My 10 cents on the game.

BmarvB

1) Back to the penalties. No totally stupid ones this time, but the ones they did commit were very costly.

2) TT's passing was off, you can't miss TD passes to open receivers like that in a key game like this.

3) Overall, the defense did what they needed to do. They were putting on the hits on Brady, and held them to only 2 TD's, but he still took advantage of every blown assignment due to miscommunication - and there were a few of those.

4) Gronk didn't go nuts on us like he usually does, but Amendola did.

5) For what we're getting from Clay right now, we may as well kept Chandler at a much lower cost

6) Good to see Woods involved in the passing game again, and Hogan was his usual 7-11 self. Both need to be more productive when teams take away Sammy.

7) I like that 2 back set with Shady and Williams together, but I think when the Patriots adjusted to our outside running, we should have adjusted and took it right to them with straight ahead power running and more play action passing.

8) We had the right game plan, the execution was not what it needed to be. You CANNOT make the kind of mistakes that were made in this game and expect to win against the better teams in the league. Missed tackles, confusion on assignments, leaving points on the field with missed TD passes and kicks, and those F/N penalties!

9) Let's face it. The Patriots are who we thought they were - the better team - Period! And we let them off the hook. They did the things they needed to do to win. Take away Watkins, contain TT, and limit the damage our running game can do, and took advantage of the opportunities we gave them. We didn't take advantage of the opportunities they gave us to steal this game. It was there to take.

10) We're still in the playoff race so it ain't over yet. 4-2 over the next 6 weeks gives us a chance for a wild card, 5-1 gets us in. Gotta beat the rest of the AFC opponents first and foremost, and win at least 2 of the 3 left vs the NFC East.

I still think it's doable. GO BILLS!!!!!

Edited by BmarvB

Re #3

Based on the past couple of games, it does appear that the D is starting to "get" Rex's scheme as have seen quite a bit of improvement there. It may be Jason Taylor's comments about Rex having a very difficult D to grasp and takes time, may be what we're seeing here. Would still like to see more sacks, but overall am hopeful there.

TT was not stepping into his deep throws tonight...I watched 2 or 3 that were off his back foot...he must have been thinking about the 1st game where he got sacked 8 times and feeling pressure that wasn't there most of the night...

TT was not stepping into his deep throws tonight...I watched 2 or 3 that were off his back foot...he must have been thinking about the 1st game where he got sacked 8 times and feeling pressure that wasn't there most of the night...

Yeah I was noticing that too. And have to give the Pats credit for keeping him contained in the pocket for the most part. His mechanics still need work but overall, he's developing well for a guy in his first season as a full time starter.

I'm not sure that I need 10 cents...

1) The defense is coming together. They've playing better each week and they were the best unit on the field last night for either team.

2) Leodis should not return another punt in this league.

3) Clock management his horrendous

4) Something needs to be done on Offense to get plays in faster - we have to be capable of running a 2 minute offense

5) Sammy Watkins and Charles Clay need to do more than run go routes - especially when we have a QB that is not capable of making those throws consistently.

Bottom line - if we can't beat KC next week, we don't deserve to be a playoff team. After losing to the Jags, we'd all have been content to go 2-3 vs. the Phins, Jets and Pats. IF the defense continues to play like it has the last two games, the playoffs are still very much attainable IF the passing game can develop.

I'm not sure that I need 10 cents...

1) The defense is coming together. They've playing better each week and they were the best unit on the field last night for either team.

2) Leodis should not return another punt in this league.

3) Clock management his horrendous

4) Something needs to be done on Offense to get plays in faster - we have to be capable of running a 2 minute offense

5) Sammy Watkins and Charles Clay need to do more than run go routes - especially when we have a QB that is not capable of making those throws consistently.

Bottom line - if we can't beat KC next week, we don't deserve to be a playoff team. After losing to the Jags, we'd all have been content to go 2-3 vs. the Phins, Jets and Pats. IF the defense continues to play like it has the last two games, the playoffs are still very much attainable IF the passing game can develop.

That about sums it up.

KC, Houston, and the Jets are the biggies. Win those 3 + 2 out of 3 against the NFC East, and we're in. Lose to KC next week, and we'll have to win out just to stay in the playoff conversation.

Edited by BmarvB

I agree with everything you said except for the game plan. The defensive game plan was good but I thought the offensive GP was bad. Way too conservative and vanilla. I get that you need to keep to keep brady off the field by trying to control the clock but at the end of the day, too many runs on 1st and 2nd downs that resulted in 3 and outs. Just seemed like there was no creativity

9) Let's face it. The Patriots are who we thought they were - the better team - Period! And we let them off the hook. They did the things they needed to do to win. Take away Watkins, contain TT, and limit the damage our running game can do, and took advantage of the opportunities we gave them. We didn't take advantage of the opportunities they gave us to steal this game. It was there to take.

The Pats offense was absolutely decimated with injuries in both the O line and the receivers. The main target at the end was a guy they pulled up from the practice squad last week for gods sake. That game was offered up on a silver platter by the football gods, custom built for the Bills defense. It's a shame the Bills couldn't figure out a way to win. But the Pats still had a ridiculously huge advantage when it comes to the most important position on the field.

Edited by CodeMonkey

The Pats offense was absolutely decimated with injuries in both the O line and the receivers. The main target at the end was a guy they pulled up from the practice squad last week for gods sake. That game was offered up on a silver platter by the football gods, custom built for the Bills defense. It's a shame the Bills couldn't figure out a way to win. But the Pats still had a ridiculously huge advantage when it comes to the most important position on the field.

They were only missing Solder on the OL. Hardly decimated. If you're talking about switching centers, I'm pretty sure that was Brady's call.

They were only missing Solder on the OL. Hardly decimated. If you're talking about switching centers, I'm pretty sure that was Brady's call.

Is that all that was missing on the O line? I thought I heard the talking heads saying most of the designated starters were out. If not, then it was just the receivers and the O line is just bad.

Is that all that was missing on the O line? I thought I heard the talking heads saying most of the designated starters were out. If not, then it was just the receivers and the O line is just bad.

Yep, first time they've had all their starters from last year together (minus Solder) as far as I know.

And yet, Lafell made an absolutely ridiculous catch downfield. Dobson made a ridiculous catch downfield. Amendola made a couple really good tough catches. Even some joker Givens I think made a ridiculous catch although it was called back. I'm not sure Edelman would have helped them much. Brady was clearly rattled by the rush and the game plan.

he's done this a couple times. It reminds me of something that I saw in the ESPN episode on him going into his draft. The coach who was prepping him yelled at him several times for "aiming" the ball or trying to be too careful, rather than just throwing it and trusting his mechanics. When he has someone wide open he tends to do this--be conservative, aiming the ball, rather than throwing it and leading his receiver like we've seen him do often for some great throws. Just fling it Tyrod!

We took away Watkins all by ourselves, Mushmouth.