Advice AND Prayers needed

plenzmd1

First advice. Long story, but I am thinking of buying one of those Keurig type coffee machines. i like my coffee hot and about a 16oz cup. Any recommendations?

Next prayers. Daughter gets her license at 12:01 AM tomorrow morning. Talk about worry! It's my first one to get license, and I am a mess!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First advice. Long story, but I am thinking of buying one of those Keurig type coffee machines. i like my coffee hot and about a 16oz cup. Any recommendations?

Next prayers. Daughter gets her license at 12:01 AM tomorrow morning. Talk about worry! It's my first one to get license, and I am a mess!

Been there.....done that.....make sure your insurance covers what it needs to and make sure you buy her the equipment for hands free for her phone.

Keurig machines produce an incredible amount of non-recyclable waste; do a search about it. The machines I have seen do not brew 16oz cups, but there could be machines that do it. I'd imagine the coffee would be thin, however, as K-cups all seem to be the same size. Best advice: Get a pour-over Bunn machine. Great tasting coffee, 16-48oz, no problem.

Good luck to your daughter, and to you!

we have keurigs. 1 at home and 1 at work. my office also has a mister coffee. I prefer the k cups to just about any coffee the mister coffee produces. Ideally, we'd use a cappacino or latte machine but they're generally fussy, more time consuming and they break. we warm milk in the microwave and froth with a $2 ikea frother.. works fine. have had other frothers that also broke. you can't get 16 oz out of standard keurigs. I don't think any of them will do that. but if you drink a lot of coffee and don't want to fuss and clean frequently and want instant, hot decent coffee, keurig is the way to go imo.

Edited by birdog1960

Do what my dad did. Even though I was over 18, he said if I wanted to drive. I had to pay for my own car and insurance. I got a license right before and a car right after after the Blizzard of 77 at the age of 20. I had to take the bus to UB from Cheektowaga for a year and a half. Made me appreciate the value of a car.

Edited by Wacka

That new Ninja coffee bar looks interesting. We have a Keurig and it's absolutely fine. Tons of variety, and you can make your own pods with your favorite coffee if that strikes you.

I drink two cups a day, my wife drinks one or two, so having the single-serve machine works perfectly for us.

That new Ninja coffee bar looks interesting. We have a Keurig and it's absolutely fine. Tons of variety, and you can make your own pods with your favorite coffee if that strikes you.

I drink two cups a day, my wife drinks one or two, so having the single-serve machine works perfectly for us.

Agreed. I have a single-serve machine too, which is great if you are a 1-2 cup drinker.

Agreed. I have a single-serve machine too, which is great if you are a 1-2 cup drinker.

It's about as expensive to brew 1-2 cups a day with a Keurig as to make a whole pot using whole beans and a grinder. The latter method produces MUCH better coffee. I was a keurig guy for a while, then switched back and couldnt be happier.

My daughter is 16 and on her 3rd month of driving on her permit - God help us both, but I am ready for her to get her license so I don't have to defer happy hour any longer

Your local DMV is open at midnight?

Not a huge fan of Keurigs. Brew a real pot.

weird in VA. Permit at 15 1/2, license not for 9 months after you get the permit.

No test required if you put like 19 hours in with have a certified driving instructor and 40 other hours, at least 8 at night, that i signed off on. Thats all been done for two months. So on November the 5th at 12.01 AM, she is licesned to drive!

Do what my dad did. Even though I was over 18, he said if I wanted to drive. I had to pay for my own car and insurance. I got a license right before and a car right after after the Blizzard of 77 at the age of 20. I had to take the bus to UB from Cheektowaga for a year and a half. Made me appreciate the value of a car.

different world today. She is up everyday at 4 am for swim practice, school all day, 2-3 hours of homework, then either weights or another swim workout. No time for a job there...i could never do what kids today need to do to get into school. I am not worried about her work ethic or dedication

weird in VA. Permit at 15 1/2, license not for 9 months after you get the permit.

No test required if you put like 19 hours in with have a certified driving instructor and 40 other hours, at least 8 at night, that i signed off on. Thats all been done for two months. So on November the 5th at 12.01 AM, she is licesned to drive!

different world today. She is up everyday at 4 am for swim practice, school all day, 2-3 hours of homework, then either weights or another swim workout. No time for a job there...i could never do what kids today need to do to get into school. I am not worried about her work ethic or dedication

Uh oh!! :o

I'd advise you to hold of on getting the Keurig until after your daughter gets her license. No need to compound your nervousness with caffeine.

1. Keurig is handy if you just want a cup. It is a real waste if you go through a pot of coffee a day , or you are making coffee for several people.

2. I have four grown children (now adults). The driving rule for all had three parts:

When you turn 16 you can get your learner's permit.

When you turn 17 you can take your road test to get a license.

When you can pay for your insurance you can drive a car.

I would let them stay on my policy as long as they were smart and lived in my house.

When my oldest was moving out, I told her we had to go to the insurance company and the DMV. I had no idea who might "borrow" her car.

When she tried to stall, I told her I could sign the title over to her right then, remove the plates from the car, and call the town about an abandoned car in my driveway.

So, I drove with her to my insurance agent and made the necessary changes. We went to the DMV and changed title and registration on her car.

I had a few people tell me I was too hard on her.

Within two weeks, someone driving her car, was in a hit and run fender bender.

On some things with your children, you do not bluff.

Dude Keurig is super expensive on an ounce for ounce basis. Would be cheaper to go traditional.

It's about as expensive to brew 1-2 cups a day with a Keurig as to make a whole pot using whole beans and a grinder. The latter method produces MUCH better coffee. I was a keurig guy for a while, then switched back and couldnt be happier.

First of all -- everybody knows single-serve is more expensive than traditional brewing. If the cost of owning a single-serve coffee machine is prohibitive for you, then your decision is easy. Clearly, that's not the issue for the OP.

Secondly -- enough with the "much better product" nonsense. Unless you're that much of a snob, the difference in quality for your 1-2 cups a day isn't even worth mentioning.