Offensive play calling last night

What did everyone think?

I know we were getting blitzed a lot but I was kinda hoping for more shots downfield but I guess I understand why we called all those runs.

I have to hand it to the Jets. Their front 7 is the best I have seen in a long time aside from our own.

CBF

The offensive play calling was horrendous. I don't know what they were thinking. Too many designed runs from Tyrod against the best run defense in the league. Also way too many runs from the shotgun. Not enough downfield passing attempts when our receivers were beating their secondary on a regular basis. That was painful to watch.

Wasn't terrible...

I think they realized the Jets were a heavy blitzing team and a very good defense as well. They tried to catch them off guard several times with qb sneaks and bootlegs. Probably not the best timing when they did try these plays but the calls just didn't work. I think they'll adjust for the next time they play the Jets and get a better feel for what worked and what didn't. This was possibly the best defense we faced all year, but I'm not upset with the play calling.

Was very pleased with the run game. I'm most surprised that this didn't open things up more for the passing game.

I really hate the designed runs for TT. I know that won a game earlier in the season, but, he's gimpy (for TT) and our backup situation is tenuous. Also hated all of the slow developing plays last night. What was working was quick hitters. Since I'm on my soapbox...I would like to see more of the TE down the seam...the sideline play to Clay was nice...too bad he came back so far for the ball.

The offensive play calling was horrendous. I don't know what they were thinking. Too many designed runs from Tyrod against the best run defense in the league. Also way too many runs from the shotgun. Not enough downfield passing attempts when our receivers were beating their secondary on a regular basis. That was painful to watch.

I noticed the jets were employing the Mike Vick defense- get upfield fast on the edges to keep Tyrod pinned in the pocket.

I agree the designed Tyrod runs aren't my preference either. I'd rather only see him resort to it in improv mode.

They need to be smarter about rolling him away from the athletic fast super D Ends...

Roman was mostly good last night with the play calls. The NYJ defense isn't the easiest bunch to move the ball against. The TD pass to Karlos was a thing of beauty. I would have liked to see them get Shady on the edge in the running game after the 1st and goal where Tyrod took the unnecessary sack. The 1st play of the game was a great play call, but unfortunately it was not well executed. Overall a solid job IMO.

Too many designed runs from Tyrod against the best run defense in the league.

Overall I thought the play calling was pretty good. They stuck with the run and attacked the edges of the Jets' D instead of banging their heads against the wall vs. the middle.

I had two issues though. The above is one. They need to stop with so many designed runs for him. Let him make plays with his feet from the pocket when things break down but purposely putting him in a position to take so much punishment is something they should avoid.

The second thing is they had too many plays where TT didn't have many/any short options. They did this knowing that the Jets blitz more than any team in the league. TT would end up holding the ball waiting for the play to develop then take the sack or try to make a play with his feet. He still needs to put the ball up and give his guys a chance at making the play vs. man coverage but it would be nice if they have him a hot route short where he could dump it off.

Would have liked more screens

Or this. I thought this several times last night as well. With all that pressure a few well timed screens would have forced the Jets to back off a little.

The screen play to Clay on the 2nd half opening drive was outstanding with regard to design and execution.

Yeah, they came out in the 2nd half determined to get the ball in Clay's hands and then kinda forgot about him. He presented the biggest matchup problem for the Jets and they didn't utilize him enough.

I thought it was bad. We we gashing them with the run only when we spread them out with 3 and 4 WR sets. For some reason we got away from that for a while and tried to run on them with multiple TEs and tight formations and they ate our shorts. Luckily at the end of the game we were able to move the ball by going back to the spread formations.

TT also missed a few reads and was a tiny bit off on some of his passes. Sammy could have adjusted to a couple of those better and made the catch tho.