McCown Out for the Season; Manziel Out with Concussion

at 2-7 it would be nuts for the Browns not to play him the rest of the season at this point. If Pettine doesn't, he's just trying to save his job by thinking McCown would help his record look better in the end. Manziel played well enough that he deserves to get more of a look from the team. He's still only played a total of 4 games. He may end up not being the guy, but how the heck will they ever know if they don't let him play? What do they have to lose by playing him at this point? They aren't making the playoffs. They will get a better draft pick if they lose more games. They could get a top 3 pick in fact. It's basically what Oakland did last year.

of course you are neglecting the fact that they see his behavior around the facility and city and whatnot that we dont get to hear about. he may be so toxic that they dont want to be anywhere near him but were forced this year. being ok in a couple games might not negate issues they are seeing in his personal life or looking at his decision making on the field based on what they are asking of him.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What amazed me was that he had only 1 type of pass last night - a quick laser spiral with no arc. Sometimes that's what you want, but not always, and that's all I saw from Johnny football - can he throw a fade to the corner if he needs to?

I thought the same thing.

I only see quick passes for 10 yards or him throwing on the run

Felt like I didnt see any other type of pass or anything showing finesse

CBF

of course you are neglecting the fact that they see his behavior around the facility and city and whatnot that we dont get to hear about. he may be so toxic that they dont want to be anywhere near him but were forced this year. being ok in a couple games might not negate issues they are seeing in his personal life or looking at his decision making on the field based on what they are asking of him.

The one really positive thing Pettine had to say in the article was that Manziel is in the building he is very professional. I think the big factor is that Pettine doesn't feel he can count on him as a person yet. I thought Manziel showed better qb awareness (blitzes, pocket, etc) then Manuel did. That being said, he didn't seem to be going through his reads and was throwing very late to wide open receivers.

I'm a big fan of letting young quarterbacks develop on the bench but have to agree in this case Manziel has good command of the offensive plays and it seems his O-line can protect him, so outline a plan to give him 2 more starts and make a decision then. I agree with others that the Browns need to see what they've got with the season lost.

i guess that is possible but that would mean the players, and coaches including Pettine, have been lying all season. Edited by YoloinOhio

@NFLMedia

"They have to see if Johnny Manziel can play and in order to do that he has to play." -- @CoachBillick on Browns QB Johnny Manziel

"I’m not a big Johnny Manziel fan with regards to thinking that he can play in this league but he did some things." - @CoachBillick

"Johnny Manziel has to show that he can do it from the pocket. I have not seen anything to indicate that he can." - @CoachBillick

"You have to have a definitive answer in your mind as an organization come Jan if Johnny Manziel can be your QB." -- @CoachBillick

For more of @CoachBillick on Johnny Manziel & the Browns, read his column on http://NFL.com

: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000574211/article/browns-shouldnt-look-for-other-answers-stick-with-mike-pettine

• 3 weeks later...

I don't get why someone should lose their job because they did something that was legal in their free time? Am I missing something? I don't even like the kid, but this seems harsh.

pettine is being criticized for this as well. But his biggest issue with Manziel isn't that he's partying, it's that he's inviting the pics/vids that go viral and that is a bad look for him and the team after they have explained to him repeatedly. They say it is a pattern of repeated poor decision making.

I don't get why someone should lose their job because they did something that was legal in their free time? Am I missing something? I don't even like the kid, but this seems harsh.

He was in rehab and was supposed to be drying out.

per the link I posted

Pettine said he is gathering information but called the latest incident involving his quarterback "disappointing ... very.

"It's a little easier to handle when it's just a one-time occurrence, but when behavior repeats, not just him but with anybody, it's certainly a cause for concern."

I don't get why someone should lose their job because they did something that was legal in their free time?

From the NFL's standard player contract:

11. SKILL, PERFORMANCE AND CONDUCT. . . . If at any time, in the sole judgment of Club, Player’s skill or performance has been unsatisfactory as compared with that of other players competing for positions on Club’s roster, or if Player has engaged in personal conduct reasonably judged by Club to adversely affect or reflect on Club, then Club may terminate this contract. In addition, during the period any salary cap is legally in effect, this contract may be terminated if, in Club’s opinion, Player is anticipated to make less of a contribution to Club’s ability to compete on the playing field than another player or players whom Club intends to sign or attempts to sign, or another player or players who is or are already on Club’s roster, and for whom Club needs room.