Time to admit it: Marrone>Ryan

Estelle Getty

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was so happy when Rex was hired and now can't wait until he's fired. Now I see why the Jets were so happy to see him go.

Yeah because they're doing so well without him. The only mild success they've had is because of Chan and Fitz, even Revis is back to a normal cb.

There are 32 teams in this league, and only one or two that don't have this exact same theme on their message boards right now. "Our coach sucks and needs to be fired, we need our old one back, or a new one, then our guys will play better and we'll win more games......"

Rex is probably best as a DC, but I like him as our head coach. We are a 500 team like just about any team ever with a qb in his first year playing. Not sure what people expected this year from a team that had 3 quarterbacks ranked about even in the 3rd preseason game. Rex and Roman know where they want to go, it's just going to take some time. I see a Mario and Kyle cut coming in the offseason, and our first 3 picks being LB, DE, DT. Maybe even LB, LB, DE.

Meanwhile enjoy the games, we aren't good enough to win the bowl so just relax, we'll get some more wins this year and make it worth watching.

I would still take Rex over Marrone.

The Rex hire was a huge reason why we signed Tyrod. Rex brought in a competent OC. Maybe not a great one, but a decent one. We are around or near the top ten in scoring right now.

Our defense for sure regressed early in the season, but it is showing up a lot better now. I am pretty sure that defense will get to where it needs to be eventually There is too much good talent and rex is too good of a defensive mind. There still needs to be some better chemestry between the coaches and players, and it will get there. They are putting in new systems and are 1 game away from matching marrones first year record. Gotta give these coaches a chance to put in their system, as frustrating as it is.

But I see this team getting better and better, even if they are failing short. That game plan for new england was great, and you could argue rex outcoached the patriots that day, the players just were beat by better players. and refs are dumb.

But I do see this team getting better and better. With marrone, after two years I really wasn't expecting the offense and espcially the oline to get any better. we went 2 years without seeing improvement. at least with rex, I see this team getting better.

Still, how cool would it have been if we signed Arians over Marrone back in the day? I bet we would have beaten the pats 4 times in the past 3 years

There are 20 teams right now with records ranging from 4-7 to 6-5.

At this point last season, 8 teams were within this range.

That's a win pct. range of .545 and .364

At the end of 2014, there were 9 teams within this range.

Bills fans need to ditch their delusions of grandeur if they wish salvage a sliver of sanity.

Edited by The Big Cat

Yeah because they're doing so well without him. The only mild success they've had is because of Chan and Fitz, even Revis is back to a normal cb.

There are 32 teams in this league, and only one or two that don't have this exact same theme on their message boards right now. "Our coach sucks and needs to be fired, we need our old one back, or a new one, then our guys will play better and we'll win more games......"

Rex is probably best as a DC, but I like him as our head coach. We are a 500 team like just about any team ever with a qb in his first year playing. Not sure what people expected this year from a team that had 3 quarterbacks ranked about even in the 3rd preseason game. Rex and Roman know where they want to go, it's just going to take some time. I see a Mario and Kyle cut coming in the offseason, and our first 3 picks being LB, DE, DT. Maybe even LB, LB, DE.

Meanwhile enjoy the games, we aren't good enough to win the bowl so just relax, we'll get some more wins this year and make it worth watching.

thats a great perspective....

I agree with all of this except the lack of safeties drafted.

I LOVE THIS COACH

I HATE THIS COACH

I LOVE THIS COACH

I HATE THIS COACH

I LOVE THIS COACH

I HATE THIS COACH

I LOVE THIS COACH

I HATE THIS COACH

Shouldn't that pattern follow the W-L record? I agree with the sentiment.

Winning cures this problem. No one is calling for Marvin Lewis' head in Cinci, but boy was he on the hot seat in the past.

Don't change for change sake, it already will take another year to retool the defensive players to Rex's liking.

Do you even watch other football games or other teams? The 2015 NY Jets are doing so well this year not because of Chan Gailey or Fitz, but rather their defense has been right around #1 all season long. Currently the NY Jets are fielding the #3 overall defense in yards. #12 against the pass, #1 against the rush, #7 in give/take.

The Jets offense is currently 14th in total defense, and 20th in passing, 14th in rushing. Those numbers put their current offense at a very mediocre grade. BTW Revis was injured recently and didn't play the last two games because of a concussion.

