Bradys who should be starting.

4. Know there role and will not be a cancer when they do well snf have a #2 cap hit.

I have real doubts about Matthews for numbers 2 and 3.

The ironic thing here is that Bledsoe sucks as a #1 but actually has clear indicators that as far as #1, 2 and 3 he would have been the perfect back-up for JP. Unfortunately his cap hit was too high and though he is unlikely to ever be a cancer he still sees himself as a starter and needed to be cut.