2015 Fall Guy

Nice straw man argument. Who's stating that here?

The current administration has some holdovers from the Nix years. Let's not muddy the waters and claim that the people who couldn't get it right from 2010 through 2012 are completely different than the 2013-forward years. And I don't think anyone's talking 2000-2009 anymore. That's ancient history, albeit bad history.

Who's stating that?

Anyone that talks about "15 years", "continuing failure", etc etc

Plain as can be.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who's stating that?

Plain as can be.

I don't think anyone in this thread is assigning blame for all 15 years of futility. The administration, coaches and players have all changed over the past 15 years, so other than the owner and his key chiefs, no one has been here for the whole time.

I read the OP as saying the fans and media will be looking for a fall guy for this year's failure to make the playoffs (if it happens) because the longer the streak of futility continues, the less patience there is for standing pat.

Regardless of what fans thought when they purchased their ST's , the realistic expectation was still that the team would be about average. Largely due to the unresolved issues at Quarterback, the most important position in the NFL. Add in the installation of a new offensive and defensive system, and average seems about right for year one. As a fan I always want more, but that doesn't make it realistic. Resigning their own good players doesn't improve the team if it was about average to begin with. That leaves the McCoy and Clay acquisitions. Upgrades to be sure, but probably not enough to fulfill playoff dreams. Those would be more likely if the Bills had stayed the same at TE and RB and added say, a Carson Palmer. There weren't any of those available so the Bills had to spend $ somewhere. Fine , but that's the reason the reaction from most NFL observers was still " yeah, but who's the QB?" Perhaps the ticket demand was driven more by the release of pent- up angst about the team's future. That hurdle was cleared far more than any on the field.

I suppose if you repeat a lie long enough it becomes true or so the saying goes.

You mention players, but fail to highlight that the Rex signing had people excited as well. Being a player in UFA with TPegs' money in contrast to previous years should not be downplayed either.

There were other seasons when fans bought 55k+ season tickets. 2009 when RW had Russ sign TO. Or 2008 when it seemed they'd actually get beyond 7-9 but neither year matched the hype. Compare those seasons to 2010 when Nix and Chan were all who'd work here. That was a low point in team history.

Who's stating that?

Plain as can be.

The thread is titled, "2015 Fall Guy" and there is no connotation of anything about "15" years here. I'm not sure why you're inferring that the point is the duration for not making the playoffs.

I don't think anyone in this thread is assigning blame for all 15 years of futility. The administration, coaches and players have all changed over the past 15 years, so other than the owner and his key chiefs, no one has been here for the whole time.

I read the OP as saying the fans and media will be looking for a fall guy for this year's failure to make the playoffs (if it happens) because the longer the streak of futility continues, the less patience there is for standing pat.

Thank you.

And I'm saying that unless you're assigning blame for the last 15 years on this regime, there's no need for a fall guy

Unless the wheels completely fall off, there's a good core in place. Keep building on it.

I can't help but think of the Bengals for the last few years with Dalton. They've faught through years of struggles, and are now doing very well for themselves. In that time, I can't recall anyone specifically being let go but I know Dalton was their goat for the failed playoffs.

Well the last few weeks, many fans seem to be on Mario's case. I think he's still a good player but probably not elite anymore, so we might not be able to afford him next year. I guess my fall guy would have to be coaching. We need to make better adjustments. However, they seem to be getting better as the season progresses.

In case the playoff drought continues through 2015, I imagine there will be a sacrificial goat to be had. At this point in the year, I've heard and seen people calling for Rex, Taylor, Roman and even Thurman to be axed. So if the failure continues, who will bare the load and in doing so, lose their position. Or will staff and roster remain in tact?

I say Sanjay Lal will be the fall guy. Given the lack of production at the WR position, and the need to shake something up on offense, he is my goat.

(All entries hypothetical since we know we are SB 50 bound!)

EJ blew the Jags game!

He is the goat until he is off the roster.

That's probably the rational view. However, I was just curious to see who fans, media and even the staff will be calling for to get fired.

Ah, ok.

If I put my irrational hat on, I'd say it'll be Brandon, simply because he's the only semblance of old in the current organization

• 1 month later...

Rex, but really the PEGS for a bad hire............had a top four D, but HE (rex) was smarter....oh yeh.....so the Pegs give him another year to save face.....but, I am not expecting much, other than hot air from Rex.

Clearly Mario at this point, but I am not sure he doesn't deserve to be sacrificed.

Mario was miss used in Rex 3x4. but he has Made $76 mil in the last four years, and has the stones to call out REX.....he will be gone, and get his double digit sacks elsewhere in the NFL next season. Teams will be jumping over each other to sign Mario.

Expected from who? Some of the so called experts who don't like Rex?

This was a 9-7 team last year with the 4th ranked defense that added what many thought at the time a better coaching staff, an elite RB, and a play making TE so not sure where this no expected improvement in their record is coming from.

I don't know about fall guy but it's clear there needs to be a change with special teams which hasn't added anything positive this year.

I'm not the biggest Rex fan but he isn't going anywhere and neither is Thurman. I don't think Roman gets a HC shot but he is a toss up to be back as Rex has been more and more vocal about lack of production on offense.

Simple: A new QB and injuries. Taylor shows a lot of potential, but was what, 0-5 on potential GW drives? Last year the Bills were very healthy and no one here paid attention to that as a contributing factor that might even out in 2015.

The Fall Guys are all the people here who assumed that nothing would regress from 2014, no one would get older, there would be no variation in late game bounces that can make/break a game, that the Jets would still be terrible, that NE would somehow fall apart without Revis, and that all additions would perfectly meld into the existing team, resulting in the Bills winning 11+ games. That was total fantasy.

National media types and Vegas predicted ~8 wins for the Bills and the pitchfork crowd here all freaked out and called them clueless.

I'm going to say Terry Pegula.

Because he let Kim Pegula pick the coach (I believe), and picking a coach who everyone knew would completely change a highly successful defense was irresponsible.

Rex Ryan ruined this team. He wouldn't have been able to do that, had he not been hired in the first place.