Refugee Crisis in the U. S. (?)

B-Man

3 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Referring to DACA?  The court's decision seemed to be "Because it's not nice, and Orange Man Racist."

Of course, if you're referring to DACA, it's important to note that the court decided an EO can't rescind a previous administration's department memo, and that prosecutorial discretion is forever binding.  :wacko:

Yup, referring to DACA.

Learn something new.  Judicial review now wants executive orders to be nice.

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, GG said:

Yup, referring to DACA.

Learn something new.  Judicial review now wants executive orders to be nice.

I hadn't realized, when you asked, that the 9th Circuit had just upheld the original stay.

Their logic is even funnier: they can't it this specific attempt, because the administration is arguing DACA is illegal when it's not.  And they can't in any other attempt, because that would be arbitrary, capricious, and racist, and since you can only deport a small number of people a year the country must focus more resources on supporting people already here.

Not an exact quote, but I'm not making that last up.  The 9th Circus assumed a budgetary responsibility they don't possess, to support one Secretarial memo over another to rule that enforcement of the law is "arbitrary and capricious."

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I hadn't realized, when you asked, that the 9th Circuit had just upheld the original stay.

Their logic is even funnier: they can't it this specific attempt, because the administration is arguing DACA is illegal when it's not.  And they can't in any other attempt, because that would be arbitrary, capricious, and racist, and since you can only deport a small number of people a year the country must focus more resources on supporting people already here.

Not an exact quote, but I'm not making that last up.  The 9th Circus assumed a budgetary responsibility they don't possess, to support one Secretarial memo over another to rule that enforcement of the law is "arbitrary and capricious."

I'm guessing Brett and the Supremes start belting out a different tune fairly quickly.

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I am very against EO's no matter which president from which political order is wielding them, but I definitely think that Trump ought to be able to tear down Obama's "legacy" one stupid, short sighted, executive order brick at a time. 

EO's can be useful, and within the President's authority (e.g. handling of secret info, which authority is explicitly granted to the President by legislation passed by Congress).  But they were increasingly abused through the Bush and Obama administrations.

And again: DACA isn't an EO.  It's a department memo concerning prosecutorial discretion.  The true stupidity of the 9th Circus decision is that it's establishing that prosecutorial discretion can't be used to counter prosecutorial discretion.  :wacko:

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

EO's can be useful, and within the President's authority (e.g. handling of secret info, which authority is explicitly granted to the President by legislation passed by Congress).  But they were increasingly abused through the Bush and Obama administrations.

And again: DACA isn't an EO.  It's a department memo concerning prosecutorial discretion.  The true stupidity of the 9th Circus decision is that it's establishing that prosecutorial discretion can't be used to counter prosecutorial discretion.  :wacko:

I mean in regards of a prez using them to go outside the constitutionally prescribed way of doing things. I've seen plenty of Trump supporters who say he should just EO his way through the red tape, and I want to shake them and ask them if they really understand what they're saying. 

Bureaucracy is a 4 letter word.  

6 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

More specifically, it's establishing that prosecutorial discretion which adheres to the law as written can't be used to counter prosecutorial discretion which circumvents the law as written.

It's a direct declaration that the United States is a perpetual dictatorship under the rule of President For Life Obama.

7 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I quickly read this post this morning when first waking up and SWORE it said: Rick Moranis

Image result for rick moranis

And I thought, "that's what he's been up to for the past decade..."

He hasn't been acting for a while because his wife died and he had to raise his kids (I think they were pre-teens then).

• Like (+1) 2

• 3 weeks later...

NONSENSE. ALL THE BEST PEOPLE TOLD ME THAT THIS WAS A MYTH. Census confirms: 63 percent of ‘non-citizens’ on welfare, 4.6 million households.

A majority of “non-citizens,” including those with legal green card rights, are tapping into welfare programs set up to help poor and ailing Americans, a Census Bureau finding that bolsters President Trump’s concern about immigrants costing the nation.

In a new analysis of the latest numbers, from 2014, 63 percent of non-citizens are using a welfare program, and it grows to 70 percent for those here 10 years or more, confirming another concern that once immigrants tap into welfare, they don’t get off it.

Weird how all the best people keep being contradicted by data.

9 minutes ago, B-Man said:

NONSENSE. ALL THE BEST PEOPLE TOLD ME THAT THIS WAS A MYTH. Census confirms: 63 percent of ‘non-citizens’ on welfare, 4.6 million households.

A majority of “non-citizens,” including those with legal green card rights, are tapping into welfare programs set up to help poor and ailing Americans, a Census Bureau finding that bolsters President Trump’s concern about immigrants costing the nation.

In a new analysis of the latest numbers, from 2014, 63 percent of non-citizens are using a welfare program, and it grows to 70 percent for those here 10 years or more, confirming another concern that once immigrants tap into welfare, they don’t get off it.

Weird how all the best people keep being contradicted by data.

Yeah but that money goes immediately into the economy and they get free birth control.

Signed, Nancy Pelosi

1 hour ago, keepthefaith said:

Yeah but that money goes immediately into the economy and they get free birth control.

Signed, Nancy Pelosi

"Economists agree that unemployment benefits remain one of the best ways to grow the economy in a very immediate way," House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (R-Calif.) said at a news conference on Thursday.

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/susan-jones/pelosi-extending-unemployment-one-best-ways-grow-economy

• 2 weeks later...

I have an idea. It's cheaper, too.

Let's get rid of this wall idea and I have much worse, it's probably against the Geneva Convention!

Let's clear a nice wide swath of 100m and line it with carpet.  Then spread out millions of Legos in the carpet.  NO ONE WOULD BE ABLE TO CROSS IT

We don't need no stinkin' wall. All these people trying to come into America illegally, they just want a better life for the children, dontchya know? 

ICE: 158,581 Illegals Arrested in FY2018; Those Arrested Had 1,641 Homicide Convictions, 1,294 Kidnap Convictions

The latest U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) report on arrests and removals of illegal aliens shows that the total number of arrests in Fiscal Year 2018 was 158,581, an increase of 11% over the total arrests in FY 2017.

In addition, the report reveals that among those arrested were individuals with 1,641 homicide convictions, 1,294 kidnapping convictions, 3,740 sexual assault convictions, more than 54,000 DUI convictions, and more than 55,000 dangerous drug offense convictions.

</snip>

• Like (+1) 1

Man deported in 2014 'shoots dead California gas station attendant, shoots two more strangers, robs convenience store, carjacks a truck and then leads cops on 100mph high-speed chase before killing himself in wrong-way crash

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6506689/Man-dies-crash-following-deadly-California-rampage.html

FTA:

Garcia had a long criminal history that included arrests for drugs, assault with a deadly weapon, vandalism and contributing to the delinquency of a minor and he had been in trouble with immigration officials several times and was deported in 2014, Boudreaux said. 

However, he did not know Garcia's recent immigration status.

The rampage began around 1pm Sunday in Exeter when Garcia shot a farmworker who was picking fruit, police said. He was expected to recover.

Minutes later, Garcia robbed a convenience store. Surveillance video showed Garcia firing shots at the ceiling and demanding more than $2,000 in cash, the Fresno Bee reported.

7554470-6506689-image-a-13_1545114350394............7555890-6506689-image-a-3_1545114754431.