Whaley is asleep at the wheel.

FireChan

What's the definition of insanity?

I was thinking trading back up, using some hindsight however.

The main reason I think drafting back-to-back rookies is a good idea is because by the end of the second season, you have some ideas on your old rookie QB. Then he can either be A. the starter for the next season or B. compete with the rookie who has been getting acclimated to the offense as the #2/#3 in the offseason and year before.

This eliminates the "grow into the position" AKA guaranteed 7-9 or worse year. Wouldn't it have been great to have another young QB who rode the pine the entire year before in camp this year? Or a kid who we could've had a future with to put in when EJ crashed and burned in 2014?

Sure, it would've been nice to have a guy like Bridgewater or Carr in the fold already; absolutely.

Supposing we traded the same package the Minnesota traded to move up for Bidgewater, we'd have been giving up the No. 41 pick and the No. 109 pick, which netted us Kouandjio and Ross Cockrell. Not a lot to give up, but remember that--at the time--Erik Pears was our starting RT and we didn't have Seantrel Henderson.

Would I trade Kouandjio and Cockrell for Carr today? Absolutely. Should Whaley have done so at the time, with only the information he had back then? That's a tough call IMO, and one for which I don't think I can rationally string him up.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, it would've been nice to have a guy like Bridgewater or Carr in the fold already; absolutely.

Supposing we traded the same package the Minnesota traded to move up for Bidgewater, we'd have been giving up the No. 41 pick and the No. 109 pick, which netted us Kouandjio and Ross Cockrell. Not a lot to give up, but remember that--at the time--Erik Pears was our starting RT and we didn't have Seantrel Henderson.

Would I trade Kouandjio and Cockrell for Carr today? Absolutely. Should Whaley have done so at the time, with only the information he had back then? That's a tough call IMO, and one for which I don't think I can rationally string him up.

Like I said, the idea of trading up is absolutely benefited by hindsight, which makes it all the more frustrating.

I would've taken Mettenberger with 109 though. Guaranteed.

We are now lucky (or unlucky) enough to not pick in the top ten for the next 2 years IMO. And with those first or second picks, I would take QB's.

Edited by FireChan

So, let me get this straight...Rex Ryan should be fired for having all this talent on the team and only a 3-4 record. AND Whaley should be fired for not getting enough talent on our roster. Interesting. Rex gets fired for not doing enough with all the talent Whaley has supplied him and Whaley gets fired for not having enough talent on the team. This is just too funny.

You were expecting rationality, sanity, logic? Do you not know where you are?

You were expecting rationality, sanity, logic? Do you not know where you are?

Are you kidding? The Kouandjio pick alone is justification for stringing Whaley up faster than you can say "Il Duce."

And that's based on the decision at the time, not hindsight.

EJ is the same. Everyone in Tallahassee got a good laugh out of that one on draft day!

No 20/20 hindsight there!

Whaley should be fired for hiring an incompetent HC whose ineffectiveness has rendered all of the good moves Whaley has made, moot. He made a way better roster, and screwed it all up by hiring hacks. It's his fault.

Terry and Kim Pegula hired Rex Ryan.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2015/01/16/kim-pegula-the-process-of-hiring-rex-ryan-jms/

Are you kidding? The Kouandjio pick alone is justification for stringing Whaley up faster than you can say "Il Duce."

EJ is the same. Everyone in Tallahassee got a good laugh out of that one on draft day!

WHY

Kujo was considered a 1st round talent that fell to the 2nd round!

Christ

Like I said, the idea of trading up is absolutely benefited by hindsight, which makes it all the more frustrating.

I would've taken Mettenberger with 109 though. Guaranteed.

We are now lucky (or unlucky) enough to not pick in the top ten for the next 2 years IMO. And with those first or second picks, I would take QB's.

I also would've taken Mettenberger instead of Cockrell--I said as much at the time.

And I agree that they ought to be looking at a QB now.

No, the Kouandjio pick isn't even close to justification for firing a GM. Nobody fires a GM for missing on a 2nd round pick...and don't look now, but he's easily outplayed Henderson in his short time in the lineup this year--he's been pretty good actually. Of course, I hated the Kouandjio pick when it was made; then again, I hated the Darby pick too.

I was waiting for that little detail. That doesn't seem to be relevant to his crusade. Who is going to tell the new owner he's a fool? Rex is a salesman and got himself a killer contract. And I believe his philosophy DOES match Whaley's as stated. Strong run game, good defense, etc. The problem is Rex is not capable of executing the plan (yet).

I was waiting for that little detail. That doesn't seem to be relevant to his crusade. Who is going to tell the new owner he's a fool? Rex is a salesman and got himself a killer contract. And I believe his philosophy DOES match Whaley's as stated. Strong run game, good defense, etc. The problem is Rex is not capable of executing the plan (yet).

Does Rex's scheme match Whaley's talent?

And Whaley was on board with the Rex hire. Do you think Pegula hires Rex if Whaley says he doesn't want him?

And Whaley was on board with the Rex hire. Do you think Pegula hires Rex if Whaley says he doesn't want him?

I have to get into this with one comment. if a CEO, ownership, President, jump to a GM's wishes something is wrong.

I don't know the Bills hierarchy works. A GM has input. he in the end if his advice is not what the above want then his advice

Is rejected. His input carry's weight. But he is not the final say.

"I'll take Drinking the Kool-Aid for 500, Alex," exclaimed Ryan L Billz.

No, Whaley gets fired for royally botching the QB situation over a period of years and then following it up with the Watkins debacle.

Rex gets fired for being a clown.

It's just that simple.

Donny, you're out of your element.

I have to get into this with one comment. if a CEO, ownership, President, jump to a GM's wishes something is wrong.

I don't know the Bills hierarchy works. A GM has input. he in the end if his advice is not what the above want then his advice

Is rejected. His input carry's weight. But he is not the final say.

If the owners would go against a firm negative from their GM, we are in a world of trouble.

Whaley, in the public eye, was on board with the Rex hire. What Whaley's personal preferences are/were aren't known by you.

However, that doesn't matter. The hire was the Pegula's hire, and no amount of hemming, hawing, and wish-casting on your part changes that. That's how they conducted business with the Sabres, and that's how they're conducting business here.

If you want to blame Whaley for supporting the decisions made by the owner of the company he works for, go right on ahead, but it's a silly decision.

Everything that comes out of the from office indicates that Whaley and Rex are equals, that neither reports directly to the other but rather that they collaborate, and both report upwards separately.

Whaley, in the public eye, was on board with the Rex hire. What Whaley's personal preferences are/were aren't known by you.

However, that doesn't matter. The hire was the Pegula's hire, and no amount of hemming, hawing, and wish-casting on your part changes that. That's how they conducted business with the Sabres, and that's how they're conducting business here.

If you want to blame Whaley for supporting the decisions made by the owner of the company he works for, go right on ahead, but it's a silly decision.

Everything that comes out of the from office indicates that Whaley and Rex are equals, that neither reports directly to the other but rather that they collaborate, and both report upwards separately.

Not only that but there is every reason to believe they get along great and divide up the responsibility for the roster as a team. Whaley has final say but allowed guys like Taylor and Incognito and IK and Mulligan whom Rex knew and wanted. But it isn't Rex's roster. That's a sign they are doing this the right way.

So it is your contention that Rex was hired by the Pegula's completely independent from Whaley? He had no part in it? They didn't consult him? That they walked up and said, "Rex is your coach now?"

All the draft experts said Kouandjo would go in the first round. So what's your problem with that? Plus, the guy has only played and started a handful of games. Your biggest concern should be Rex Ryan, who was likely hired by the Pegulas.