Rex Ryan is the Buffalo Bills DC, and sets up the scheme for his assistant coaches. The team is running the scheme he is directing them to run. Stating that you do need to realize that a huge reason this team is losing games, and not doing well on defense is because of the lack of pressure on the opposing QB's almost all season long. The reason I say almost is because Ryan's defense showed up recently in the second game against the Patriots were his Buffalo defense was able to put more pressure on Brady then he has seen the last seven years! Brady was under pressure 20 of his 40 drop backs.

Currently the Buffalo Bills are 30th in QB sacks, pressures, hurries. From #1 in the league last year to 30th this year, and you think he is still a top NFL defensive coordinator?

The Bills are currently 20th in total defense. Those numbers are just crazy bad for this year, and after watching that Patriots game I came to realize its all in the schemes. Ryan showed he can still blitz in that NE game, and get after the QB like he was supposed to do this season. Instead we get to watch some lame cover scheme that is like watching the talent being wasted in 2010-2013 with Edwards-Wannstedt as DC's.

The defense is so bad this year in getting pressure on the opposing QB I have to ask myself is it contrived? Is Rex Ryan purposely trying to get fired? Rex's brother was just fired by the Saints for having the #31st worst defense in the NFL, and the Bills defense is slowly but surely getting there. Do the boys want to spend more time with the dad? Is Ryan attempting to pull a Doug Marrone of sorts in getting paid by Buffalo while working another job? After all he is currently under contract for another 4 years at 5 mill per.

Is Ryan attempting to tank the defense the same way Marrone tanked the offense last year in attempting to get more power by getting Whaley fired? I don't know what the answer is, and I only know what I see. I saw the Bills get so much pressure on Brady that he was literally screaming at his O line because of that pressure. Then he lets scrub Alex Smith have all the time in the world to throw deep passes. Cover over pressure never works.

Like I said I don't know what the answer is, and I only know that this year is being screwed by the head coach for some unknown reason. For me its pretty tough to sit back and watch the games knowing that they could be terrorizing QB's every game instead of letting them have all day to throw. I think the players themselves realize something is wrong too. From first to 30th with basically the same players, and both Kyle Williams, and Mario were absent for that second Patriots game. Think about it!

I never thiught I would say this but the Bills are almost certainly a playoff team in a weak AFC if the Bills stayed the course with Marrone (or he wanted to stay, or we gave him the contract extension, or he didn't dislike whaley, or whatever the case). There is one word to describe Ryan and his whole staff: SLOPPY. From play calling on offense, to not knowing when to challenge and when not to, to untimely rotation of players, to personal fouls, to bad penalties, to......

I disagree. IMO they are dopplegangers, mirror images.

Marrone had the brains to hire a good and a great DC in Pettine and Schwartz. He hired an inexperienced OC and was widely regarded as "masterminding" the offense, which was mediocre to ineffective. He dumped Fitz in favor of "made of Glass" Kolb and it bit him big time. He apparently insisted on a certain prototype of OLman to fit his scheme, and failed to make effective use of the players he had, who had been more effective in previous years. He was apparently not inspirational as a leader of men, but instilled discipline, perhaps to excess. So we had a great D and a mediocre/sometimes ineffective O that could not win games on its own.

Ryan had the brains to hire a previously effective OC in Roman and bring in a lot of offensive firepower, including a "sleeper" QB and a vet. He hired "his boy" as DC and is widely regarded as masterminding the defense, which is proving mediocre to ineffective. He is using a proven elite DL ineffectively and in a way that exposes an adequate LB corp, and is failing to make effective use of the players he has. He is highly inspirational as a leader of men, perhaps to excess, but appears to lack discipline and the ability to instill discipline. So we have a more effective O that is capable of winning games on its own despite decimating injuries, and an unreliable, sometimes ineffective, D that can not hang on to a lead for us.

It seems they both have fatal flaws.

Do you even watch other football games or other teams? The 2015 NY Jets are doing so well this year not because of Chan Gailey or Fitz, but rather their defense has been right around #1 all season long. Currently the NY Jets are fielding the #3 overall defense in yards. #12 against the pass, #1 against the rush, #7 in give/take.

The Jets offense is currently 14th in total defense, and 20th in passing, 14th in rushing. Those numbers put their current offense at a very mediocre grade. BTW Revis was injured recently and didn't play the last two games because of a concussion.

Rex Ryan is the Buffalo Bills DC, and sets up the scheme for his assistant coaches. The team is running the scheme he is directing them to run. Stating that you do need to realize that a huge reason this team is losing games, and not doing well on defense is because of the lack of pressure on the opposing QB's almost all season long. The reason I say almost is because Ryan's defense showed up recently in the second game against the Patriots were his Buffalo defense was able to put more pressure on Brady then he has seen the last seven years! Brady was under pressure 20 of his 40 drop backs.

