Bills 30 for 30 "The Four Falls of Buffalo" to air Dec. 12

YoloinOhio

My 21 year old son, who of course wasn't around for any of those SB teams and has become a big Bills fan sent me a text to tell me how much he enjoyed the show (kids don't call anymore, right?). He never fully got how important the Bills are to Buffalo (he's only visited, not lived there like I did). He's back from school this week and I'm looking forward to talking to him about getting up when you've been knocked down. It's his second shot at college and the first didn't go that well so we'll see what happens.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What Bills fan wouldn't want to sit in an easy chair and watch Superbowl replays with Thurman and Bruce? That was the best part to me. Otherwise I have really heard enough about the "four falls" and still waiting to move on. 16 years now it's gotten quite old. Also it reaffirmed to me how they were outcoached in the first and fourth loss.

Edited by bmur66

Last evening couldn't help but think of a memorable rally scene today in downtown Buffalo - but this time with fans who have reached the limit of forgiveness burning their Bills gear.

Silo City of Sadness. Sigh

Last evening couldn't help but think of a memorable rally scene today in downtown Buffalo - but this time with fans who have reached the limit of forgiveness burning their Bills gear.

Silo City of Sadness. Sigh

That's pretty funny, and made me LOL, and the sad thing is that you're probably not that far off from the truth of what a lot of WNYs would like to do.

What Bills fan wouldn't want to sit in an easy chair and watch Superbowl replays with Thurman and Bruce? That was the best part to me. Otherwise I have really heard enough about the "four falls" and still waiting to move on. 16 years now it's gotten quite old. Also it reaffirmed to me how they were outcoached in the first and fourth loss.

Yeah, the TT/Bruce scenes were good. Still hard to believe Thurman only got 15 carries in the first one. Kelly's ego made him a great competitor but it cost them big time in that game.

The Norwood scenes in Buffalo sure do contrast with how Boston treated Buckner a few years earlier, huh?

I watched this and just don't know how to feel. Honestly I really feel mad more now than anything. At that time I allowed my life to be dictated by the Bills. The feeling after a win was so great, a real rush, but when they lost SB 25 I was devastated. How could they lose that game? I now say they lost instead of we. I now realize that I had no control over that or any other game, and none of us did. That is why I always now question when someone refers to a team as us or we. We had nothing to do with the win or loss, all we did was spend money on it. But what I would give to go back and tell them, just run the hell outta it and win.

Man, I really feel bad for Norwood. There is no doubt he is still affected greatly by that play. He was in tears there sitting on the steps recalling the play and his last days in Buffalo.

That 4th Super Bowl they dominated the 1st half.

Driving up 10-6 it could have very easily been 17-6 at the half instead of 13-6.

Then they get the ball after half and are moving the ball again until Thurman's fumble 6.

In an alternate universe they score a TD before half, start to feel confident, and punch the 1st drive of the 3rd in to go up 24-6.

btw...nothing about the Buffalo Bills can or will ever upset me more than losing Tim Russert, who was one of this country's absolute gems.

I loved his clips in this show. "an unworthy petitioner" -- classic Russert. Not many people left with that kind of self deprecating humor and charm.

Stan Humphries lead the Chargers to the Super Bowl in 1994.

That tells you all you need to know about the AFC that year.

They had their moments in 1994 but a late season injury to Kelly on a dirty hit by Jack Del Rio put Reich in charge for 4 games and the roster talent that had always covered up Frank's flaws wasn't up to the task and they went on a losing streak to end the season.

They re-tooled and were back strong in 1995 and Kelly had maybe his best season as a leader that year and Bruce Smith was the NFL DPOY but that is the infamous game where Bruce couldn't play due to the flu. They were an entirely different D without him, he was amazing that year and they ended up getting beaten in Pittsburgh and Pitt went on to play a pretty competitive SB against Dallas. That was the Bills last best shot until the infamous 1999 team.

Thanks. That brings back a lot of memories. It just seems to me that the Jim Kelly I got to see from 94-96 was no where close to the Kelly people got to see from 88-93. I remember the first Bills game I attended was against the Panthers in 1995. I think Kelly only completed four passes. I just feel like the offense was a shell of their former selves by 1994. I remember our defense being quite good most years from 95-99.

Watching this whole thing, I was just stuck in a place that had no positive light. I was dragged back to the years I was in high school and was ridiculed for backing the Bills. Funny thing is I lived in Florida and none of the dirt bags here ever remembered Kelly in Miami.

Thanks. That brings back a lot of memories. It just seems to me that the Jim Kelly I got to see from 94-96 was no where close to the Kelly people got to see from 88-93. I remember the first Bills game I attended was against the Panthers in 1995. I think Kelly only completed four passes. I just feel like the offense was a shell of their former selves by 1994. I remember our defense being quite good most years from 95-99.

Kelly's arm was in serious decline after those super bowl years. I remember a game in SF, it was a Sunday night(it was the one where Holmes fumbled at the goal line & norton picked it up & ran 99 yards for a td). Everything was over the middle, or swing passes, Kelly couldn't throw that 15-20 yard outside the hash marks anymore & that is when I knew Kelly's days were numbered. Kelly was never blessed with a rocket for an arm like Marino/Elway, but he had a strong arm with a great touch.