I'm sure that this will shock you California people

I think they might have a "leg to stand on" if it's a government pension they're receiving from their former state. If it's private sector money... not so much. JMO.

That's not how it works. You pay income tax and cap gains taxes to the state of your residence not where it was earned. There may very well have been a residential issue regarding paying state taxes to a state where you no longer "reside".

Wait a minute. When did you move from Rockport?

350 rooms for $400m - at Samoset?

we moved back last August..... Samoset in incredible though

It's not going to go from SD to Napa. It's going from LA to SF. So give yourself 2 hours, at least, to get from SD to LA. Then whatever the train trip takes to SF. Then probably another 2 hours from SF to Napa. Napa is really only an hour from SF but it will take you an hour to get out of the city. So bottom line. You want wine while in SD? Go to Temecula. Wine sucks but it's a nice there and hell of a lot closer.

i assume you know i was being facetious. We visit Temecula almost overtime we visit, there is an antique place there that has boat loads of old tools and other stuff that is my drug of choice.

a plane ride from SD to SF/ Napa is the only way to go. We used to drive it, but 9 hours of Ag and farmers signs about Government sponsored Dustbowls was just little too much.

That's not how it works. You pay income tax and cap gains taxes to the state of your residence not where it was earned. There may very well have been a residential issue regarding paying state taxes to a state where you no longer "reside".

Then why did I pay NY State and City income tax when I worked in the city, and while living in Princeton? :unsure: I got credit on my NJ State tax for what the Yankees held me up for, but for certain, I paid them taxes. Thieving bastages!

we moved back last August..... Samoset in incredible though

i assume you know i was being facetious. We visit Temecula almost overtime we visit, there is an antique place there that has boat loads of old tools and other stuff that is my drug of choice.

a plane ride from SD to SF/ Napa is the only way to go. We used to drive it, but 9 hours of Ag and farmers signs about Government sponsored Dustbowls was just little too much.

I think where you were studying woodworking is where the Buffalo bank had their CSR phone response center, and that later Apple used for a learning center about imagining. Camden's a sweet little NE town, probably most famous for being the setting for the 50s movie, "Peyton Place".

Been to Temecula a couple of times myself. We worked with a vendor of ours to utilize their plant there to service our left coast customers. It worked out well.

Then why did I pay NY State and City income tax when I worked in the city, and while living in Princeton? :unsure: I got credit on my NJ State tax for what the Yankees held me up for, but for certain, I paid them taxes. Thieving bastages!

From the IT-203-I

If you were a nonresident of New York State, you are subject to New York State tax on income you received from New York State sources in 2015.

Lots of "regional" jurisdictions are trying this. It comes up every couple of years, where Washington DC wants anyone who works in DC to pay income tax, based on the logic of "You use our services, and our 10% sales tax doesn't cover it!"

From the IT-203-I

If you were a nonresident of New York State, you are subject to New York State tax on income you received from New York State sources in 2015.

Lots of "regional" jurisdictions are trying this. It comes up every couple of years, where Washington DC wants anyone who works in DC to pay income tax, based on the logic of "You use our services, and our 10% sales tax doesn't cover it!"

New York State sources.

How long until they try extending that to taxing nonresident dividends on stock in a company with footprint in NYS? Oh Hell, why not just tax all stockholders since the NYSE is in New York?

New York State sources.

How long until they try extending that to taxing nonresident dividends on stock in a company with footprint in NYS? Oh Hell, why not just tax all stockholders since the NYSE is in New York?

Sounds like a potential democrat in the making.

I'm having a bastard of a time finding the source. I, for some reason, did not save it in my archive. I will produce it, it will take some time.

Don't kill yourself over it. I can probably search LexisNexis quicker at this point.

• 6 months later...

At $68B, that's almost $1800 per California resident before the first train ever leaves a station.

Which is why they're looking for a Federal bailout. I'm sure they'll come up with some other sanitized term like grant, subsidy, or budgetary line item to spin it to the rest of America

But a bailout by any other name is still a bailout

My state did a similar train connection between two cities and the idea was that it would help push people to support building a better local public transportation system if they were left stranded. (the popular theory)

To defend the proposition, the local paper put forth the solution that people just need to leave a car in each station.

Which is why they're looking for a Federal bailout. I'm sure they'll come up with some other sanitized term like grant, subsidy, or budgetary line item to spin it to the rest of America

But a bailout by any other name is still a bailout

The blue cities have to find projects that can match the federal money going to military bases and highways gobbled up by the red rural areas.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"California’s bullet train could cost taxpayers 50% more than estimated — as much as $3.6 billion more."

"And that’s just for the first 118 miles through the Central Valley, which was supposed to be the easiest part of the route between Los Angeles and San Francisco," the L.A. Times reports.

But never fear...Obama gives CA a reprieve before he splits.

What's an extra five years among friends?

• 7 months later...

Ahhhh, California.......the Liberal Paradise.

The Politician Behind California High Speed Rail Now Says It’s ‘Almost a Crime.’

California’s high speed rail line was sold to voters on the bold promise that it will someday whisk passengers between San Francisco and Los Angeles in under three hours. Nine years later, the project has turned into such a disaster that its biggest political champion is now suing to stop it.

An icon of California politics known as the “Great Dissenter,” Quentin L. Kopp introduced the legislation that established the rail line, and became chairman of the High-Speed Rail Authority. He helped convince voters in 2008 to hand over $9 billion in bonds to the Rail Authority to get the project going. Since he left, Kopp says the agency mangled his plans.

“It is foolish, and it is almost a crime to sell bonds and encumber the taxpayers of California at a time when this is no longer high-speed rail,” says Kopp. “And the litigation, which is pending, will result, I am confident, in the termination of the High-Speed Rail Authority’s deceiving plan.”

I’d wager that Kopp underestimates Sacramento’s ability to deny reality.