Whaley is asleep at the wheel.

FireChan

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I'll just say that I don't think Whaley is doing a bad job. Sorry everyone.

I would agree, however what does not doing a bad job equal to?? Free agency pickup are not like hitting with trades and draft picks (which is most important).

Well if you look at 2013 to now, it doesn't look great for Whaley. It doesn't look downright awful either, even if we bottom out this season. But I'd be hard-pressed to call his regime a resounding success and definitely worthy of more time.

I'm under no delusions that Whaley's batting a thousand, he's had misses just more hits than misses. The biggest roadblock to the Bills turning their fortunes around (to me) was Ralph. Whaley's tenure has bridged the gap from Ralph to limbo/Brandon and now to the Pegulas. This really has been the first "stable" off season during during which Whaley's been able to operate with as much freedom as the other 31 GMs have, something that was unheard of during Ralph's last decade of ownership. And, I really like what he did in this off season. The draft was solid if not golden, the free agent class brought in a ton of weapons that will really help (and have helped) including Clay and McCoy, two premier playmakers at positions of need. The issues have been injuries (can't pin that on Whaley) and coaching (can pin that on Whaley to some degree) -- but even then it's the first year of a new regime and scheme.

I understand the desire for instant turnaround. We fans have suffered for 15 years and counting -- but the Pegulas cannot operate with that mindset. If they do, they'll be making reactive decisions which almost always end badly. They have to give their people time to build the program. Pulling the plug now, on Rex or Whaley, would be a mistake in my mind. A continuation of the merry go round that's kept the team anchored in the basement.

I would agree, however what does not doing a bad job equal to?? Free agency pickup are not like hitting with trades and draft picks (which is most important).

They are all important, as are managing the salary cap, and keeping a good mix of veterans and young guys, as well as thinking short term, mid term and long term simultaneously (although granted, if you are close to winning it all you sometimes would and should risk some long term for the short term). But there are a lot of critical elements to a GM job. Whaley is very good at his job and I would guarantee the Pegulas know it.

I actually like most of the things Whaley has done, and I wouldn't like losing an above average GM who has made some big mistakes for an unknown. But I think his diminished role will be reporting to a football czar/consultant type along with Rex, if Whaley does stay. He won't be the head honcho in the football ops department IMO.

And the Pegulas can't be fired. However, I reject the notion that the Pegulas automatically know what they're doing running this team. Luckily, you don't get to where they are without self-assessment, and I have the utmost confidence they won't repeat mistakes.

Whether they knew what they were doing or not, or even if they should have been doing it, doesn't matter. The fact is, the Pegs were both very much involved in the interviewing and hiring of Rex. There's almost no chance whatsoever that they pin the HC hire, good or bad, entirely on Whaley's shoulders.

If you want to blame Whaley for hiring Rex and see him fired after 7 weeks, you're gonna have a long wait.

How will the Bills ever get better if they fire the HC and GM after 7 games?

Relax and have a beer. All is well. :beer:

Apparently that's what you do now, fire everyone and bench the players after one loss. Nothing less then perfect wins, against the best teams in the league, every week should be acceptable. Oh yeah... And every draft pick should be a probowler and never get injured!

The demand for complete and total perfection is all that matters.

Fire Whaley and bring back Tom Donahoe --PLEASE STOP THE NONSENSE - there are 5 really good QB's in all of Football - the rest are sometimes good and sometime bad as DW said we are in QB purgatory - let's hope TT has more good than bad the rest of the way.

Maybe you should change your name to "FireEveryone?"

If there is ONE thing from this thread that should happen, it's this.

There are people that like to make their point, then there are people that LOOOOOVE a crusade. I'll leave it up to the masses to decide where FC fits :D

I don't know about the Bills trading for any players but I wonder if they can get a draft pick from SD for a guy like Harvin. Chargers are losing Keenan Allen and they wanted Harvin in the offseason. But he'd have to magically pass a physical.

What team will make that deal with his injury question? None.

Well if you look at 2013 to now, it doesn't look great for Whaley. It doesn't look downright awful either, even if we bottom out this season. But I'd be hard-pressed to call his regime a resounding success and definitely worthy of more time.

No one is calling it a resounding success, but he's done pretty well, all things considered. I doubt no one is shocked that you'd be hard pressed to say he deserves more time, what with the crusade and all...

No one is calling it a resounding success, but he's done pretty well, all things considered. I doubt no one is shocked that you'd be hard pressed to say he deserves more time, what with the crusade and all...

lol one topic is a crusade? Some of you folks need to find new buzz words.

Whaley should be fired for hiring an incompetent HC whose ineffectiveness has rendered all of the good moves Whaley has made, moot. He made a way better roster, and screwed it all up by hiring hacks. It's his fault.

Ummm. Thought I kept reading that the Pegulas interviewed and hired Rex?!

Edited by LIBILLS25