CTE Discovered in Frank Gifford's Brain

26CornerBlitz

Dude - he was 84 years old when he died....

Sometimes I feel like people just don't understand the fringe benefits of being a football star. Guys like Gifford had it made their entire life. High School, College, and the Pros. People worshipped them everyday of their life. What young man wouldn't want that? If I could have made a deal with the devil as a teenager to live to my 50s or 60s and have that life, I'm sure I would have taken it. Yes there are plenty of stories about the guys that go broke, but quite frankly that's their fault. For the ones who don't life is good. Even the guys that do go broke had a pretty exciting run. Better than many of us with our " little jobs".

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the fact that 87 out of the 91 NFL players tested to date had CTE doesn't concern you?

I am thinking that 87 out of 91 WNY commuters will develop CTE from pothole collisions before they retire.....at age 70.

We are designed to wear out and anyone who thought that the violence of the NFL didn't take it's toll on a players long term health was naive.

And yet, NFL players wear out later than the average US male so color me unalarmed.

Giff himself outlived the average US male by about 12 years.

He also played in a bygone era.

Today's players are playing in a completely different NFL, so it makes little sense to condemn today's league for injuries players suffered 50 years ago.

The rules, equipment, protocols and general awareness of concussions are totally different now.

I wonder how much difference all the new rules/procedures has made in terms of long-term player health. It has to be significant.

If I told you you could live till you were 90, but the last 10 of those years were in a near vegetative state, the last twenty in severe pain where any kind of movement hurts, and the last fifty (since you were forty) you are a complete jerk to everyone around you. Literally having crazy intense mood swings over truly nothing, where your family has no idea if you will straight up murder them, because it's that bad and they watch the news and others with CTE have done that, and even more have killed themselves.

Would you sign up for that at 19 fully knowing the future? Would you sign your future family up for that? Seriously, would you?

I am thinking that 87 out of 91 WNY commuters will develop CTE from pothole collisions before they retire.....at age 70.

We are designed to wear out and anyone who thought that the violence of the NFL didn't take it's toll on a players long term health was naive.

And yet, NFL players wear out later than the average US male so color me unalarmed.

I really think that that stat would be right. Every single football, hockey player seems to have this. Come on - Rick Martin?!?

They need to have controls on these studies.

Poor Giff had such a tough life after his playing days. He just disappeared.

Having a heartbeat but not remembering your kids and someone cleaning your diapers for 15 years is not living.

Having a heartbeat but not remembering your kids and someone cleaning your diapers for 15 years is not living.

Is this what his life was like?

Now we know why he married Kathy Lee!

She annoyed me as much as anybody, but this is what she looked like the year he married her:

1C6966621-http3A2F2Fwww.newsvine.com2F_v

He was 56.

Damn CTE

He also lived to 84. Older than any of my family ever have.

Yeah, I don't see how his story helps the case against the league?

He lived a normal lifespan, and functioned extremely well in the broadcast booth for 27 years after leaving football.

Where is the controversy in any of this?

Sad he passed away but two quick thoughts:

1) He was 84.

2) Seemed pretty sharp broadcasting after his playing career.

One long thought:

The CTE/ Concussion issue seems very blurred. On one hand we have people whose lives were definitely diminished because of the game. Then there seems to be others who are just in it for a money grab.

In some ways the whole debate reminds me of the tobacco and cigarette industry being sued. If those who partook in smoking (or playing football) knew the risks it should be their choice and their consequences. The blurry part is that the companies (tobacco and NFL) seemed to hide the risks and therefore put people at risk without their consent.

I don't know if this should make them financially liable but it is definitely a subject worthy of discussion.

CTE rate in the general population for men under 75 is 5%. As opposed to 96% for the above tested players.

The 96% is a tad misleading as those players who submitted their brains to science suspected that something was wrong. As someone who is at higher risk for CTE (5 concussions that I know of), I am curious to see what findings they have in a long term study.

CTE rate in the general population for men under 75 is 5%. As opposed to 96% for the above tested players.

Let's assume every single NFL player will have evidence of CTE on autopsy. What is the significance of this finding if the overwhelming majority of players suffer no neurological sequelae of it?

If Gifford developed senile dementia in his late 70s and early 80s, he is little different than his non-football cohort.

I don't understand the importance of this report.

This happens to tons of people who didn't play football. I've seen it first hand far too often. It could happen to you or me. The causes and treatment of Dementia and Alzheimer's are still largely unknown.

So the fact that 87 out of the 91 NFL players tested to date had CTE doesn't concern you?

not the slightest. It is interesting. But how many non NFL players have it? How many NASCAR? How many Plumbers? How many TSW posters?

Where is the standard?

not the slightest. It is interesting. But how many non NFL players have it? How many NASCAR? How many Plumbers? How many TSW posters?

Where is the standard?

And the fact that they "have it" doesnt mean anything if guys (like Gifford) are living long happy lives.

This goes back to correlation does not equal causation.

While it's interesting that Junior Seau, for example, showed CTE in his brain, I don't think that it was a major contributor to his suicide. I think the depression that does these guys in stems more from not being a part of the league anymore, and not being "the man" after they spent their entire life being the man.

So sad to see yet another life shortened because of the NFL.

?? Gifford was 84, almost 85?

Interesting if true, but I would like to know where this data comes from?

I'm unaware of a diagnostic method for detecting CTE that has been applied to the general population, and this would interest me tremendously, so please share your source!