Currently the Buffalo Bills are 30th in QB sacks, pressures, hurries. From #1 in the league last year to 30th this year, and you think he is still a top NFL defensive coordinator?

The Bills are currently 20th in total defense. Those numbers are just crazy bad for this year, and after watching that Patriots game I came to realize its all in the schemes. Ryan showed he can still blitz in that NE game, and get after the QB like he was supposed to do this season. Instead we get to watch some lame cover scheme that is like watching the talent being wasted in 2010-2013 with Edwards-Wannstedt as DC's.

The defense is so bad this year in getting pressure on the opposing QB I have to ask myself is it contrived? Is Rex Ryan purposely trying to get fired? Rex's brother was just fired by the Saints for having the #31st worst defense in the NFL, and the Bills defense is slowly but surely getting there. Do the boys want to spend more time with the dad? Is Ryan attempting to pull a Doug Marrone of sorts in getting paid by Buffalo while working another job? After all he is currently under contract for another 4 years at 5 mill per.

Is Ryan attempting to tank the defense the same way Marrone tanked the offense last year in attempting to get more power by getting Whaley fired? I don't know what the answer is, and I only know what I see. I saw the Bills get so much pressure on Brady that he was literally screaming at his O line because of that pressure. Then he lets scrub Alex Smith have all the time in the world to throw deep passes. Cover over pressure never works.

Like I said I don't know what the answer is, and I only know that this year is being screwed by the head coach for some unknown reason. For me its pretty tough to sit back and watch the games knowing that they could be terrorizing QB's every game instead of letting them have all day to throw. I think the players themselves realize something is wrong too. From first to 30th with basically the same players, and both Kyle Williams, and Mario were absent for that second Patriots game. Think about it!

Maybe its time to admit that their d-line is better than ours. Their LBs are actual 3-4 line backers, who understand their roles and gaps and stop runs. They go 3 to 4 deep at corner. They have skrine - who is an excellent nickel corner and 2 of the best man corners in the league. Oh and safeties that aren't flat out terrible.

The middle of the field is wide open against us, and if they get to the 2nd level on running plays teams absolutely destroy us.

Rex wanted to have the best rush defense in the league, because it makes every other aspect of your defense better by proxy. Longer 3rd downs = more 4th downs (and turnovers). More 4th downs = less yards. Less yards = Less points. The fact that our LBs and Safeties have VASTLY under-performed in our losses goes to show that.

Look at our losses and who made the mistakes that cost us points on the board (not counting the NE games). Giants - missed tackle costs us a stop - and the game. Cinn - generally missing tackles and getting gashed in the run game. Jacksonville - TJ yeldon beat us down, poor gap discipline. And then KC - Spencer ware just running all over us. The most important position on this D is lacking in talent.

A little nugget to chew on. Last year, Bills won 3 games with a differential of less than 3 points. In each of those games, Carpenter was the difference maker because his FGs were needed for the wins. This year, Bills only have one win with a differential of less than 3 points, and Carpenter didn't attempt a FG in that game. But a handful of his XP & FG misses affected the playcalling after the misses, and you can argue that it helped swing the NE away game and certainly impacted the KC game.

If Carpenter kicks at the same level as last year, Bills have one more FG and 2 more XPs.

Maybe its time to admit that their d-line is better than ours. Their LBs are actual 3-4 line backers, who understand their roles and gaps and stop runs. They go 3 to 4 deep at corner. They have skrine - who is an excellent nickel corner and 2 of the best man corners in the league. Oh and safeties that aren't flat out terrible.

The middle of the field is wide open against us, and if they get to the 2nd level on running plays teams absolutely destroy us.

Rex wanted to have the best rush defense in the league, because it makes every other aspect of your defense better by proxy. Longer 3rd downs = more 4th downs (and turnovers). More 4th downs = less yards. Less yards = Less points. The fact that our LBs and Safeties have VASTLY under-performed in our losses goes to show that.

Look at our losses and who made the mistakes that cost us points on the board (not counting the NE games). Giants - missed tackle costs us a stop - and the game. Cinn - generally missing tackles and getting gashed in the run game. Jacksonville - TJ yeldon beat us down, poor gap discipline. And then KC - Spencer ware just running all over us. The most important position on this D is lacking in talent.

Everything about out defense was better than there's last year. And Cromartie has been bad all year, and Revis has looked a step slow.

Rex Ryan > Doug Marrone

Based on headlines or?