NJ.com: Chip Kelly has lost team, might not be back

YoloinOhio

Other recent examples of coaches accused of "losing the team" --

1. Andy Reid earlier this year.

2. Rex Ryan last year.

3, Jim Harbaugh last year.

4. Basically any coach who's team was not predicted to be among the worst in football, who's team has lost 3 or more in a row.

"Losing the team" is fanspeak for "they're playing poorly." I have seen zero predictive value in future performance of coaches who "lost the team" and kept their jobs as opposed to coaches who "lost that team" and were fired/replaced. For every Philbin-Campbell (short term) improvement in performance, there's an Andy Reid stay-the-course counterexample.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are choosing to ignore the teams involved. Where, exactly, are the Eagles going to make up that game, particularly over the next three weeks?

I'm sure he's got Philly beating The Bills, and the Jints losing out their last three: Carolina, Minny, and of course, the CheeseSteaks.

USC, LSU, or even the Tennessee Titans so he could reunite with his boy toy. There's better options available to him so he might decide himself to leave Philly. Single handedly ruined the Eagles and now he's probably going to bolt for another job and make just as much if not more money!

USC, LSU, or even the Tennessee Titans so he could reunite with his boy toy. There's better options available to him so he might decide himself to leave Philly. Single handedly ruined the Eagles and now he's probably going to bolt for another job and make just as much if not more money!

Two years of 10-6 (after a 4-12, that coming the last time Andy Reid "lost the team") and he "ruined" the Eagles? Please bring me some of that ruination ...

EDIT: and in that first year they lost the wild card playoff game to the Saints 26-24 on a Saints field goal as time expired. No Bills fan is in any position to criticize Kelly's performance.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

Two years of 10-6 (after a 4-12, that coming the last time Andy Reid "lost the team") and he "ruined" the Eagles? Please bring me some of that ruination ...

The "ruining" didn't happen until after those two seasons and he became the GM.

EDIT: and in that first year they lost the wild card to the Saints 26-24. No Bills fan is in any position to criticize Kelly's performance.

that was before he decided to get rid of all of his best players. it's been downhill ever since. Chip the GM ruined the team, not Chip the coach

The "ruining" didn't happen until after those two seasons and he became the GM.

Contra Tennyson, if you're a Bills fan you're so beaten down that it is not better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all. In other words, I guess it's better to go between 6-10 and 9-7 every year and never sniff the playoffs than to go 10-6 twice in a row only to fall back to 6-10 in the third year.

Chip Kelly the GM did exactly what Whaley-Ryan did this past offseason: he wasn't happy with chugging along with a 10-6 team that, at best, would barely make the playoffs and wouldn't be competitive with the best NFC teams if it did. I think it was a bad idea. I also think hiring Rex and making the various personnel moves the Bills made last offseason have proved to be a net negative. That's the NFL. Fans, ownership, everyone gets bored with having a merely competitive team. They all want desperately to "take the next step."

Edited by The Frankish Reich

Whatever the situation is in Philly, so long as the Bills are stuck with the clown they have as head coach, I'm not going to make any disparaging remarks about any other team's coach, not that I have any love lost at all for Kelly, who is also a genius in his own mind, just like Rex.