I'm sure that this will shock you California people

"Crews will have to cross the tectonic boundary that separates the North American and Pacific plates, boring through a jumble of fractured rock formations and a maze of earthquake faults, some of which are not mapped."

That's enough right there to keep me from ever getting on that train. What - an underground trip through earthquake central, USA? Sure, sign me up.

• Like (+1) 1

If it goes quickly and reasonable priced from San Diego to Napa Valley, I say do it no matter the cost. This would be ideal when I visit my family once a year in San Diego then spend a few days in Napa. Then again, I reside in Colorado,

http://www.npr.org/2015/06/09/413178870/the-unfinished-va-hospital-thats-more-than-1-billion-over-budget

It's a federal project, but you can't make this kind of stuff up. 300m project turns into 1.7 billion.... Lol.... Recently we built a projected 400m building for 350 rooms for, 400m. Not a penny over budget.

Edited by B-Large

How about figuring out desalination for water instead of this pie in the sky bs.? 68 billion would go a long way to advancing that technology. Or they could save money and just go to Israel and see how it's done. I had to go back and forth twice to Bakersfield this weekend and that stretch looks like it's hurting. Not nearly as much is growing there as should be.

How about figuring out desalination for water instead of this pie in the sky bs.? 68 billion would go a long way to advancing that technology. Or they could save money and just go to Israel and see how it's done. I had to go back and forth twice to Bakersfield this weekend and that stretch looks like it's hurting. Not nearly as much is growing there as should be.

Smelt everywhere disapprove this message.

That doesn't employ many union folks. Bad idea.

• 4 months later...

If it goes quickly and reasonable priced from San Diego to Napa Valley, I say do it no matter the cost. This would be ideal when I visit my family once a year in San Diego then spend a few days in Napa. Then again, I reside in Colorado,

http://www.npr.org/2015/06/09/413178870/the-unfinished-va-hospital-thats-more-than-1-billion-over-budget

It's a federal project, but you can't make this kind of stuff up. 300m project turns into 1.7 billion.... Lol.... Recently we built a projected 400m building for 350 rooms for, 400m. Not a penny over budget.

It's not going to go from SD to Napa. It's going from LA to SF. So give yourself 2 hours, at least, to get from SD to LA. Then whatever the train trip takes to SF. Then probably another 2 hours from SF to Napa. Napa is really only an hour from SF but it will take you an hour to get out of the city. So bottom line. You want wine while in SD? Go to Temecula. Wine sucks but it's a nice there and hell of a lot closer.

It's not going to go from SD to Napa. It's going from LA to SF.

The first 250 miles is going between San Jose and the Bakersfield.

The new plan represents a seismic shift from the California High-Speed Rail Authority's 2012 decision to build the first segment of the San Francisco-to-Los Angeles rail line between Burbank and the Central Valley.

The rest is suppose to get funded by private investment. Problem is nobody is insane enough to pour their money down that rat hole.

The first 250 miles is going between San Jose and the Bakersfield.

Which would be like a train going from, I don't know, Syracuse to Utica. What's the point? And the segment they're working on now is from Madera to Fresno. 29 !@#$ing miles? That's like Batavia to Geneseo. Yeah, lots of call for that line.

If you're going to build it then !@#$ing build it!!

• 2 months later...

Jerry Brown's cap-and-trade scam, designed to make up the "unexpected costs for his over-budget bullet train, is about to implode.

If the system is, indeed, falling apart, the emission reduction goals themselves are not affected. In fact, the sharp decline in emission allowance sales indirectly tightens up the cap. The impact is mostly financial – slowing or even blocking plans by Brown and legislators to spend what they thought would be billions of dollars that they wouldn’t have to raise though direct taxes.

Brown has a $3.1 billion spending plan in his 2016-17 budget, based on an assumption that auctions would generate more than $2 billion during the fiscal year. A big chunk of that money was to go to Brown’s pet bullet train – keeping alive a project that otherwise is woefully short of the money its construction would require.

High-speed rail officials have been planning to “securitize” the cap-and-trade money to finance the next major segment, linking San Jose with the San Joaquin Valley, that would be the first to carry fare-paying passengers.

My favorite part is the second paragraph; typical far left economics...put in place a $3B spending plan based on money you think might be generated.

Well, I'm sure Jerry will find a way to come up with that money one way or another.

Time for some Californians to start paying their fair share...again.

Time for some Californians to start paying their fair share...again.

What California, Illinois, and New York state need to do is tax the people who left the state. The state governments took out all this crushing debt in their name. It's only fair they pay the state back

And I'm sure somewhere Big Government types are thinking that sounds like a good idea and are trying to figure out how to do just that

What California, Illinois, and New York state need to do is tax the people who left the state. The state governments took out all this crushing debt in their name. It's only fair they pay the state back

And I'm sure somewhere Big Government types are thinking that sounds like a good idea and are trying to figure out how to do just that

Judging by my continued correspondence with them, NYS still attempts to tax former residents on the basis of "You used to live here."

This already happens in New England, one Massachusetts judge ruling that a former resident whom had sold all property in MA, and moved to Florida several years prior, was "still a Massachusetts resident at heart", and was therefore still obligated to pay his Mass taxes, back, current, and future.

This already happens in New England, one Massachusetts judge ruling that a former resident whom had sold all property in MA, and moved to Florida several years prior, was "still a Massachusetts resident at heart", and was therefore still obligated to pay his Mass taxes, back, current, and future.

Link?

Not that I necessarily doubt you, but that's an opinion I want to read.