Bills 30 for 30 "The Four Falls of Buffalo" to air Dec. 12

YoloinOhio

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kelly's arm was in serious decline after those super bowl years. I remember a game in SF, it was a Sunday night(it was the one where Holmes fumbled at the goal line & norton picked it up & ran 99 yards for a td). Everything was over the middle, or swing passes, Kelly couldn't throw that 15-20 yard outside the hash marks anymore & that is when I knew Kelly's days were numbered. Kelly was never blessed with a rocket for an arm like Marino/Elway, but he had a strong arm with a great touch.

He had a phenomenal arm but ruptured his bursar sac 2/3 of the way through the 1992 season and was never the same. He also had some shoulder injuries in 1995, and that, combined with the bursar sac problem, really limited him in his final season.

From his time in the USFL through about week 10 of the 1992 season, though, he had one of the strongest arms in the league.

He had a phenomenal arm but ruptured his bursar sac 2/3 of the way through the 1992 season and was never the same. He also had some shoulder injuries in 1995, and that, combined with the bursar sac problem, really limited him in his final season.

From his time in the USFL through about week 10 of the 1992 season, though, he had one of the strongest arms in the league.

Good post and right on!

That is not true Dave. He had a good arm, an above average but he never had a cannon like some of the other guys. Are you trying to tell me had a stronger arm than Marino/Elway/Jeff George/Favre/Cunningham/.Moon? Guys like that. If you think that you are simply wrong.

Edited by Gordio

This was good but I was honestly expecting more and was a bit underwhelmed. They didn't really have much footage of them off the field or anything back in the day or stuff I haven't already seen elsewhere.

I thought they could've done a better job

i thought you were commenting on the results of that team there for a second... expecting more, a bit underwhelmed, could have done a better job..

this is all ancient history... 20 years of suck kind of make it all seem very far away and long ago

can't look...too painful.

I know what you mean. Yes, I did watch "Four Falls....." and recorded it. But I didn't watch my VHS recording of SB 25 until about 10 years after that game. I thought after all that time, I'd be ok. Not!!! I got as far as the first half, turned it off, and never watched any of them since. I've thrown all 4 of those VHS's away. I knew I'd never be able to watch them. I felt so bad for those guys.

I had decided not to watch it, but when 9:30 rolled around I just couldn't help myself... and I'm glad I did watch. While it is truly bittersweet, it's such a metaphor for life. As I was watching, I couldn't help thinking about all that has happened - in my life, in the lives of those players and those of my fellow Bills fans, and in the world - since that time. Time passes, we grow older and hopefully a little wiser, and we understand the things that are really important in life. I still believe the Bills will win a Super Bowl, although I'm no longer sure it will happen in my lifetime... but it doesn't matter. What matters are the life lessons: perseverance, loyalty, camaraderie, and fighting the good fight.

Honestly, would any of you be happier if you were a Giants or Patriots fan? Would you trade places with Bill Belichick who, for all his success and Super Bowl rings, seems like a very unhappy soul?

Where else would YOU rather be than right here, right now?

Moose, what a great post! I'm almost at a loss for words. This was so well done. You know, some of the worst fans I've encountered over the years, were Steeler & Pats fans. Fans whose team have won several Super Bowls! Talk about lost perspective on life! Great post, man.

While I didn't really hear anything I hadn't heard before (other than Jimbo and Frank Reichs table and chair being sent to the Super Bowl as to not mess with their Friday routine), I thought it was really well done. It has been the "cool kids" thing on TBD for some time to rip on these guys, so they should have been happy that yes, they did acknowledge that they may have "partied too much" before Super Bowl 25...but I have to ask, did it really make any difference. If that kick is 2 feet closer to the center of the uprights, Bills win the Super Bowl, and all this bs about them doesn't get discussed. If they had been blown off the field, it might be a more legit argument. Lets' face it, as painful as it is to admit it, Super Bowl 25 came down to coaching as much as anything. Not to say Levy and company did a bad job, just that Parcells/Bellechik really stepped their game up, and beat what was, probably, a superior team, with a great coaching scheme. Pound for pound, the Bills had better players, but the Giants had better coaching that day. And it makes sense. The Bills had gotten to that point, doing what they do...why would they change it for the biggest game of the year?

All of the guys seemed reflective, and none of them (except for Kenny Davis maybe :lol:) tried to make excuses. I thought Reich and Lofton had some good insight on that game. I loved the scenes of Thurman and Bruce watching the games together. You could tell, sincerely, that Thurman was still disappointed with himself.

I don't think they tried to gloss over things as so many here seemed to assume they would. Well done! :thumbsup:

That is not true Dave. He had a good arm, an above average but he never had a cannon like some of the other guys. Are you trying to tell me had a stronger arm than Marino/Elway/Jeff George/Favre/Cunningham/.Moon? Guys like that. If you think that you are simply wrong.

I think you're conflating his later years with his early ones. He had an absolute cannon in 1986 in his first season with the Bills, and there's a reason he was drafted so high in 1983 - great arm strength. It wasn't as strong as Elway's, George's, or Favres--all way above the norm--but it was plenty strong. He didn't have a weaker arm than Moon, and as for Cunningham, it's hard to judge given how erratic he was. Regardless, he was a big-armed QB. I'd compare him in his prime to someone like Roethlisberger.

I think you're conflating his later years with his early ones. He had an absolute cannon in 1986 in his first season with the Bills, and there's a reason he was drafted so high in 1983 - great arm strength. It wasn't as strong as Elway's, George's, or Favres--all way above the norm--but it was plenty strong. He didn't have a weaker arm than Moon, and as for Cunningham, it's hard to judge given how erratic he was. Regardless, he was a big-armed QB. I'd compare him in his prime to someone like Roethlisberger.

Fully agree. Kelly, as the saying goes, could 'make all the throws.' He had a very good arm.

Very good comparison in terms of arm strength prior to the bursa sac problem.

What people tend to forget is that Jim Kelly was a better QB in 1994 and 1995 than he was for those 1992-1993 SB teams.

Very good comparison in terms of arm strength prior to the bursa sac problem.

What people tend to forget is that Jim Kelly was a better QB in 1994 and 1995 than he was for those 1992-1993 SB teams.

He played very well in 1995 for a team with serious injury problems. As you may recall, Reed was lighting it up but went out with a torn hamstring because he was cheapshotted out of bounds by a Jets player in game 5--a game in which the Bills destroyed the Jets. He missed the rest of the season. Steve Tasker became one of their top receivers!